inTank Media Baskets

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

It looks great to me. I've been trying to get M to start painting tanks. Have someone shoot a pic and she could paint it. I have a few carvings that she WILL paint this winter, she just doesn't know it yet. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

What is PSW?

Oh..you really didnt know????? :lol:.  I thought you were making a joke about that.  Yep...it's a Pink Streaked Wrasse.  I have one too.  My favorite fish :wub:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quickie update: so I'd put a 23 watt ABI Tuna Blue bulb over the tank because I feel it needs more light, but I think this light was too strong, too fast as things were shrinking and some not looking so hot so I've put the old bulb back on it for now.  Thinking about what to do next.  That bulb also had a faint buzzing sound when on, which I found somewhat disconcerting...not sure it was supposed to do that!

FTS under the Tuna Blue:

ATT00001(8)

Close up of the shrimp and a couple corals.  At the bottom you can see it had given a greenish hue to my otherwise brown grandis paly, and made the sexy peach galaxy palys shimmer!

ATT00001(6)

Today I noticed a baby stomatella! omgomgomg

ATT00001(7)

Teeny red feather duster, and on the left you can see my unhappy temperamental blastos. :closedeyes:

IMG_20170821_211349090

My baby grandis paly polyp is getting bigger AND coloring up! :happydance: The big polyp is still a little mad from whatever made it close up.

IMG_20170821_211326322_HDR

Here's my errant hermit crab...any thoughts on ID?  Maybe a red leg?  Doesn't look bright enough to be the scarlet type I wanted lol.

IMG_20170821_211447

P.S. Please excuse the dirty glass, the Tuna Blue bulb made the algae explode!

• Like 7

Blastomussa are one of those enraging corals. I can get 2 of the same colour in the same shipment. 1 will come out of the dip and open the next day and the other will take a week, same tank, same light. I dunno.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2017 at 6:44 PM, thespinningsadhu said:

So I discovered today that I'm shit at painting fish. But here you go anyway. I have a deal with myself - if I start the piece intending to share it then I must share it - no matter what. 

IMG_4299

Um... this painting is awesome!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Blastomussa are one of those enraging corals. I can get 2 of the same colour in the same shipment. 1 will come out of the dip and open the next day and the other will take a week, same tank, same light. I dunno.

Yeah this one has always been the pickiest of my blastos lol.  I'm thinking it was a combination of way too bright new light and maybe harassment from the crab that made it mad.  It seems to like pretty low light.  Hopefully it'll get over it.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that the GSP in this pic will be moving over to the GSP garden in a few weeks after this tank has lain semi-fallow for a bit longer (after whatever it was that made Tallulah so sick back in May or so).

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Teeny red feather duster, and on the left you can see my unhappy temperamental blastos. :closedeyes:

IMG_20170821_211349090

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah this one has always been the pickiest of my blastos lol.  I'm thinking it was a combination of way too bright new light and maybe harassment from the crab that made it mad.  It seems to like pretty low light.  Hopefully it'll get over it.

I agree that they tend to like lower light, so that's possible. 

Can you put it in a shaded spot?

I'm surprised the Tuna Blue bulb made the algae explode!!

Is that why you've got some hair algae?

My tuna blue bulb is starting to feel too blue to me lately, I think because I have the contrast of the lighting over the 40B to look at, and it's got more of a Daylight look and less blue. 

I saw the Portiera, glad it's cooperating for you. 

And Hooraaaay for a baby Stomatella!!!

I need to do the mud 'n bugs things soon so you can get some more baby Stomies if you want. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I agree that they tend to like lower light, so that's possible. 

Can you put it in a shaded spot?

I'm surprised the Tuna Blue bulb made the algae explode!!

Is that why you've got some hair algae?

My tuna blue bulb is starting to feel too blue to me lately, I think because I have the contrast of the lighting over the 40B to look at, and it's got more of a Daylight look and less blue. 

I saw the Portiera, glad it's cooperating for you. 

And Hooraaaay for a baby Stomatella!!!

I need to do the mud 'n bugs things soon so you can get some more baby Stomies if you want. 

I already had the hair algae, but I noticed after a day with the Tuna Blue that it had bubbles all in it from photosynthesis, and the film on the glass didn't appear till after I put the bulb on--so it may have been starting to grow but exploded with the added light. 

The hermit knocked half your sexy peach galaxies off their rock. :rolleyes: At first I thought maybe he ate them but found them on the floor of the tank lol.  Need to put them back.

I don't think the buzzing sound the light gave off was normal though?  Have you ever had that happen?

I like the less blue of my Reef Radiance light but I think I need a touch more blue to help improve the colors of the corals.

I would love a mud n bugs pack, especially for the new tank! :D

Also, Mud n Bugs used to be the name of a Disney cereal, chocolate puff balls with bug shaped marshmallows and it had Timon and Pumbaa on it, and it was delicious.  Not slimy, but satisfying! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I already had the hair algae, but I noticed after a day with the Tuna Blue that it had bubbles all in it from photosynthesis, and the film on the glass didn't appear till after I put the bulb on--so it may have been starting to grow but exploded with the added light. 

The hermit knocked half your sexy peach galaxies off their rock. :rolleyes: At first I thought maybe he ate them but found them on the floor of the tank lol.  Need to put them back.

I don't think the buzzing sound the light gave off was normal though?  Have you ever had that happen?

I like the less blue of my Reef Radiance light but I think I need a touch more blue to help improve the colors of the corals.

I would love a mud n bugs pack, especially for the new tank! :D

Also, Mud n Bugs used to be the name of a Disney cereal, chocolate puff balls with bug shaped marshmallows and it had Timon and Pumbaa on it, and it was delicious.  Not slimy, but satisfying! :lol:

Not slimy but satisfying, eh? :lol:

Silly hermit!! Those Palys are pretty tough though and since you rescued them quickly they should be fine. 

I've never noticed any buzzing, although if it's quiet I might not hear it. 

If it isn't really quiet I would though. 

Does it do it constantly?

19 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Not slimy but satisfying, eh? :lol:

Silly hermit!! Those Palys are pretty tough though and since you rescued them quickly they should be fine. 

I've never noticed any buzzing, although if it's quiet I might not hear it. 

If it isn't really quiet I would though. 

Does it do it constantly?

Haha yes :D I'm sure it gave a sugar buzz for days lol.

They're actually still on the floor of the tank...they're upright so I left them. :blush: Plan to get them today though after lights go on.

The buzzing was constant when the light was on.  After the timer shut the lights off, the buzzing stopped.  Seems it was only when the bulb was on/power was going to it did it buzz.  And of course when I went to switch out the bulbs, my Reef Radiance one wouldn't come on at first, I had to unscrew and screw it in half a dozen times to get it to work. :mellow:

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I call them my "fringe reef" corals, they're placed around the outside edges of the runs in lower light.

• Like 3

Oh yea, another thing about where you have those Blastos, move them from down stream of the GSP and see if they open up. I just noticed where you had them. Some corals don't get on when placed down stream of a soft coral.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Try plugging the light directly into the wall outlet (so not into the timer) and see if the bulb still buzzes. 

I'll put it back in and try this later.

1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Oh yea, another thing about where you have those Blastos, move them from down stream of the GSP and see if they open up. I just noticed where you had them. Some corals don't get on when placed down stream of a soft coral.

Well, they've been there since I moved the tank but were open and fluffy until I changed the light and the crab got added, then they shrank up, so that's why I thought that was the culprit.  I'll see if I can move some stuff around though.

• Like 2

GSP can start a chemical war once it senses something's near it. Most corals don't have an issue until they pick up chemicals from another coral. Then it's all out war.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, StinkyBunny said:

GSP can start a chemical war once it senses something's near it. Most corals don't have an issue until they pick up chemicals from another coral. Then it's all out war.

Oh, interesting!  Weird that it's only bothering that blasto and not the pearlberry one right next to it.  I dipped the sad blasto today as it was still retracted, and put it on the frag rack for the moment.