Top Shelf Aquatics

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

53 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm at work but just got notification that my blenny is on its way!!! omgomgomg

I forget...what kind of blenny?

and omgomgomg deliveries are always so exciting :happydance:.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm at work but just got notification that my blenny is on its way!!! omgomgomg

:haha:Thats exciting! I love notifications like those!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gena said:

I forget...what kind of blenny?

and omgomgomg deliveries are always so exciting :happydance:.

It's a two spot bimaculatus blenny, smaller than a tailspot! Cute little guys from the pics! And yes, they def are!

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Everything is looking so good!  

That baby stomatella is soooo cute. :wub:

.......and yay for new blenny!

Thanks! I haven't taken a picture in the last few days though, I can't even see through the algae on the front glass! :blush: :lol:  Fingers crossed that this time it works out...

5 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

:haha:Thats exciting! I love notifications like those!!

Me too! It's like Christmas! 

• Like 5

It's here it's here!!! 

Look at my beautiful blenny!  Oh wait, that's the box!

IMG_20170830_102235808

The UPS guy asked me, "Are you building an aquarium or something?" and I said yeah and this was part of the order he'd delivered a couple weeks ago but was back ordered, and he asked "So did I deliver you a real live fish today?" and I said "Yep, there's a real live fish in here!" and he looked astounded. :lol:

Here's the cutie pie himself!

IMG_20170830_105346550

I'm concerned about how concave his tummy is.  Hopefully he will eat my proffered foods and grow pleasantly plump. fingerscrossed

• Like 11
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Awwwww....he's adorable!!!!!  They have such expressive eyes.

They do!  I offered him a little food but he was too busy eyeballing me to pay attention to it! :lol:

• Haha 4
Nano sapiens

Ummm, LA shouldn't have shipped one with a sunken belly like that.  The good news is that they are tough little fish. 

They do like to nibble on cyano/algae and biofilms, so hopefully he/she will fatten up.  Mine took about two weeks before trying prepared foods and now views the Blasto as a personal dinner plate every time I feed the LPS...

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

They do!  I offered him a little food but he was too busy eyeballing me to pay attention to it! :lol:

Too cute LOL.  I love blennies but I hate fighting with them and the mp10.  Trying to keep them out of it.  If I ever have a tank without an mp10, I am getting a blenny.  I really like the looks of the 2 spot :wub:.

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
1 minute ago, gena said:

Too cute LOL.  I love blennies but I hate fighting with them and the mp10.  Trying to keep them out of it.  If I ever have a tank without an mp10, I am getting a blenny.  I really like the looks of the 2 spot :wub:.

The fish likes to slide into crevices where the two spots look just like a larger set of crab eyes.  I believe this is a type of protective mimicry, but haven't found any studies mentioning this behavior in this species.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Ummm, LA shouldn't have shipped one with a sunken belly like that.  The good news is that they are tough little fish. 

They do like to nibble on cyano/algae and biofilms, so hopefully he/she will fatten up.  Mine took about two weeks before trying prepared foods and now views the Blasto as a personal dinner plate every time I feed the LPS...

Yeah my first glance at him, I thought something had taken a bite out of his underside!  I just saw it nibble at the sponge for a moment before I turned the air pump back on, so hopefully it'll get fatter.  I'll probably try some frozen later (maybe tomorrow morning when I get home).  Not sure where I put some of the prepared foods. :rolleyes: #movingproblems

2 minutes ago, gena said:

He is really super cute, and they stay pretty small, although he's bigger (just, mostly in length) than the GBG's I got.

Just now, Nano sapiens said:

The fish likes to slide into crevices where the two spots look just like a larger set of crab eyes.  I believe this is a type of protective mimicry, but haven't found any studies mentioning this behavior in this species.

I did not know that, that's really cool!  Smart little critters!

• Like 1

Seems like a bad spot to have the spots.  They should be at the tail so that any predator that goes for the "head" will just get tail instead of vital organs.

• Haha 1
Nano sapiens
8 minutes ago, gena said:

Seems like a bad spot to have the spots.  They should be at the tail so that any predator that goes for the "head" will just get tail instead of vital organs.

The way the fish tucks into a crevice it would be hard for a predator to get it out, even if it figured out that those large spots are fakes.  The rest of the body (especially the back end) is pale brownish and near impossible to make out in the shadows.  The head has that horizontal stripe that very effectively breaks up the eye, too.

I've been observing mine for nearly two years now and it's very good at using crevices and shadows effectively...to the point where I have to go looking for it even when it's laughing at me right in front of the tank :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The way the fish tucks into a crevice it would be hard for a predator to get it out, even if it figured out that those large spots are fakes.  The rest of the body (especially the back end) is pale brownish and near impossible to make out in the shadows.  The head has that horizontal stripe that very effectively breaks up the eye, too.

I've been observing mine for nearly two years now and it's very good at using crevices and shadows effectively...to the point where I have to go looking for it even when it's laughing at me right in front of the tank :)

I totally didn't even realize you had one! :lol: Very cool!

Nano sapiens
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I totally didn't even realize you had one! :lol: Very cool!

Yup, and if it it is anything like the Tailspot Blenny, I expect a ~4 year lifespan.  They do like to perch, especially on Zoas, which can annoy them over time.  Other than that, mine was only a bit aggressive with very small fish like the GBG when first introduced, but now that they have grown into thugs, the Bimaculatus has turned chicken and hops around to avoid them :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Yup, and if it it is anything like the Tailspot Blenny, I expect a ~4 year lifespan.  They do like to perch, especially on Zoas, which can annoy them over time.  Other than that, mine was only a bit aggressive with very small fish like the GBG when first introduced, but now that they have grown into thugs, the Bimaculatus has turned chicken and hops around to avoid them :)

That's hilarious! Four years would be longer lived than any pet I've had so far! :lol:

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That Blenny looks super cute, hope you get to fatten him up good!!!

Thanks, me too! 

2 hours ago, Madcat said:

He's so cute! Hope he fattens up quickly! Any pics of him in the tank yet? Can you even find him? :lol:

He actually isn't in the tank at the moment...after my recent experiences I've got him quarantined cuz I don't want a fish dying that I can't find lol.

1 hour ago, gena said:

Yes, more pictures of that cutie :D.

please :flower:

I'll try to get some tomorrow, gotta head to work shortly now. :happy:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gogeta said:

His stomach does look a little sunken in doesn't it!! Hopefully all is well with him 

I checked on him as soon as I got home and he swam away to hide from me instead of staying perched on his PVC throne. :lol:

• Like 3
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I checked on him as soon as I got home and he swam away to hide from me instead of staying perched on his PVC throne. :lol:

It's always a relief when they make it through the first night :).

• Like 1
Just now, gena said:

It's always a relief when they make it through the first night :).

Yes, especially since I wasn't home to keep an eye on him!  Will try to get some pics of him later.

• Like 1