Pod Your Reef

Surface skimmer vs hob filter

Jrkrouse13

Jrkrouse13

I have been researching purchasing a surface skimmer from oceanbox 

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/aquaclear-ac70-ultimate-filtration-kit/

this one specifically. 

I am just wondering how this is more efficient than the filters current extension removing particles that flow at the bottom of the tank compared to skimming the surface with the amount of agitation my ac70 already provides. 

Can an someone shed some light on the topic and tell me if this is a much better decision to purchase and put into my ac70?

I use an hob that has a built in surface skimmer.

Thats 1 downside of the AC's, no surface skimming and the attachment one takes up room, looks crappy, and eventually stops working. 

I use Seachems Tidal filter. Love it.

Sicce pump, fully controlled surface skimmer, complete control of flow, huge media basket.

• Like 1

I made a DIY surface skimmer and modded my intake for my AC70. I know there is a thread about it on here some where. But I just got a pvc 2 join 3/4 inch an elbow, and about 3-4 inches of PVC and cut notches on it. Works pretty good. Let me see if I have a pic and I'll post it to give you an idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Oceanbox product looks pretty good and well designed.  I used a less expensive item (that is no longer made) that essentially did the same thing: allowed water to "drop down" as filter and surface skim method.  

For a while I used this surface skimmer and while I really liked it, you did need to keep the water level fairly constant.  Also, I found I wanted to use phosguard in a small bag/pouch and while I could cram it into the skimmer (bag was around golf ball size), the flow outflow was reduced and I wanted more movement/surface agitation.    

I would say if you are willing to spend $100, I would think you should be able to find something to take care of all your filtering needs with one item...or maybe add an extra powerhead for movement.  

Sorry--I was not looking very carefully at the product and did not realize it was designed to be put into the AC70!  

Knowing that it seems like a good thing to me, but I have never had an AC70 so I cannot really comment on how durable they are in the long run.  Plenty of folks seem to use them there is that..

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 10:47 AM, Jrkrouse13 said:

I have been researching purchasing a surface skimmer from oceanbox 

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/aquaclear-ac70-ultimate-filtration-kit/

this one specifically. 

I purchased this same setup the other day just for the AC50. I have a black painted background so the overflow box doesn't look too bad (it is bulky though) I went with this setup over the tidal55 to be able to hide a heater and ATO system. I'm very happy with it and will shoot pics over to show you how mines done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made a surface skimmer with 2.5" PVC for my AC30. I'll take a pic and post in the morning. Works similar to the product you mentioned only way cheaper lol