Pod Your Reef

Struggling with tank stand!

Galli

My new tank is going to be a 20H drilled, so the dimensions are 24Lx13W. The sump is 20Lx20W.

How on earth am I going to make this stand? My brain is sputtering when it comes to the logistics of it.

Could I perhaps do 24x24 and have more than enough room in the sump and ontop for the tank? Would that work with the supports?

Simulated Fish

Long are you have support under where the tank will rest then I don't see any issues, other then the extra room on the top. Tank may look out of place.

Just be sure to make a frame that matches the tanks dimensions and it sits in that.

Okay, so with the tank itself being 24inches long then it won't interfere with the sump being only 20 inches long and wide. That sounds perfect and totally simple. Gah.

Simulated Fish
9 minutes ago, Galli said:

Okay, so with the tank itself being 24inches long then it won't interfere with the sump being only 20 inches long and wide. That sounds perfect and totally simple. Gah.

Yep you just need to add full length support, you make a second frame on The inside. Here is a super simple sketch of what I mean.

Screenshot_20170512-154951.thumb.png.472d0b287f1ed299037c139ad633478f.png

This way the weight sits on the supports just like a normal stand.

Hope that makes since feel free to ask more questions!

Nixperience

And they already have cabinet doors on them. Question is: why get a 20H at this point when you can fit a 60 cube on a vanity? And you can get them reef ready with bottom drain and return instead of drilling the back and having 4 inches of dead space behind for pipe. 

Simulated Fish
1 minute ago, Nixperience said:

And they already have cabinet doors on them. Question is: why get a 20H at this point when you can fit a 60 cube on a vanity?

Clearly they want the counter space ;)

Nixperience
1 minute ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Clearly they want the counter space ;)

So they can put stuff in front of the tank?

Simulated Fish

Lol I was only joking @Nixperience although during WC, testing the water, and acclimating are all reason to have some spare space. 

Wife hates me using the dinning room table when it's time for maintenance!

Well the wife will only allow me a 20 Gallon at the current time, so I'll have to stick with that. But a vanity is a great idea!

Nixperience

So you do the vanity with a 20H with room to expand to a 60 cube. If you do a 36" vanity, you could have much bigger expansion possibilities. If you change your mind about a 20x20 sump, you could have lots more options. You could get 14" depth upper cabinets and build them out 4-6" on the backside. Could do 30x20 stand instead that way, and fit a rectangular sump underneath, which is much easier to work in than a square. 

Archived