Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting im nuvo

Hunt3r

Hello!im setting up new thank and I want to ask which light is better in terms of growing all type of corals on im nuvo. I had a good growth on my ai prime on top of my fluval edge sitting 2" above the water. Now im upgrading tank and my wife doenst really want to have a light mounted or sticking out that much. She doesnt have experience with it. So im thinking of getting the current orbit marine PRO 24" for it. Anybody can chime in if i should just stick with my ai and educate my wife about it or is there anybody who had good experience with there current pro on top of their tanks. Thanks..

The orbit works well for softies and lps.

It will not compare to the Ai. The Ai isn't hard to use. Once its programmed, it does everything on its own.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:36 AM, Hunt3r said:

Hello!im setting up new thank and I want to ask which light is better in terms of growing all type of corals on im nuvo. I had a good growth on my ai prime on top of my fluval edge sitting 2" above the water. Now im upgrading tank and my wife doenst really want to have a light mounted or sticking out that much. She doesnt have experience with it. So im thinking of getting the current orbit marine PRO 24" for it. Anybody can chime in if i should just stick with my ai and educate my wife about it or is there anybody who had good experience with there current pro on top of their tanks. Thanks..

IM20 I'm assuming?  If so, Prime will work just great.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:09 PM, Clown79 said:

The orbit works well for softies and lps.

It will not compare to the Ai. The Ai isn't hard to use. Once its programmed, it does everything on its own.

Thats what i want with my ai. Im still trying to convince my wife about me using my ai. But aesthically she said its a little eye sore. So she wanted to have a clean look but if the pro wont cut it for some corals and nems ill probably start to my drawing board again. 

On 5/18/2017 at 9:38 AM, moosubi said:

IM20 I'm assuming?  If so, Prime will work just great.

Its for im 30l or 40. I just return back the 20.

51 minutes ago, Hunt3r said:

Thats what i want with my ai. Im still trying to convince my wife about me using my ai. But aesthically she said its a little eye sore. So she wanted to have a clean look but if the pro wont cut it for some corals and nems ill probably start to my drawing board again. 

Its for im 30l or 40. I just return back the 20.

both the 30L and 40 push the limits of an AI Prime, with it's max spread of 24".  Personally, I think the AI Prime looks better than the strip lights, but depending on your scape/mounting height/etc you may run into shadowing.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

2 primes over the 30L. I run a hydra and a Prime over mine, but a single hydra or 2 primes would work. 

IMG_1190.JPG

I keep forgetting to comment on how nice your tank is, lol. I wanted to get the same one, but the cube just worked so much better for our space. Next tank is gonna be a long shallow peninsula for sure!

• Like 1
Nixperience
4 minutes ago, moosubi said:

I keep forgetting to comment on how nice your tank is, lol. I wanted to get the same one, but the cube just worked so much better for our space. Next tank is gonna be a long shallow peninsula for sure!

Thanks. I had a cube and just switched to the long. Fits better in my space ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

2 primes over the 30L. I run a hydra and a Prime over mine, but a single hydra or 2 primes would work. 

IMG_1190.JPG

Can a hydra 26 cover 36 long tank?

and how do you like the long than cube?

10 minutes ago, Hunt3r said:

Can a hydra 26 cover 36 long tank?

and how do you like the long than cube?

Ai hydra, prime , ecotech xr15 are not meant for 36" wide tanks. You will get a good 28" coverage but any more you will have shading toward the ends.

i have a xr15 on my im 40 and I think it looks slick. I prefer the arm mount rather than the orbit side mounts that sit over the tank. The orbit light makes it harder to get my arm inside, usually end up having to remove the light to do tank work. 

• Like 2
Nixperience

I really like the long format. I wish I had space for longer. Since you already have a Prime, a second prime would probably be your best bet. If you don't have the flex mount, show her that. It's much sleeker than the old mount style. 

• Like 1