Top Shelf Aquatics

Feather Caulerpa

Nixperience

Nixperience

A local reefer has some feather caulerpa. Not sure if it's taxifolia or mexicana, but it looks nice. Should I run for the hills from this stuff? Caulerpa scares me. 

I have caulerpa in my seahorse DT.  It is isolated on its own rock island.  It sends runners so I can keep it away from my main rock.

Nixperience

So if I put it on the sand bed, will it be better? Maybe I'll just stuff some chaeto in the corner behind my rock cave? I want 1 fast exporting macro in the tank since he rest will be medium to slow. 

BustytheSnowMaam

It likes something to latch onto, so I'm not sure the sand bed would work.  You could confine it to a refugium.  I would avoid it altogether and stick to chaeto if you want nutrient export.  

Nixperience

This is all for display and export. So I want nice looking macros that will also serve a purpose. Besides codium, I can't seem to find any green ones that aren't invasive or easy to glue down. 

24 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

This is all for display and export. So I want nice looking macros that will also serve a purpose. Besides codium, I can't seem to find any green ones that aren't invasive or easy to glue down. 

Word on the street is a certain someone has some pretty hair algae you could use..... it sways in the flow. :rolleyes:

BustytheSnowMaam

Have you tried Facebook? I know there are several buy/sell macro groups. People have some beautiful stuff of all colors for sale. Just if  it were me, I would forgo caulerpa.  It's really hard to get rid of once it takes hold.

Nixperience

I'm thinking maybe I'll just keep a small ball of chaeto in this spot. It shouldn't go anywhere and it's easy to reach in that spot to pull it up and trim it. 

IMG_1115.JPG

BustytheSnowMaam

You could do that.  Do you have a refugium?  If it's clear, chaeto grows well with just daylight there, and it's a nice spot for pods and things to hang out.

The other thing caulerpa tends to do is go sexual, and it can cloud up the tank and upset things.   

Nixperience
4 minutes ago, tashayar said:

You could do that.  Do you have a refugium?  If it's clear, chaeto grows well with just daylight there, and it's a nice spot for pods and things to hang out.

The other thing caulerpa tends to do is go sexual, and it can cloud up the tank and upset things.   

No fuge. I don't want anything in the back compartments because I want to keep them as clean and detritus free as possible. The sides of the tank do get some natural light at some point through the day. I've run a sump with chaeto in my old setup, but this time I want a macro/softy/anemone tank. 

Nixperience

Right now I have mangroves growing and a codium coming soon. I'll be picking up some dragons breath, red grape, and a few gorgs on Thursday. 

IMG_1182.JPG

Archived