Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Holy Wow!!!!

Uhhhhh...... what size quarantine tank?

Going to use the 2.3 for the moment...I know it's small but I'll pop him in a bigger one soon as I get into a place (looked at one today and hope to be there in a couple weeks).  I did put some plastic plants and PVC in there for hiding places, got a sponge filter going, and have some Prime and Microbacter to help with bioload.  It's not ideal and I wasn't planning to get a PSW just yet but saw it and jumped on it because WOW those colors!  He's only 1 5/8" so I'm crossing my fingers it'll be ok.

Once he goes into the 5.5 (after it's been fallow for at least 8 weeks), I'll be observing to see how he does.  The plan is to put him/her into the bigger tank once he's bigger and it's all set up and everything, just like I'd planned with Tally.  Then replace him with something else, like green banded gobies or a little blenny or something.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Definitely put plenty of PVC in there. Mine is a very jumpy/nervous guy. 

Ooh thanks for that.  I'll see if I can pick up some more.  Thinking about getting some cheapo macros from ebay to give him(her?) more places to hide.  The C. barbata that arrived from Reef Cleaners today was DOA. :(

Any other pink streaked wrasse advice you (or anyone else) has to offer would be appreciated!  I've done a fair bit of reading but I feel like personal experiences can be more helpful sometimes!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ooh thanks for that.  I'll see if I can pick up some more.  Thinking about getting some cheapo macros from ebay to give him(her?) more places to hide.  The C. barbata that arrived from Reef Cleaners today was DOA. :(

Any other pink streaked wrasse advice you (or anyone else) has to offer would be appreciated!  I've done a fair bit of reading but I feel like personal experiences can be more helpful sometimes!

@gena and @teenyreef might have some advice on a PSW

The first one I had for a few months did not make it. It didn't take to frozen well. I tried giving it varieties of mysis/brine/cyclops, but it never really went for much. I think it wanted smaller foods and maybe the cyclops just didn't taste good, but I was also very lazy feeding my tanks and would only feed once or twice a week. 

The one I have now will take frozen and pellets, though it's very timid going after food compared to my clownfish. It does like the smaller pieces, but will try to go for bigger on occasion. 

He sleeps in a crevice in the rock, so a 1/2 inch or 1 inch piece of PVC would be good for that. It might not feel secure in anything bigger. Might... I really can only go on observation. :lol:

• Like 3

Congrats on your PSW purchase :).  Mine feels more comfortable in a smaller tank.  Not just guessing, I can totally see how his confidence has changed.  They like a full tank with lots of hiding places. Not such big fans of open space.  So I highly recommend the macros.  It will feel more comfortable in a jungle for sure :D.

• Like 2

I agree, if there are lots of hiding places, he'll be more comfortable coming out. Also, mine came out a lot more after the clowns moved out. 

My Fitzgerald liked small meaty frozen  foods like PE Calanus or the San Francisco Bay angel food mix. He eventually ate pellets but it took months. 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
On 6/27/2017 at 4:19 PM, Lula_Mae said:

So, uhhh...coming soon to a quarantine tank near...ME!!!

5952e86f2323f_pinkstreakedwrasseondiversden62717sold.PNG.e8ee616a741181dfb1c2d81d214035e7.PNG

omgomgomg:DB):happydance:fingerscrossed

Fingers crossed this goes better than last time... :unsure:

...and toes, too :)

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
On 6/27/2017 at 6:19 PM, Lula_Mae said:

So, uhhh...coming soon to a quarantine tank near...ME!!!

5952e86f2323f_pinkstreakedwrasseondiversden62717sold.PNG.e8ee616a741181dfb1c2d81d214035e7.PNG

omgomgomg:DB):happydance:fingerscrossed

Fingers crossed this goes better than last time... :unsure:

That fish has on lipstick....

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, I'll respond more later but I today is delivery day and this:

595661530a413_upsliveaquariadeliverydelay.PNG.8df92b9febf9852dbdb15aac0edc1cf9.PNG

is not what you want to see on your tracking information! :blink:  :scarry:  Fingers crossed for my critters.  Thinking I need to get on the phone with UPS...

• Like 1

Dad suggests it might have been a computer system being down, which makes sense since there is no tracking information all night...

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me this morning on one of my boxes, fortunately both boxes arrived on time and all my critters made it alive :) 

Hope you have the same luck!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll respond more later but I today is delivery day and this:

595661530a413_upsliveaquariadeliverydelay.PNG.8df92b9febf9852dbdb15aac0edc1cf9.PNG

is not what you want to see on your tracking information! :blink:  :scarry:  Fingers crossed for my critters.  Thinking I need to get on the phone with UPS...

I hope it arrives okay.  my DD PSW did not like shipping :(  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

What's a DD PSW? lol

Thanks guys, after some back and forth between Live Aquaria and UPS, they say it's still slated to arrive today. Fingers crossed! I will say, UPS got back to my email in 19 minutes, so that's good.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

What's a DD PSW? lol

Diver's Den Pink Streaked Wrasse.  lol divers den is frequently abbrieviated DD and pink streaked wrasse is psw. lol

• Like 2
On 6/29/2017 at 8:50 AM, kimberbee said:

@gena and @teenyreef might have some advice on a PSW

The first one I had for a few months did not make it. It didn't take to frozen well. I tried giving it varieties of mysis/brine/cyclops, but it never really went for much. I think it wanted smaller foods and maybe the cyclops just didn't taste good, but I was also very lazy feeding my tanks and would only feed once or twice a week. 

The one I have now will take frozen and pellets, though it's very timid going after food compared to my clownfish. It does like the smaller pieces, but will try to go for bigger on occasion. 

He sleeps in a crevice in the rock, so a 1/2 inch or 1 inch piece of PVC would be good for that. It might not feel secure in anything bigger. Might... I really can only go on observation. :lol:

Aw, poor thing!  Was it from LiveAquaria?  I've got mysis and just picked up a couple more frozen carnivore mixes from PetSmart, I had tried to get some packaged pods from Reef Cleaners but I am not sure there were any live pods in it...added them and the bit of chaeto anyway just in case, along with a dose of Prime and Microbacter7 lol.  I also have a few different flake and tiny pellet foods, I tried to get a variety for him to try.

I found 1" PVC so I bought a few different shapes and put them in, hopefully he finds a spot that makes him comfortable.

Or she.  Anyone have an idea of the gender?  I'm wondering if it's female since the yellow isn't super-bright.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:41 AM, gena said:

Congrats on your PSW purchase :).  Mine feels more comfortable in a smaller tank.  Not just guessing, I can totally see how his confidence has changed.  They like a full tank with lots of hiding places. Not such big fans of open space.  So I highly recommend the macros.  It will feel more comfortable in a jungle for sure :D.

Thanks Gena!  That's interesting to see that he's more confident in a smaller space.  Hopefully mine will feel comfortable too!  What do you feed yours?  He came from LA, didn't he?

14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I agree, if there are lots of hiding places, he'll be more comfortable coming out. Also, mine came out a lot more after the clowns moved out. 

My Fitzgerald liked small meaty frozen  foods like PE Calanus or the San Francisco Bay angel food mix. He eventually ate pellets but it took months. 

I picked up a couple of frozen saltwater carnivore mixes from PetSmart but they didn't have the ones you mentioned.  Did he come from LA?  I'm wondering how mine will eat as LA's website says mysis is one of the things wrasses are eating.

13 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

...and toes, too :)

Ha! :lol: Definitely crossing both now with the package who-knows-where...

11 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

That fish has on lipstick....

And it's dressed to the nines in fancy pinstripes! ;)

2 hours ago, MrNanoReef said:

Same thing happened to me this morning on one of my boxes, fortunately both boxes arrived on time and all my critters made it alive :) 

Hope you have the same luck!

I hope so!  The tracking hasn't updated since it left the facility 2 hours away at 11:15...

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Yeah, I remembered and went back and read to see what had happened with yours.  I'm so worried about it, UPS can deliver late here (rural area with no Saturday delivery) at the best of times so this has me practically biting my nails!  Agh!  There's a couple corals and a porcelain crab in the box too, none of them need this kind of stress!

Since I can't do anything but wait, and the package is somewhere in the state but I don't know where, here's a few pics to keep us occupied!

Bad pic but there are a couple of baby shrooms here in the crevice between the rocks!

IMG_20170630_142612761

Ms. Valerie is sporting a tiny claw on her left side!  She must have molted and I didn't see!  Hooray!!!

IMG_20170630_142533822

FTS:

IMG_20170630_142409015

P.S. Again, thanks for the replies, I read most of them last night but was too exhausted to respond.  I appreciate it!

• Like 7
thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Diver's Den Pink Streaked Wrasse.  lol divers den is frequently abbrieviated DD and pink streaked wrasse is psw. lol

I thought it was Dearly Departed Pink Streaked Wrasse. Really. LOL!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, thespinningsadhu said:

HAHA!  Well that's what it was after a few hours. So I guess it fits! lol

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Clackalacky, you've made me want one of these gorgeous fish. I didn't know they even existed. Thanks for turning me on to it. I now have my stock list of fish complete. 

• Like 1

Well, this just appeared on my tracking info...

5956b10e32186_upsliveaquariadeliverydelaypart2justappeared.PNG.8c521e2e1fbb5030d42092273cd66d3b.PNG

Guy at LA says they might be trying to get it on a courier shuttle or something like that, wasn't quite sure what he meant by that.  The location is only an hour from me...ughhhh.

P.S. I like how it says 11:30 AM but took this long to update on the website. :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with LiveAquaria who'd just gotten off the phone with UPS.  Apparently the package is stuck on a trailer and they cannot get to the package...it's not going to be delivered until Monday.  Seems I can't even arrange to pick it up somewhere at one of their facilities.  Ugh.

:tears:

He said receive the package when it comes, double the acclimation time for the specimens, and keep them posted, and I'm still covered under their guarantee.  He said they have had things stuck in transit up to 16 days and survive, which is the exception and not the rule, but we're going to hope for the best.

My poor wrasse!  Poor crab!  Poor blasto and anthelia!  I was so excited, too.  At least I'll be off Monday so I can take my time with acclimating anything that survives.

Thunder Goose

So sorry for the delay. I hope everything survives the weekend!

In my QT I have a piece of fake (plastic) coral from a big box pet store - works really well to calm down nervous new fish and it's pretty easy to clean (soak and toothbrush if needed).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

HAHA!  Well that's what it was after a few hours. So I guess it fits! lol

Well, he's not wrong lol

58 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Clackalacky, you've made me want one of these gorgeous fish. I didn't know they even existed. Thanks for turning me on to it. I know have my stock list of fish complete. 

You're welcome!  Usually they are a little darker than this one, but I loved the pastel coloration of this one which is why I jumped on it.  If you can't find one of these, also look at possum wrasses, they are similar size and I believe a bit shyer temperament but absolutely beautiful.  LA has the yellow-banded and Tanaka's pygmy possum wrasses in stock right now.

1 minute ago, Thunder Goose said:

So sorry for the delay. I hope everything survives the weekend!

In my QT I have a piece of fake (plastic) coral from a big box pet store - works really well to calm down nervous new fish and it's pretty easy to clean (soak and toothbrush if needed).

Me too! fingerscrossed I have a couple of fake plants in there right now, big-ish bushy ones, along with the pvc.

Got the notification today that LA finally has green banded gobies in stock...if stuff doesn't survive I'll look at getting those.  But I'd rather have a live PSW...

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:

Well, he's not wrong lol

You're welcome!  Usually they are a little darker than this one, but I loved the pastel coloration of this one which is why I jumped on it.  If you can't find one of these, also look at possum wrasses, they are similar size and I believe a bit shyer temperament but absolutely beautiful.  LA has the yellow-banded and Tanaka's pygmy possum wrasses in stock right now.

Me too! fingerscrossed I have a couple of fake plants in there right now, big-ish bushy ones, along with the pvc.

Got the notification today that LA finally has green banded gobies in stock...if stuff doesn't survive I'll look at getting those.  But I'd rather have a live PSW...

Fingers crossed that it gets there soon and in decent shape. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Yeah! I immediately went in search for one and they were the darker ones. I'm going to wait for a pastel/light colored one like yours. 

• Like 1