ReefCleaners.org

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

I have hermits, and I stoped with certain snails because of them. Basically so far the turbos and the strombus between these three species they do a reasonable job of keeping the place clean

2 minutes ago, gogeta said:

I have hermits, and I stoped with certain snails because of them. Basically so far the turbos and the strombus between these three species they do a reasonable job of keeping the place clean

Yeah this hermit was supposed to be a cerith snail, and I thought that's what both were when I added them.  Imagine my shock when I realized THAT'S NOT A HERMIT!!!  Hoping the snail is the only thing he killed...  I've not had hermits voluntarily for years because they are punks lol.

haha yeah I remember reading that back a bit and thinking you got dooped.

hows the blenny? Did you name him/her yet? I like to name them all now never was much into it but enjoying naming every single tank inhabitant 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gogeta said:

haha yeah I remember reading that back a bit and thinking you got dooped.

hows the blenny? Did you name him/her yet? I like to name them all now never was much into it but enjoying naming every single tank inhabitant 

I put some pics of the blenny on my 3g GSP garden thread--he's still kickin' but I haven't seen him eat except a little grazing on the sponge filter.  I worry about him.  Hopefully I can get him eating soon!  I have not named it yet, I may wait till I know if he's gonna live or not lol.

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Definitely was in a hard spot to photograph!  Then later I realized (a) I haven't seen Valerie in a couple days and she was missing her big claw earlier in the week, and (b) I found the cerith shell from the snail that was added with the hermit who was supposed to also be a cerith. :furious: So I threw some rubble chunks into my teeny 1.6 gallon and filled it up and tossed in some caulerpa from the fuge and threw him into solitary confinement, because that's what happens to murderers these days.  I immediately noticed something...either something is wrong with this crab, or he's a little dopey.  He has trouble moving across the bare bottom and moves backwards a lot.  I think he may be related to Jeff the TSB in @Madcat's tank. :lol: He did eventually find the crab cuisine pellets I dropped in for him and ate one but still.  I think I'm going to call him Dopey, because he is. :rolleyes:

UMM. At least Jeff has mastered multi-directional mobility! :lol:

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Madcat said:

UMM. At least Jeff has mastered multi-directional mobility! :lol:

Touche! :lol:  Dopey's hanging in the corner atm, I think there was gunk inside those rubble pieces that started to decay so ammonia's built up, poor guy.  I just did a big water change and added MicroBacter and Prime to help his royal Dopeyness out.

No new pics as I didn't get to see the tank with the lights on yesterday, but the digi has been putting out a lot of polyps after I dipped it in Lugol's when I was dipping the gorgs!  You can still clearly see where it fell into the ric but it looks better than it was.  I think I may add a tiny powerhead on here to help create a bit more random/chaotic flow since I have so many flow loving things.  I think I have one somewhere that just needs a good cleaning, otherwise I can find on on Amazon.

I'm worried about Valerie.  I haven't seen her since a couple days before I removed the hermit, and she was missing her big claw at the time.  I have my suspicions that he killed her as well.  I haven't seen the pom pom either in a few weeks, but I expect that from pom-pom crabs (Shelby being a rare, bold exception...she probably would have torn that hermit up!).  I miss Valerie coming out and waving her fans everywhere. :(

The caulerpa prolifera is going wild lol.  It's sent a runner to the front of the tank between the blasto rock and the toadstool.  Gonna have to get that pruned back a bit!

I got some feeding tongs at Petco the other day to replace the ones I accidentally rusted a couple months ago. :happydance:

I need more Lugol's lol.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Hope Shelby and the pompom are okay and will show themselves anytime soon! 

Oh, Shelby got traded in months ago lol.  But the current pom pom has been hiding, it's very reclusive, much more like a typical pom pom.  I still haven't seen Valerie. :(

The gorgs look about the same, the digi seems to be doing a little better even.

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh, Shelby got traded in months ago lol.  But the current pom pom has been hiding, it's very reclusive, much more like a typical pom pom.  I still haven't seen Valerie. :(

The gorgs look about the same, the digi seems to be doing a little better even.

Really hope Valerie shows up soon.

Glad to see you're having improvement with the Digi!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gena said:

I had to come in and look at your lighting again.  That DOES look really nice!!!!  Ok...50/50 it is :)

I don't think I've posted any pics yet with the 50/50, but the Reef Radiance wasn't giving quite as good colors as I wanted.  It's very similar though, but with enough blue to make things pop but not be overwhelming like the Tuna Blue.  I really like it!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I don't think I've posted any pics yet with the 50/50, but the Reef Radiance wasn't giving quite as good colors as I wanted.  It's very similar though, but with enough blue to make things pop but not be overwhelming like the Tuna Blue.  I really like it!

I'm thinking I might like that better than the Tuna Blue myself. 

The Tuna Blue started looking really blue to me after I got 10k lighting over the Macro tank. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm thinking I might like that better than the Tuna Blue myself. 

The Tuna Blue started looking really blue to me after I got 10k lighting over the Macro tank. 

I'll try to get pics up in the next few days so y'all can see the difference. I liked the Reef Radiance light but I feel it needs a little more blue/actinic to bring out the best comes. Of course, their newer model might need different due to different configuration, the one I got was on clearance lol.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'll try to get pics up in the next few days so y'all can see the difference. I liked the Reef Radiance light but I feel it needs a little more blue/actinic to bring out the best comes. Of course, their newer model might need different due to different configuration, the one I got was on clearance lol.

And by comes I meant colors lol.  That's what I get for posting from my phone on my lunch break. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oh LOL.  I thought the FTS on the first page was the new light :).

1 hour ago, gena said:

Oh LOL.  I thought the FTS on the first page was the new light :).

Haha no, still with the Reef Radiance light. Will def try to get pics soon! I got some new stuff from @tashayar that I look forward to showing! Right now we're going to visit my brand new baby nephew who's back in the hospital. :(

• Like 1
Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

I hope your nephew is ok :grouphug:

Me too. He's more awake and eating better, so he's definitely feeling better. I haven't even gotten to meet the little nugget yet since I was sick when he was born a couple weeks ago. I'm excited to hold him finally! :)

• Like 3

It's official, my nephew is the cutest cutie who ever did cute. :happy: I might be a bit biased though.

Pics incoming soon, a few at least, to show the 50/50 bulb. :)

Took a few quick pics tonight so you guys can see the better color under the 50/50 bulb (this one from Amazon).  It gives what I would say is a 10-12,000k color temp or so, maybe a teensy bit bluer--definitely not deep blue like the Tuna Blue bulb.

FTS: You can see the difference is subtle but striking.  It makes the colors a bit richer and deeper (please excuse the dirty glass, I have not finished scraping it!).  It's not quite so blue in real life.

IMG_20170910_211049019

A couple closer up of the middle showing the nicer colors.

IMG_20170910_211100320

IMG_20170910_211100320

Up on the top rock you can see the new mushroom from @tashayar!

IMG_20170910_211110167

Here on the blasto rock you can see Jacques the shrimp and one of the tiny brown limpets she sent (it's the tiny triangular brown thing to the right of the big purple and mint blasto):

IMG_20170910_211224586

You can't really see but on the left side of the soap dish are two angry/sad toadstools (I'd be mad to be stuck in the postal system so long too!  Thanks USPS).  You can also see the Grube's and the other gorg...I don't *think* there's been any new tissue recession and some of the bare spots are not down to skeleton so that is hopeful!  Sadly, none of the GSP from the 3 gallon is opening up. :( I may have to start anew on my search for GSP's, sadly.

IMG_20170910_211119252

Hope this helps some of you make your bulb decisions. :happy:

• Like 5

I really like the new bulb, everything looks so pretty under it!!  Is that a pipe organ in the bottom middle?  And is the toadstool in the third to last pic bleached or is it just an insanely awesome white color?