Pod Your Reef

Zoa’s not opening, need help

GSWarriors

GSWarriors

I have 2 frags of Zoa’s that I have had in the sand bed for the last 2 weeks acclimating and trying to figure out where I want them best. A week ago I got 2 hermits and a Diamond Watchman Goby and since then the Zoa's don’t want to open up because the hermits seem to want to “clean them” and the Goby has gotten sand on them. So I just placed all 5 of my corals (haven’t glued them yet) to see how they like their new home and am wondering if the location of the Zoa’s will be beneficial to them. The Goby shouldn’t be able to really get sand on them however the hermits will still be able to walk on them. Are Hermits and Zoa’s a bad mix? Would it be smart to redip the Zoa’s in ReVive? I’m completely new to this and kinda scared to make a wrong choice. Any help would be great. Thanks

PS Sorry about the picture quality. Haven’t figured out a way to take decent tank shots with my iPhone 6 plus...

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

If you already dipped them in Revive, they shouldn't need another dip. 

They should close when Hermits walk over them, then open again afterwards, that's normal. 

Leave them in that location for a day or two to see if they open up there, and make location adjustments from there as needed. 

What is your lighting?

What tank?

I've had a frag or two of zoa/paly stay closed for a week and then open up.  If you're water parameters are good they'll be fine.

GSWarriors
8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

If you already dipped them in Revive, they shouldn't need another dip. 

They should close when Hermits walk over them, then open again afterwards, that's normal. 

Leave them in that location for a day or two to see if they open up there, and make location adjustments from there as needed. 

What is your lighting?

What tank?

It’s the Fluval Evo 13.5g with stock lighting. So far i really like it

6 hours ago, GSWarriors said:

It’s the Fluval Evo 13.5g with stock lighting. So far i really like it

Ok, cool, then in that case what I said previously should hold true. 

I see no issues with them being in those places on your rockwork. 

Hermits are fine.

The problem with sand sifting gobies- they constantly sift causing sand to go everywhere.

I had sand storms and particles constantly and it irritated my corals.

bubba gump

Is that one return pointing at them . Some zoas don't like strong flow or to bright of light . If they are happy they will let you know . 

GSWarriors
On 5/15/2017 at 0:48 AM, bubba gump said:

Is that one return pointing at them . Some zoas don't like strong flow or to bright of light . If they are happy they will let you know . 

No they are getting little flow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the morph,it can take awhile to become happy and stay open. 

Like right now,I got a single polyp of Pink Zippers and they have barley opened for over 2 weeks,but yet they are popping out babies..?! Such inreresting creatures.