Top Shelf Aquatics

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Fallow periods suck.  I barely made it through mine lol, I kept wanting to buy stuff!  

For sure lol.  May just have to set up a "coral QT" if I can figure out space for it...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

You ####ed with my tank diary! 

IMG_1698.GIF

3 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

IMG_0248.JPG

:huh:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this...

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

#### Trump Bud. 

*points to Lounge*

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

:huh:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this...

You brought this on youself!  Wooowooooooo!

Nah, I'm kidding, you are allowed to stalk my diary and put Kathy bates pics on it. 

• Like 1

You brought this on youself!  Wooowooooooo!

:lol: Not my fault the shrink wrap made me think of that scene!

Besides, I love that movie.

• Like 2

Oh?! Now it's your diary!

Yes, but I don't post inappropriate language or memes in other people's threads.  Just silly ones. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, but I don't post inappropriate language or memes in other people's threads.  Just silly ones. :rolleyes:

Now now. We still love ya!

We are both hot topics! Bump to top!

:lol: lol thanks, people gonna read this in the morning and be like

53125261.jpg

• Like 6

So last night I transferred Tallulah into a bucket with some PVC pipe, colorful plastic rocks, a colored shot glass for a cave, and a heater and airline.  I tried to feed her first (I got Omega One Marine Mini Pellets with Garlic) and though she pecked at it, I don't think she ate anything--the bits I've seen actually go in her mouth have gotten spat back out (both mysis and these pellets).  She hasn't actually eaten since I got her.  She's started swimming nose down to the ground (started last night) almost vertically and that's where she's been since this morning, right under where the airline comes in and just nose to the bottom.  She also seems to be breathing very shallow, rapid breaths.  She still has the white spots but she's also quite pale.  I can't tell if the white dots are just dots or more like patches of white coating.  I'm very concerned about her and am debating taking her back as I'm not quite sure what to do for her.  Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

So last night I transferred Tallulah into a bucket with some PVC pipe, colorful plastic rocks, a colored shot glass for a cave, and a heater and airline.  I tried to feed her first (I got Omega One Marine Mini Pellets with Garlic) and though she pecked at it, I don't think she ate anything--the bits I've seen actually go in her mouth have gotten spat back out (both mysis and these pellets).  She hasn't actually eaten since I got her.  She's started swimming nose down to the ground (started last night) almost vertically and that's where she's been since this morning, right under where the airline comes in and just nose to the bottom.  She also seems to be breathing very shallow, rapid breaths.  She still has the white spots but she's also quite pale.  I can't tell if the white dots are just dots or more like patches of white coating.  I'm very concerned about her and am debating taking her back as I'm not quite sure what to do for her.  Any thoughts?

I really hate to hear this. 

Honestly, in your shoes, I would take her back. :(

On 5/26/2017 at 4:51 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Yesterday I got a 4 pack of macros that I'd bought on ebay.  It contained cheato, Caulerpa prolifera, codium, and fine-branching coralline.  They included a red macro that seems similar to Weetie's red titan but a bit darker.  The package seemed tiny (forgot to take a pic) but the portions were quite generous for the price!

Not bad for $9.99 shipped!

IMG_20170525_181124137

I also stopped by an LFS and was so excited to see a porcelain anemone crab and baby misbar clownfish that I came home with both!  I didn't notice until I got home that the crab is missing one of its claws...I honestly can't remember if it was like that in the store because I was mesmerized by the fan action lol.

Meet Valerie (Miracle Max's wife's name lol)

IMG_20170525_182150070

And Tallulah!

IMG_20170525_182251374

She's missing her middle bar entirely on the left side, and only has half on the right side.  I love the misbar patterns!

More pics from yesterday:

Gorg showing great polyp extension:

IMG_20170525_184530380

Paly looking so pretty and green!

IMG_20170525_184537252

Fine branching coralline wedged between rubble bits on the right, and the C. prolifera:

IMG_20170525_184550767

Codium tucked back behind Buttercup:

IMG_20170525_184557398

Tallulah looking so cute!

IMG_20170525_185106683

Here you can see the red macro with the gracilaria:

IMG_20170525_185140365

Porcelain crab went on the blue scroll that I'd tucked in there below the pipe organ the other day and hung out there at the back of it.

IMG_20170525_185848445

This morning Valerie had moved over to the pipe organ and was hanging out there.  You can see Tallulah over on the right.

IMG_20170526_123453

Tallulah

IMG_20170526_134145557

Valerie

IMG_20170526_134126799

And bonus pic!  They had a baby starry blenny at the LFS yesterday.  He was barely two inches long!  (The clown and arrow crab you see were in the next tank over).

IMG_20170525_125421403

Unfortunately when the lights came on today, I noticed a few little white spots on Tally's sides that weren't there yesterday.  About five on her left side near her head, and a couple near the tail on her right side.  Uggggghhhh.  I also haven't really seen her eat--I saw her eat one little speck but despite the LFS guy saying they were feeding mysis, she did not seem interested and maybe even scared of the larger bits.  Anyone have any suggestions for flake or small pellet foods I could try?  My selection is pretty limited here in town unfortunately.  Going to head out soon to pick up stuff to try hyposalinity treatment...gotta figure out where I can stick one of my little tanks!  Guess I should have known better than to get a fish from this place with the way some of their tanks looked, but Tally and the other baby clown with her looked ok.  I let my excitement overrule my good sense!  Any tips on hypo treatment or other treatments to try would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully it's just ich and nothing more.

(And I know 5.5 is too small for a clown long-term, but was figuring she would reside here until I get my larger tank I'm planning set up in a few months, since who knows when I might be able to get ahold of a GBG like I want!)

Really love how beautiful the tank looks with all the colorful new additions. 

For future reference, a small frozen food that would tempt fish to eat is Hikari Cyclopod+. 

Super tiny frozen Cyclops that gut loaded with good stuff. 

You could also try Capelin Fish Roe from the frozen seafood section at a Japanese Market. 

On 5/23/2017 at 4:50 PM, Lula_Mae said:

So the last week or so's been pretty busy.  Tank's been just chugging along.  Need to do a water change lol.  Blue ric is developing a third mouth! :happy: Orange ric still not fully expanded, I suspect maybe too much flow.  My green grandis paly and the one from Reef Gardener (my first one) are both weird right now--the polyp has taken on a droopy umbrella sort of shape. :huh: Wondering if it's a flow issue or lighting or what.  Any thoughts?  I decided to try something new and slid some plain white paper behind the tank to give it a white background.  I like it!  The new pink zoas are open and happy, the red people eaters are as well but one polyp is closed and black, maybe necrotic?  Still need to peroxide dip :blush:...the radioactive dragon eyes have been closed up a few days so not sure what the deal is with them.  Planning to try a Lugol's dip.

I went by an LFS yesterday while in the city and saw a starry blenny, antennata (sp?) lionfish, and some ginormous puffers the size of my tank!  Including one that likes to spit water out of the tank lol.  I fell in love with a little clown who had extra thick black barring, he was beautiful!  But he was part of a pair (female was ugly designer clown even if I had room for a pair lol) and they didn't want to split them.  Placed a special order but no idea when it might come in. :D

Today I was looking in the tank and noticed something...in the back of the tank, something was poking out of the feather duster's partially rebuilt tube (the one that jumped his tube and dropped his crown).  As I watched, the thing came out more and more and I realized...it was a crown!  My feather duster is alive and was regrowing his crown!  I hadn't seen him in days and assumed he was dead, but he sure showed me!  I am just thrilled about this! omgomgomg

New happy zoas and GSP

IMG_20170523_160927565

Right side of the tank.  You can see the umbrella effect on my palys in this pic and the previous one.

IMG_20170523_160945882

Feather duster with his miniature crown!!!  I think I shall call him Miracle Max! :D

IMG_20170523_141221

FTS.  I think the white background makes it look brighter and can see why gena and others have used it!

IMG_20170523_161024976

And in exciting news, I have stuffs coming this week. :ninja: Next couple days should be busy! omgomgomg

I had a feather duster scare as well! He was just resting, I guess!

21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I really hate to hear this. 

Honestly, in your shoes, I would take her back. :(

Thanks Weetie.  I think I just needed confirmation, I was willing to tackle ich but don't feel confident or prepared tackling anything more advanced just yet (plus I'd have to drive back to an LFS to get any meds anyway).  Some pics (got her in a little measuring cup):

Right side:

IMG_20170528_143623

Bottom:

IMG_20170528_143718

Right side: looking at this pic it looks very much like white patches on her here:

IMG_20170528_143811

Here you can see her bottom fins clamped in pretty tightly and even see the stripe on her other side since she's so pale (a good bit paler than these pics make her look).

IMG_20170528_143850

She also seems to have some swim bladder issue going on as I noticed she was having trouble keeping her bottom end down, maybe that is part of why she's swimming so funny.

18 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Really love how beautiful the tank looks with all the colorful new additions. 

For future reference, a small frozen food that would tempt fish to eat is Hikari Cyclopod+. 

Super tiny frozen Cyclops that gut loaded with good stuff. 

You could also try Capelin Fish Roe from the frozen seafood section at a Japanese Market. 

I'll keep an eye out for it but suspect I may need to order online.  Do you know who carries it?  Wonder if we have an Asian market around here, or if I'd need to pick it up in Charlotte?  Hmmm...

4 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

I had a feather duster scare as well! He was just resting, I guess!

lol yeah he scared me pretty bad with his disappearing act.  Today it's Valerie the porcelain crab who scared me as she wasn't in her favorite spot hanging on the pipe organ, she was tucked up in a crevice of the rock where Miracle Max is.

Welp, they said they'd take her back but can't give money back as saltwater warranty is only 24 hours.  Ugh. <_<

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Welp, they said they'd take her back but can't give money back as saltwater warranty is only 24 hours.  Ugh. <_<

:furious: Sounds like you need to be super cautious about purchasing from them in the future. 

I'm really sorry, she's a super cutie and has the coolest markings, but she also does look super rough. :(

As for the food, I personally just got lucky and found it at my LFS, mixed in with the frozen food they sell. 

I was kinda surprised they carry it, to tell the truth. 

Just dropped her off, owner wasn't there so they couldn't do anything but I left my name and number so they can call me if he decides to do anything... They also said the salinity in the container was 1.021, when I measured it in the bucket after mixing it was 1.026... one of us needs to recalibrate lol. At least one of the guys remembered selling me the fish.

Sad thing is this place has 5 star ratings on Google and Facebook... Maybe I hit them on an off week... Month... Whatever