Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

O what fun.  Of course we are all waiting for pics, (not that you aren't busy with acclimating, dipping and arranging).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SemperReef said:

What's in the box?  

4 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Nothing more exciting than a box (or boxes)

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, WHAT'S IN THE BOX??????? omgomgomg

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

O what fun.  Of course we are all waiting for pics, (not that you aren't busy with acclimating, dipping and arranging).

Sorry guys!  After I posted that and while typing up my post, a storm came up and knocked down a tree that knocked our power out!  So here's the re-done update post (oh, and the top envelope is actually soap for Violet but it was funny to see how full the parcel locker at the post office was, the worker walked by as I was opening it and said, "Oh, YOU'RE the one!" :lol: "Yep that was me!")

Update post:

Welp, after losing power for several hours thanks to a storm knocking a tree down this afternoon, we finally have power back and I can re-write the post that was lost when it went out!

Today was the first arrival of several things I've ordered this week!  First up is a package from @Weetabix7.  She had some Sexy Peach Galaxy palys ready to go so I got a frag of them and some red titan macro.  Excellently packaged and prompt arrival as usual!  After quick dips, they both went into the tank.  The palys were closed but looks like one is now open (I turned lights off after everything was in to give them some chill time).  Can't wait to see what they look like in person!  The macro looks great as well, a nice big chunk of red prettiness!

Next up was my order from @johnmaloney at Reef Cleaners!  I requested he do his best to make sure no hermits masquerading as snails made their way in as I got quite a few of those little troublemakers last time!  I ordered 12 dwarf ceriths and 15 zig zag periwinkles and got at least 28 and 29 of each (and no hermits)!  The zig zag periwinkle bag smelled pretty bad and I'm not sure if all of them survived so some are in tank water in a container until I figure out who's who.  I also got cactus caulerpa which looks great, some red gracilaria which has a lot of clear/pink areas and a few that are bright orange like my dragon's breath in February was--hope it pulls through!  And my 1 penny macro was a shaving brush!  Gotta figure out how to mount it in a bare bottom tank lol.

Lastly was an order I placed with 333aquatics on ebay.  I had hesitated to order from them as they list very tiny portions but decided to give them a try and was pleasantly surprised that the portions were a lot bigger than I expected!  The listed portions are usually 1/2" to 1" and mine were 2-3" each, which will give them time to grow in my little tank.  I got a purple cactus gorgonian (aka ribbon/blade gorgonian), a red ribbon macro that is supposed to be Cryptonemia crenulata, and portieria, which looks very pretty and delicate.  I will definitely consider ordering from them again if these do well!

Snail party!

IMG_20170524_154738493

Purple ribbon gorg

IMG_20170524_153745057

Red ribbon and portieria

IMG_20170524_152310466

Here you can see the red ribbon, portieria, and purple gorg by the zoas.  Shaving brush is shoved in the back for the moment.

IMG_20170524_160423744

Sexy peach galaxy zoas in front left, red titan in the back.

IMG_20170524_160429631

Snail convention and some gracilaria.  The paly was mad about the gracilaria bumping against it lol.

IMG_20170524_160442427

Messy FTS.  You can see the cactus caulerpa and the gracilaria kinda shoved in there lol.  Rock will likely be here tomorrow so I can get it soaking in prep to put it in here!

IMG_20170524_160451762

Over the next few days there will be some more new stuffs, so keep an eye out for updates!

• Like 7
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

New stuff!  That's a lot of snails!  I love the macro :) 

Lol yeah, I went under what I thought I needed cuz I knew he usually sends extra.  I :wub: macros!

• Like 3

Yesterday I got a 4 pack of macros that I'd bought on ebay.  It contained cheato, Caulerpa prolifera, codium, and fine-branching coralline.  They included a red macro that seems similar to Weetie's red titan but a bit darker.  The package seemed tiny (forgot to take a pic) but the portions were quite generous for the price!

Not bad for $9.99 shipped!

IMG_20170525_181124137

I also stopped by an LFS and was so excited to see a porcelain anemone crab and baby misbar clownfish that I came home with both!  I didn't notice until I got home that the crab is missing one of its claws...I honestly can't remember if it was like that in the store because I was mesmerized by the fan action lol.

Meet Valerie (Miracle Max's wife's name lol)

IMG_20170525_182150070

And Tallulah!

IMG_20170525_182251374

She's missing her middle bar entirely on the left side, and only has half on the right side.  I love the misbar patterns!

More pics from yesterday:

Gorg showing great polyp extension:

IMG_20170525_184530380

Paly looking so pretty and green!

IMG_20170525_184537252

Fine branching coralline wedged between rubble bits on the right, and the C. prolifera:

IMG_20170525_184550767

Codium tucked back behind Buttercup:

IMG_20170525_184557398

Tallulah looking so cute!

IMG_20170525_185106683

Here you can see the red macro with the gracilaria:

IMG_20170525_185140365

Porcelain crab went on the blue scroll that I'd tucked in there below the pipe organ the other day and hung out there at the back of it.

IMG_20170525_185848445

This morning Valerie had moved over to the pipe organ and was hanging out there.  You can see Tallulah over on the right.

IMG_20170526_123453

Tallulah

IMG_20170526_134145557

Valerie

IMG_20170526_134126799

And bonus pic!  They had a baby starry blenny at the LFS yesterday.  He was barely two inches long!  (The clown and arrow crab you see were in the next tank over).

IMG_20170525_125421403

Unfortunately when the lights came on today, I noticed a few little white spots on Tally's sides that weren't there yesterday.  About five on her left side near her head, and a couple near the tail on her right side.  Uggggghhhh.  I also haven't really seen her eat--I saw her eat one little speck but despite the LFS guy saying they were feeding mysis, she did not seem interested and maybe even scared of the larger bits.  Anyone have any suggestions for flake or small pellet foods I could try?  My selection is pretty limited here in town unfortunately.  Going to head out soon to pick up stuff to try hyposalinity treatment...gotta figure out where I can stick one of my little tanks!  Guess I should have known better than to get a fish from this place with the way some of their tanks looked, but Tally and the other baby clown with her looked ok.  I let my excitement overrule my good sense!  Any tips on hypo treatment or other treatments to try would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully it's just ich and nothing more.

(And I know 5.5 is too small for a clown long-term, but was figuring she would reside here until I get my larger tank I'm planning set up in a few months, since who knows when I might be able to get ahold of a GBG like I want!)

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Tallulah is adorable!  :wub:. And that green paly!!!  

Tallulah might eat smaller bits of mysis if they're soaked in garlic?  I use omega one flake on days when I'm too lazy for frozen (so like half the time lol) and all the fish devour it.  For the ich, I would definitely recommend tank transfer treatment, which is somewhat labor intensive, but I've had great results, even when I treated all five of my fish at once.  I'll try to find this one link for it, I believe it was from reef central, that I found really helpful.  For just the one fish, two 5g buckets with heaters/airstones would work fine.  I tried hypo once, but it didn't end so well :( If you have any TTM questions, I may be able to answer them, I think I've done it 3 or 4 times now :) 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Tallulah is adorable!  :wub:. And that green paly!!!  

Tallulah might eat smaller bits of mysis if they're soaked in garlic?  I use omega one flake on days when I'm too lazy for frozen (so like half the time lol) and all the fish devour it.  For the ich, I would definitely recommend tank transfer treatment, which is somewhat labor intensive, but I've had great results, even when I treated all five of my fish at once.  I'll try to find this one link for it, I believe it was from reef central, that I found really helpful.  For just the one fish, two 5g buckets with heaters/airstones would work fine.  I tried hypo once, but it didn't end so well :( If you have any TTM questions, I may be able to answer them, I think I've done it 3 or 4 times now :) 

Oooh I don't know if I've heard of that, it might work better for me than that.  Any info you can share would be great, I will be googling lol.  What I was reading earlier was saying copper or hypo so I was like great, my only options?  Argh that LFS...

fishfreak0114

After my hypo failure, I really didn't want to try that again, and copper seems really touchy so I was like, no way, I'm only here half the time so it's too risky.  Then a member, waterdog I believe, gave me a link to a thread detailing the process.  It hasn't failed yet for me.  So here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:

Gather the supplies

2 5g buckets

2 heaters

2 airpumps, and lots of airline tubing airstones so you don't reuse any

Seachem prime

pvc if you want hidey holes

lids for the buckets to limit evaporation 

Day 1. set up one bucket with fresh sw, a heater and airstone.  Add Tallulah.  Always make note of when she goes in, because you must never go more than 72 hours between transfers or you risk the ich cycle continuing 

Day 2. Add seachem prime and feed lightly

Day 3. Set up a clean bucket.  Transfer Tallulah.  Drain the previous set up and sanitize all the equipment (vinegar or bleach, or let it stay 100% dry for a minimum of 24 hours)

Day 5.  Add seachem prime and feed lightly

Day 6. Set up clean bucket and transfer.  Drain previous set up and sanitize

Day 8. Add seachem prime and feed lightly. 

Day 9. Transfer day

Day 11 feed lightly and add prime

Day 12 transfer 

Day 14.  Feed lightly and prime

Day 15. Transfer to a QT setup for observance.

The treatment needs to last a minimum of 12 days to be effective, I like to go a little longer.  You can do transfers more frequently than every 3 days, but it's more work of you, and more stress for the fish.  It is handy to work it around your schedule however if you know a day isn't going to work for you, just do it after 2 days not 3.  I'll dig through my thread when I have a moment and find the link I was originally given :) 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

After my hypo failure, I really didn't want to try that again, and copper seems really touchy so I was like, no way, I'm only here half the time so it's too risky.  Then a member, waterdog I believe, gave me a link to a thread detailing the process.  It hasn't failed yet for me.  So here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:

Gather the supplies

2 5g buckets

2 heaters

2 airpumps, and lots of airline tubing airstones so you don't reuse any

Seachem prime

pvc if you want hidey holes

lids for the buckets to limit evaporation 

Day 1. set up one bucket with fresh sw, a heater and airstone.  Add Tallulah.  Always make note of when she goes in, because you must never go more than 72 hours between transfers or you risk the ich cycle continuing 

Day 2. Add seachem prime and feed lightly

Day 3. Set up a clean bucket.  Transfer Tallulah.  Drain the previous set up and sanitize all the equipment (vinegar or bleach, or let it stay 100% dry for a minimum of 24 hours)

Day 5.  Add seachem prime and feed lightly

Day 6. Set up clean bucket and transfer.  Drain previous set up and sanitize

Day 8. Add seachem prime and feed lightly. 

Day 9. Transfer day

Day 11 feed lightly and add prime

Day 12 transfer 

Day 14.  Feed lightly and prime

Day 15. Transfer to a QT setup for observance.

The treatment needs to last a minimum of 12 days to be effective, I like to go a little longer.  You can do transfers more frequently than every 3 days, but it's more work of you, and more stress for the fish.  It is handy to work it around your schedule however if you know a day isn't going to work for you, just do it after 2 days not 3.  I'll dig through my thread when I have a moment and find the link I was originally given :) 

That's what I was just reading about.  Seems pretty straightforward.  I just hope it's ich like I suspect and not something worse!  Thanks for telling me about it, I was worried about hypo and too nervous to try a freshwater bath yesterday with her being my first fish!  She is pretty cute, isn't she? :wub:

Need to inventory the equipment I've got with me so I know what I need to get tomorrow.  Didn't make it to the store today.

• Like 1

Oh!  I was so distracted about Tallulah and the Ich Monster that I forgot to mention a little kenya tree frag came in the mail today!  It's attached to a little piece of halimeda lol.  The mother colony was a gorgeous white kenya tree.  Little thing had polyps open in the bag while acclimating but I ticked it off with the Lugol's dip lol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I've never seen white Kenya tree before, neat!  Found the link

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428

I hadn't either, and thought it was super cool!  Hopefully mine turns into just as pretty a specimen (though I will have to keep it pruned smaller in this tank lol).

Thanks for the links!  A bit of bedtime reading. :rolleyes:

Oh, question--with the TTM, the display tank will still need to be kept fallow for 8 weeks?

• Like 1

I really like all the macros in your tank! Also, that starry eyed blenny is really cool.  I had one in a previous tank, pretty fun to watch because they are very active and hardy too.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, COreefer said:

I really like all the macros in your tank! Also, that starry eyed blenny is really cool.  I had one in a previous tank, pretty fun to watch because they are very active and hardy too.

Thanks!  I love macros, I think they make a tank look so full and lush!  I love the starry blennies, someday I hope to have a tank big enough to house one!  Super cute, especially the eyebrow tufts! :happy:

fishfreak0114

Starry blennies are so cute!  One time an LFS had one, and I was looking at it for like 20 minutes thinking, hmm, can it fit in my tank?  And yes, unfortunately 8 weeks fallow is neccesary to avoid re-infection. But it gives plenty of time to observe and make sure that Tallulah is ich free!   

• Like 1
Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Starry blennies are so cute!  One time an LFS had one, and I was looking at it for like 20 minutes thinking, hmm, can it fit in my tank?  And yes, unfortunately 8 weeks fallow is neccesary to avoid re-infection. But it gives plenty of time to observe and make sure that Tallulah is ich free!   

Ok, just makes things complicated with space being so tight here lol. 

Valerie was loving it when I'd squirt some of the mysis water on her earlier, and once a shrimp squirted out and she was all over that!  Nom nom nom nom!  Little crab has quite the appetite! :lol:

If only I could get Tallulah to eat!

And yeah, I was very tempted by that baby starry blenny yesterday but am not sure I'll set up a tank quite big enough for one so I refrained!  He probably has ich too since his tank was on the same wall as Tallulah's lol. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Oh, silly question maybe, is the fallow period only regarding fish, not macros/corals/etc.?  Got a couple things coming so i am wondering lol

fishfreak0114

To the best of my knowledge, you're not supposed to add anything while its fallow because ich can come on anything introduced to the tank, fish or not.  Guess you may have to start your fallow period a little later.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

To the best of my knowledge, you're not supposed to add anything while its fallow because ich can come on anything introduced to the tank, fish or not.  Guess you may have to start your fallow period a little later.

Hmm ok.  Yuck. :(