Coral Vue Hydros

How to tell if clam is dead?

Draco

I had a hitchiker clam that lived in my 75g reef for over 6 months. I brought it to my pico reef here at work since it was attached to a rock I wanted to use.

Came to work today and my ammonia is toxic (I've never seen the test so green before, that toxic). Everything is alive, the clown goby, shrimp, all snails and hermits that I can see. 

How can I tell if the clam is dead that's causing the ammonia spike? it's still holding firm to the rock, not sure if it would still hold firm? I haven't seen it open/shut yet.

I have to get water from Petco to do a big water change today. 

1 minute ago, Draco said:

I had a hitchiker clam that lived in my 75g reef for over 6 months. I brought it to my pico reef here at work since it was attached to a rock I wanted to use.

Came to work today and my ammonia is toxic (I've never seen the test so green before, that toxic). Everything is alive, the clown goby, shrimp, all snails and hermits that I can see. 

How can I tell if the clam is dead that's causing the ammonia spike? it's still holding firm to the rock, not sure if it would still hold firm? I haven't seen it open/shut yet.

I have to get water from Petco to do a big water change today. 

Put some prime in there asap - a water change is an ineffective way to lower ammonia as even if you do a 50-75% change, you're still going to have ammonia. Prime detoxifies it. 

See if the clam opens by putting your fingernail between the two shells and prying softly. If it easily opens, it's done for. Or take it out and smell it. Any snails that died? That could do it too. 

Well, do the water change too - but also dose seachem prime 

I don't have prime, just ammoLock.. that OK for now until I can get to Petco during my lunch break?

Edit, my clam just moved, it's OK.

Still no idea where such high ammonia is coming from!

EDIT- I am going to take a sample of the water to the LFS to recheck my ammonia level.. make sure my test kit is accurate (or not)

That's a good idea - also could be contaminates from cleaning if your offices are cleaned over the weekend. Windex and a lot of commercial cleaning products have ammonia in them - if it's in the air, it will settle in your water. I'm not familiar with ammolock but it sounds like it will do the trick. Better save than sorry! I would dose it now 

Archived