SaltCritters.com

HELP ID my algaes.

JDSquared

Except the coraline. That's pretty easy to figure out lol.

3 pictures. The first shows coraline on the left. On the right is very red but I believe it's still coraline from what I was reading today.

2nd picture shows my big rock. You can see the purple but it's under all this dusty white hair. Same kind that I think is showing up on my glass now. But most of those on my glass move like their alive. Not like their being moved by current.

3rd picture shows this Brown stuff I just discovered when I turned over the rock. Thought it was a bristlestar at first.

I was trying to look these up. Lots of info on cyano and diatom but it doesn't look like those.

My nitrates are up at 20 btw. Changed 5 gallons last Friday. I have 3 mixing now. It was too off water but I'm trying to being salinity up too. 

Thank you!

Well I should add pictures! I hit send instead.

20170516_191501.jpg

20170516_191524.jpg

20170516_191509.jpg

The white stuff isn't algae - its most likely a sponge. Dark red is coralline as long as it is hard. 

3 minutes ago, stellablue said:

The white stuff isn't algae - its most likely a sponge. Dark red is coralline as long as it is hard. 

Agreed. 

Can't tell what the brown stuff is, pic isn't clear enough. 

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Agreed. 

Can't tell what the brown stuff is, pic isn't clear enough. 

Ha I meant to say that too. Almost looks like a gorgonian or a bunch of aiptasia in a hole 

I'll have to look up aphasia. I forgot about that one.

And I'll get a better pic.

That big rock... It Has a few different kinds of sponge I guess. I'm going to name it my pineapple rock.

*aphasia. What a weird autocorrect.

I looked at pictures and didn't think it was aiptasia. Looked like tubes on Google. Now I came home to take a new photo and when I zoomed it looks a lot like aiptasia. 

The red is coraline. So that's two solved.

The big rock... Its not showing up right. I have this neon sponge and also this plastic looking purplish sponge. But also this tan very light hairy stuff all over. I don't know. It grows around where the coraline is growing too.  It brushes off with a finger but I'm not sure I should be spreading it like that.

Archived