Cultivated Reef

EUREKA! Stalled cycle? Fluval Evo 13.5

dandelion

23 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

I don't disagree. What other tests have you used?

I did test with a seachem ammonia badge, which is what I have on hand. However that test only tests for free ammonia (vs free ammonia + ammonium) At a pH of 7 6ppm of total ammonia would be roughly 0.03ppm of free ammonia (according to the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation) so it really didn't have a high enough resolution to give me a meaningful reading.

8 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

I love API test. Quick, cheep, and accurate enough for me to know if there is a problem. I honestly don't test unless there is a red flag in the tank, I don't chase prams - only happy livestock. :)

I honestly do like their alk test a lot because it is so easy to use. The only draw back is the low resolution of 1 drop per dkh.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, dandelion said:

I did test with a seachem ammonia badge, which is what I have on hand. However that test only tests for free ammonia (vs free ammonia + ammonium) At a pH of 7 6ppm of total ammonia would be roughly 0.03ppm of free ammonia (according to the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation) so it really didn't have a high enough resolution to give me a meaningful reading.

I honestly do like their alk test a lot because it is so easy to use. The only draw back is the low resolution of 1 drop per dkh.

I'm not bashing API as a whole. Just the ammonia test.  For me (I stopped using them years ago so maybe it's better) they ALWAYS showed ammonia. Only way I ever got zero was just testing new mix or distilled. 

On 5/26/2017 at 11:47 PM, 1891Bro said:

I'm not bashing API as a whole. Just the ammonia test.  For me (I stopped using them years ago so maybe it's better) they ALWAYS showed ammonia. Only way I ever got zero was just testing new mix or distilled. 

That's very strange. I've never had problems with my ammonia test. At least not that I'm aware of.

35 minutes ago, dandelion said:

That's very strange. I've never had problems with my ammonia test. At least not that I'm aware of.

It's easy enough to test the test. Take some new mix saltwater and dose it to 1ppm and then test it. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
37 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Just did an API test vs Salifert and posted the results in the chemistry forums. API did well

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Just did an API test vs Salifert and posted the results in the chemistry forums. API did well

But you didn't use the ammonia test and you (assumption) just used your tank water. No control.  

SaltyBuddha
8 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

But you didn't use the ammonia test and you (assumption) just used your tank water. No control.  

Well if they both test the same, we can assume they are both wrong. I'm sorry, Derrick. Go grow a carpet nem in a 20 gallon.

1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Well if they both test the same, we can assume they are both wrong. I'm sorry, Derrick. Go grow a carpet nem in a 20 gallon.

Yeah once I get a twenty gallon. 

This whole thread was regarding ammonia wasnt it?

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Yeah once I get a twenty gallon. 

This whole thread was regarding ammonia wasnt it?

Let me test ammonia when I get home. Then we can decide if you can put a carpet nem in your tank.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Let me test ammonia when I get home. Then we can decide if you can put a carpet nem in your tank.

Lol Ok Mr. Sensitive. This isn't going anywhere. 

12 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

It's easy enough to test the test. Take some new mix saltwater and dose it to 1ppm and then test it. 

Like I've said multiple times on this thread I've done just that ? And I tested with a control tube as well.

• Like 2