SaltCritters.com

Lighting Recommendations for 15gal Column reef setup

kersh

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement lighting for my Aqueon 15gal Column tank reef (new) setup. The stock light is a 12" flor. T5, I believe.

This is my first saltwater build. Budget options would be preferred, but I know I need to replace what is there prior to adding any reef elements, coral, etc.

05.07.17 Aqueon 15gal Column 2.jpg

The light is fine for everything but corals.

Because its a column some of the budget lights won't work due to depth.

1 light you could do is a Coral Compulsion par38 bulb 35 watt full spectrum. 

Thats the cheapest option and coral compulsion has a few different ones available.

mars aqua

Ai Prime

Or a t5ho fixture

thanks. I'll check them out. I guess a clip-on or bar type over the top would be easiest/best, replacing the stock cover? a pane of glass could be used to cover the tank then? I'll probably start out with fish only, but I'd like to eventually have coral. slowly, slowly...

You can keep it stock until you go for coral. The AI prime, Kessil 150, and nano-box are great lights, but not on the budget side of things.

You'd have to do either diy mesh lid or glass.

To be honest, keeping it completely covered isn't the best. Its better open with mesh lid for temp control and gas exchange. 

To keep the lid, you'd have diy or have someone make a retrofit light.

20 hours ago, Boggers said:

You can keep it stock until you go for coral. The AI prime, Kessil 150, and nano-box are great lights, but not on the budget side of things.

The Nano Box lights are beautiful. Wow. Thanks for the suggestions. 

20 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You'd have to do either diy mesh lid or glass.

To be honest, keeping it completely covered isn't the best. Its better open with mesh lid for temp control and gas exchange. 

To keep the lid, you'd have diy or have someone make a retrofit light.

I'll plan on making a mesh cover then. I like that idea. It'll give me more options for lighting.

I have that on a 10g tank. The nano won't do a 15g nor a column.

I would do coral compulsion par 38, 35 watt, that can handle the depth, the aquamaxx nano may not, meaning limitations on corals 

Another option is the Ai Prime

Archived