inTank Media Baskets

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Sorry about your beta

Thanks. :)

New stuffs!

A few days ago, I saw a post by Nano-Reef member Zepo., who was shutting down his tank and getting out of the hobby after a crash.  He had just a few things left so I got a four-pack of zoa frags and he threw in a couple of freebies--some teeny zoas and GSP.  It appears I shall have a varied GSP garden in this little tank! :P The frags I got are radioactive dragon eyes and red people eaters, and two soft pink ones.  The teeny ones are a bright yellow green.  The GSP bag sprang a leak and not much water was in there so it was quite angry.  Hopefully it'll pull through.

IMG_20170517_165456825

The frags do have a fair bit of hair algae on them, not surprising after a crash.  I brushed a touch of peroxide on but didn't want to do a peroxide dip after two days in transit. Probably do that tomorrow to help get rid of the fuzzies since they didnt want to come off with my toothbrush. <_<

IMG_20170517_192655003-01

My paly is mostly open today!  And if you look closely, you can see two little baby heads on the right side of the blasto frag! :happydance:

IMG_20170517_165358825

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

How man frags is that now?

You reminded me that I needed to update the OP!  So here's the frag list:

formerly turquoise zoas (now mud brown)
3 rics from drgibby's 4 gallon tank
small pipe organ frag from drgibby's 4 gallon
blue-greenish GSp frag from drgibby's 4 gallon
3 palythoa grandis (2 brownish and one is green)
1 superman mushroom
3 blastomussa frags--one is purple and turquoise-ish, one is green with a green-red-purplish rim, one is purple with green and purple centers but it is not doing so hot right now
1 branching red macro
a few bits of blue scroll that hasn't done well for me
1 red palm macro (also not looking too hot, probably from all the lights out days to ease stressed corals)
small bit of red hitchiking macro on a rubble piece
bright green GSP from Weetie

red people eaters from Zepo.

radioactive dragon eyes from Zepo.

2 pink zoa frags from Zepo.

tiny bright yellow-green zoas from Zepo.

mystery GSP from Zepo.

21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Nice!

Thanks! :happy:

• Like 1
On 5/12/2017 at 11:39 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Equipment list:
5.5 standard aquarium
7w Reef Radiance LED bulb in a cheap lamp from Walmart
25w heater from Aqua Forest Aquariums
airline with a Whisper air pump from their smallest filter
AquaClear 20 with filter floss and carbon

7w Reef Radiance LED:  please post a pic.  I love that you're doing this with a 7 watt LED...

AC20:  the quietest AC - this tank must be silent except for...., 

Whisper air pump:  No powerhead?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Type-H20 said:

7w Reef Radiance LED:  please post a pic.  I love that you're doing this with a 7 watt LED...

AC20:  the quietest AC - this tank must be silent except for...., 

Whisper air pump:  No powerhead?  

I don't have a pic of mine, but here's the bulb.  Mine is black rather than silver though.  I have actually ordered a second as I wasn't sure I'd have enough spread (supposed to cover a 12"x12" area) and my 12w ABI 50/50 bulb didn't have enough spread for my little 3.5 gallon (probably narrower optics).  It's got a purplish hue to the eyes that took a bit of getting used to, but the corals seem to LOVE it.  Going to wait to see if I even need to add the other when it arrives.

I have an AC20 but will probably get a 30 because my heater keeps coming loose from the wall and knocking into the feather duster lol.  Want to put the heater in it, and the AC20 is just a touch too small for me to feel comfortable with it.  The heater is great though, it's teeny!  Just running filter floss and carbon for now.  Expect I'll change out carbon every couple weeks and filter floss probably weekly.

Nope, no powerhead!  I started out my last tank with only an airline and pump for flow/circulation and have it over on the right to provide additional flow and break up surface tension so no film forms (have had that in the past, yuck!).  The AC provides most of my flow and believe it or not, I've actually got it turned pretty far down since the softies and blastos don't like it up too high.  Watching to see if there's dead spots but not much detritus yet lol.  Might add a little powerhead sometime if I need but prefer to keep it pretty simple.  Taking my cues from some of the reefbowls on here to be honest.  Just kind of experimenting to see what works!

• Like 4

So the last week or so's been pretty busy.  Tank's been just chugging along.  Need to do a water change lol.  Blue ric is developing a third mouth! :happy: Orange ric still not fully expanded, I suspect maybe too much flow.  My green grandis paly and the one from Reef Gardener (my first one) are both weird right now--the polyp has taken on a droopy umbrella sort of shape. :huh: Wondering if it's a flow issue or lighting or what.  Any thoughts?  I decided to try something new and slid some plain white paper behind the tank to give it a white background.  I like it!  The new pink zoas are open and happy, the red people eaters are as well but one polyp is closed and black, maybe necrotic?  Still need to peroxide dip :blush:...the radioactive dragon eyes have been closed up a few days so not sure what the deal is with them.  Planning to try a Lugol's dip.

I went by an LFS yesterday while in the city and saw a starry blenny, antennata (sp?) lionfish, and some ginormous puffers the size of my tank!  Including one that likes to spit water out of the tank lol.  I fell in love with a little clown who had extra thick black barring, he was beautiful!  But he was part of a pair (female was ugly designer clown even if I had room for a pair lol) and they didn't want to split them.  Placed a special order but no idea when it might come in. :D

Today I was looking in the tank and noticed something...in the back of the tank, something was poking out of the feather duster's partially rebuilt tube (the one that jumped his tube and dropped his crown).  As I watched, the thing came out more and more and I realized...it was a crown!  My feather duster is alive and was regrowing his crown!  I hadn't seen him in days and assumed he was dead, but he sure showed me!  I am just thrilled about this! omgomgomg

New happy zoas and GSP

IMG_20170523_160927565

Right side of the tank.  You can see the umbrella effect on my palys in this pic and the previous one.

IMG_20170523_160945882

Feather duster with his miniature crown!!!  I think I shall call him Miracle Max! :D

IMG_20170523_141221

FTS.  I think the white background makes it look brighter and can see why gena and others have used it!

IMG_20170523_161024976

And in exciting news, I have stuffs coming this week. :ninja: Next couple days should be busy! omgomgomg

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

So the last week or so's been pretty busy.  Tank's been just chugging along.  Need to do a water change lol.  Blue ric is developing a third mouth! :happy: Orange ric still not fully expanded, I suspect maybe too much flow.  My green grandis paly and the one from Reef Gardener (my first one) are both weird right now--the polyp has taken on a droopy umbrella sort of shape. :huh: Wondering if it's a flow issue or lighting or what.  Any thoughts?  I decided to try something new and slid some plain white paper behind the tank to give it a white background.  I like it!  The new pink zoas are open and happy, the red people eaters are as well but one polyp is closed and black, maybe necrotic?  Still need to peroxide dip :blush:...the radioactive dragon eyes have been closed up a few days so not sure what the deal is with them.  Planning to try a Lugol's dip.

I went by an LFS yesterday while in the city and saw a starry blenny, antennata (sp?) lionfish, and some ginormous puffers the size of my tank!  Including one that likes to spit water out of the tank lol.  I fell in love with a little clown who had extra thick black barring, he was beautiful!  But he was part of a pair (female was ugly designer clown even if I had room for a pair lol) and they didn't want to split them.  Placed a special order but no idea when it might come in. :D

Today I was looking in the tank and noticed something...in the back of the tank, something was poking out of the feather duster's partially rebuilt tube (the one that jumped his tube and dropped his crown).  As I watched, the thing came out more and more and I realized...it was a crown!  My feather duster is alive and was regrowing his crown!  I hadn't seen him in days and assumed he was dead, but he sure showed me!  I am just thrilled about this! omgomgomg

New happy zoas and GSP

IMG_20170523_160927565

Right side of the tank.  You can see the umbrella effect on my palys in this pic and the previous one.

IMG_20170523_160945882

Feather duster with his miniature crown!!!  I think I shall call him Miracle Max! :D

IMG_20170523_141221

FTS.  I think the white background makes it look brighter and can see why gena and others have used it!

IMG_20170523_161024976

And in exciting news, I have stuffs coming this week. :ninja: Next couple days should be busy! omgomgomg

Wow. 

After all of the ups and downs you've had with this tank, after all of the craziness of the last couple of months, it is SO incredibly wonderful to see an update like this. 

It's pretty big. 

LOVE this!!!!!

I haven't kept Grandis Palys myself, but they don't look bad to me in the pics. 

I mean yeah, I see what you mean on the "droopiness", but it doesn't look bad. 

And that Featherduster!!!!

OMG, that is so awesome that it rebuilt it's head!!!

That is such an encouraging sign of health for your tank. 

Everything looks good in the pics, can't wait to see what cool things come for both you and the tank!!!! :happy::happydance:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow. 

After all of the ups and downs you've had with this tank, after all of the craziness of the last couple of months, it is SO incredibly wonderful to see an update like this. 

It's pretty big. 

LOVE this!!!!!

Everything looks good in the pics, can't wait to see what cool things come for both you and the tank!!!! :happy::happydance:

Hehe thanks, I was so excited when I saw the crown that I was pretty much squealing and jumping up and down and my family was laughing at me! :lol:  So amazed about the whole thing, I really thought he was a goner!  Go Miracle Max!  Maybe I should call my other one Princess Buttercup lol.

Glad you think the weird drooping is probably ok.  The big green one does eat when I feed, the littler brown one has not really been a feeder thus far.  I am looking forward to what the next couple days (and the post man) brings! B)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hehe thanks, I was so excited when I saw the crown that I was pretty much squealing and jumping up and down and my family was laughing at me! :lol:  So amazed about the whole thing, I really thought he was a goner!  Go Miracle Max!  Maybe I should call my other one Princess Buttercup lol.

Glad you think the weird drooping is probably ok.  The big green one does eat when I feed, the littler brown one has not really been a feeder thus far.  I am looking forward to what the next couple days (and the post man) brings! B)

OMG, Buttercup would be awesome!!!!

Watched Princess Bride with my boys for the first time over Christmas Break, was so fun sharing that with them. 

And Monty Python's Holy Grail. :D

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

OMG, Buttercup would be awesome!!!!

Watched Princess Bride with my boys for the first time over Christmas Break, was so fun sharing that with them. 

And Monty Python's Holy Grail. :D

I :wub: Princess Bride!  I have it somewhere but haven't watched it in a while.  I was about seventeen before I realized it was not a serious movie. :lol:  Have never actually seen Monty Python all the way through, should try to do that sometime.

2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

you must be doing something right if the feather duster is growing back its crown!  nice job!

Thanks!  I shoved the rock he was wedged in to the back of the tank under the filter so he would feel sort of enclosed like he was in a cave or something, hoping he would feel safe and protected.  There's not a lot of flow back there to disturb him, either.  That was pretty much the position he was in when it was in the 1.6 gallon so I tried to replicate it so he'd have the best chance at continuing to rebuild the tube.  Then he dropped his crown and disappeared and I thought all was lost.  Seeing him earlier really made my day! :D

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow. 

It's pretty big. 

LOVE this!!!!!

Posts like this remind me of how different it is here...:wub:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, elusianzxelo said:

ok I have a tank for about 2 years and this thing been growing in my tank and is now growing faster..tell me what it is?

14955932005072112492635.jpg

:blink: I really have no idea lol.  Try the identification forum, someone there can probably help you out!

10 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

Post like this remind me of how different it is here...:wub:

N-R is a special place, that's why I've never felt the need to go anywhere else! :happy:

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:blink: I really have no idea lol.  Try the identification forum, someone there can probably help you out!

N-R is a special place, that's why I've never felt the need to go anywhere else! :happy:

Ha! Nice. 

Side note:  I just edited my Frankenstein vernacular from "Post like this" to "Posts like this"

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

Ha! Nice. 

Side note:  I just edited my Frankenstein vernacular from "Post like this" to "Posts like this"

:lol:

SemperReef
1 hour ago, elusianzxelo said:

ok I have a tank for about 2 years and this thing been growing in my tank and is now growing faster..tell me what it is?

Have had these come and go for years, looked through wetwebmedia to no avail.  Yeah I still have no idea. 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

One thing we all learn in this hobby is even if something looks like a goner, keep it 'cause you never know ;)

• Like 3
8 hours ago, elusianzxelo said:

Funky interesting sponge growth. 

Something like this deserves a better name (y'know, like Miracle Max), but I haven't Coffeed enough this morning to come up with that yet. ;)

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

One thing we all learn in this hobby is even if something looks like a goner, keep it 'cause you never know ;)

I keep hoping my little blasto merlettis will come back, the ones that survived the crash and were looking good and disappeared overnight.  I still suspect Shelby had something to do with it... In the mean time the foraminaferans are loving all that skeleton to grow on (it was a branching sort of merletti)!  And so is algae. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I am so happy things are looking up for you again! 

Magic max is a really nice name!

Thanks!  The name is from a character in The Princess Bride movie, Miracle Max makes the miracle pill that brings Westley back from the mostly-dead. :lol: (Chocolate coating, helps it go down easier).

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Funky interesting sponge growth. 

Something like this deserves a better name (y'know, like Miracle Max), but I haven't Coffeed enough this morning to come up with that yet. ;)

It's pretty weird looking, reminds me of the garden eels I saw at the aquarium the other week, those were pretty darn cool (and a little freaky).

New stuff is coming today!  And some special soap from Etsy so I can give Violet a bath, she hasn't had one in a good long while.  Wondering if she will change colors from it lol.  The soap has some moisturizing oils to help keep the hedgie skin from getting too dried out as hedgies can be prone to dry, itchy skin.  I also bought a couple items for her cage but it won't be here for at least a few days.  I need to replace the Petco tunnel because she is digging the furry lining right out from it lol.

• Like 1