Cultivated Reef

12 gallon Mr Aqua.... Lessons learned.... 🤓

JcSH2o

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I wanted to do saltwater for awhile and then I found the tank for sale on Craigslist and I googled "12 gallon long reef" and @Scorched's video came up...... I knew I had to have the tank after watching his reef!!

51 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Thanks. And I can see why, as his tank is definitely on fire! One of a few builds I've had the pleasure of reading in its entirety! 

Thanks you two!!  

I'm glad I could inspire more new reefers and get people excited to try the same tank.  Both of your 12 longs are off to a great start.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Scorched said:

Thanks you two!!  

I'm glad I could inspire more new reefers and get people excited to try the same tank.  Both of your 12 longs are off to a great start.

Wow thank you! That means a lot to me. :D

• Like 1
MrNanoReef
1 hour ago, JcSH2o said:

Thanks. And I can see why, as his tank is definitely on fire! One of a few builds I've had the pleasure of reading in its entirety! 

Somehow I stumbled across CJsAquariums YouTube videos and found myself fascinated. I started researching more about corals and for me, my tipping point was when I found Tidal Gardens. I knew I had to experience coral keeping first hand. Somewhere I found a link to @MrNanoReef and that's how I discovered the MrAqua12 and Nano-Reef.

And here I am! B) 

I'm glad my tank has inspired new reefer like you, ironically it was @Scorched 12L tank that inspired me :) to create mine. 

Your scape looks good. Although I would either make the arch rock narrower or take out the 3rd rock to give more negative space in between.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

I'm glad my tank has inspired new reefer like you, ironically it was @Scorched 12L tank that inspired me :) to create mine. 

Your scape looks good. Although I would either make the arch rock narrower or take out the 3rd rock to give more negative space in between.

Thanks for that! I can use that tomorrow to guide me along. I just glued the arch (maybe prematurely? ) so I'll keep whittling away at the others and coax some more negative space into the scene. It's not easy getting depth out of less than 8 inches! :rolleyes: I'm having fun though and for the most part the Pukani is easy to shave and shape. 

Thanks again for the advice!

• Like 1
On 5/20/2017 at 10:55 PM, JcSH2o said:

New question! I'm researching all about water movement, and after ditching the idea of the MP10 series I thought I had settled in on the Tunze 6040. I like that it's small, can be mounted on the rear wall, and seems to offer more controllabilty than the Jebaos.

BUT....

Then of course today I discovered the Hydor offshoot company, Aqamai, and their new circulation pump that splits the price points of the Tunze and Jebao. This thing is TINY, and its wifi so controlling via app sounds cool... not to mention you can customize every 30minute chunk of every 24 hours... Very cool.

The only downside is the slowest end of this pump is still about 350gph, where the tunze can go much less. That's my question, is that too much flow in my 12 gallon long?? 

I'm planning on a mixed reef with only 2 or 3 SPS corals.... ?

I think an Aqamai would be good in that tank!!

Glad you gave the Pukani a Muriatic bath, you could have had problems otherwise. 

My LFS kinda mirrors your description of yours, I had to kinda chuckle when I read it. 

I regularly visit them, engage with them when I go in and get basic stuff from them, but I'm cautious in what I purchase from them and get the nicer fancier stuff online or from other hobbyists in general. 

We have a couple other members in your general area that maybe could help, @Rain24 and @Polarcollision. 

• Like 1
On 2017-5-19 at 7:25 PM, JcSH2o said:

Lol exactly! I know I love Blastos and Brains (not sure the actual name?) And plating (montiporas?) and zoa gardens and anything that moves like hammers and torches and xenias... ??? I'm right there with you!

Are Zoas difficult? Is there anything I should know or should I pay close attention to researching them?

Blastomussa. Beautiful coral and very easy to keep if you provide it the right conditions. Low - moderate light, moderate flow.

Brains- acans, favia/favite, scolymia, trachiphylia.

Acans and favia are fairly easy

Frogspawn and hammers are easy too

Zoas- hit and miss. Not hard to keep but some ppl just have no luck with them

Not sure if you got a powerhead yet but i use the jebao sw2 in a 15g and its very powerful. In my 10g it was on the lowest setting which still was too much.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think an Aqamai would be good in that tank!!

Glad you gave the Pukani a Muriatic bath, you could have had problems otherwise. 

My LFS kinda mirrors your description of yours, I had to kinda chuckle when I read it. 

I regularly visit them, engage with them when I go in and get basic stuff from them, but I'm cautious in what I purchase from them and get the nicer fancier stuff online or from other hobbyists in general. 

We have a couple other members in your general area that maybe could help, @Rain24 and @Polarcollision. 

Yes I'm sure I chose correctly in the Muriatic bath. :D It was funny because after all my research on the subject and after I had finally picked up all if my supplies, I headed to a friend's large and open property for the actual process. On my way there, BRS drops their Investigation video on non other than Muriatic/Bleach washing of Pukani! It was like a sign from Reef Heaven! Hahaha

Thanks for the heads up on members in my area... I'm definitely interested!

45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Blastomussa. Beautiful coral and very easy to keep if you provide it the right conditions. Low - moderate light, moderate flow.

Brains- acans, favia/favite, scolymia, trachiphylia.

Acans and favia are fairly easy

Frogspawn and hammers are easy too

Zoas- hit and miss. Not hard to keep but some ppl just have no luck with them

Not sure if you got a powerhead yet but i use the jebao sw2 in a 15g and its very powerful. In my 10g it was on the lowest setting which still was too much.

That looks like a beautiful list of corals to me! I can hardly wait! B) And yes I'm thinking the Aqamai over the Tunze or Jebao for this one. 

I don't want to add water until my overflow arrives from @Oceanbox Designs, as I'll need to silicone it in. I think adding water to cycle and then removing everything to silicone it in place may be the wrong choice? 

• Like 1
On 6/3/2017 at 11:12 AM, JcSH2o said:

Yes I'm sure I chose correctly in the Muriatic bath. :D It was funny because after all my research on the subject and after I had finally picked up all if my supplies, I headed to a friend's large and open property for the actual process. On my way there, BRS drops their Investigation video on non other than Muriatic/Bleach washing of Pukani! It was like a sign from Reef Heaven! Hahaha

Thanks for the heads up on members in my area... I'm definitely interested!

That looks like a beautiful list of corals to me! I can hardly wait! B) And yes I'm thinking the Aqamai over the Tunze or Jebao for this one. 

I don't want to add water until my overflow arrives from @Oceanbox Designs, as I'll need to silicone it in. I think adding water to cycle and then removing everything to silicone it in place may be the wrong choice? 

The tunze dc multidirectional ones are sweeeeet.

Dollar bills, y'all 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

The tunze dc multidirectional ones are sweeeeet.

Dollar bills, y'all 

Just a few... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd share my excitement.... Finally my order is showing delivery expected this coming Monday. Literally the final piece of my initial setup, allowing me to at long last add water and begin my reefing adventure! 

This sump was ordered back in mid May, so needless to say I am just ecstatic to get my hands on it! Whooooooooooot! :lol:20170812_104321.thumb.png.388350ab334933e34b03fa7da20069fd.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

Just thought I'd share my excitement.... Finally my order is showing delivery expected this coming Monday. Literally the final piece of my initial setup, allowing me to at long last add water and begin my reefing adventure! 

This sump was ordered back in mid May, so needless to say I am just ecstatic to get my hands on it! Whooooooooooot! :lol:20170812_104321.thumb.png.388350ab334933e34b03fa7da20069fd.png

Very exciting!!!

• Thanks 1
Just now, JcSH2o said:

Even better news! I just received notice it arrived TODAY and is waiting for me when I get off of work. 2.5 hours to go! Hahaha

Always nice when stuff arrives early!

So glad to hear it has already arrived. Hope all is well, it's a long way from TX to WA. 

So excited for you to get this up and running with your tank! Lets see some first impression pics :)

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

i just wanted to say congrats on becoming a reefer and welcome to the site!  this is my first time reading this thread and i must say it's awesome to see the excitement and enthusiasm of a newcomer to hobby, especially one that seems knowledgeable, capable, has done his homework, etc, like it seems you have. 

often times new reefers are so excited to jump in that they don't research, plan, and then slowly execute that plan that it can be almost awkward when reading their posts and seeing their pictures because you have a strong feeling that they are bound for failure.  however i can tell already that you will have success in this.  there of course will always be setbacks even for the most experienced reefer, but if you have come this far then you already know to educate yourself, go slow, and be patient and calculated with all your decisions.   

the 12g long is one of my favorite tanks as far as nanos go and i'm excited to see another one get started on here.  i'll be following along!

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i just wanted to say congrats on becoming a reefer and welcome to the site!  this is my first time reading this thread and i must say it's awesome to see the excitement and enthusiasm of a newcomer to hobby, especially one that seems knowledgeable, capable, has done his homework, etc, like it seems you have. 

often times new reefers are so excited to jump in that they don't research, plan, and then slowly execute that plan that it can be almost awkward when reading their posts and seeing their pictures because you have a strong feeling that they are bound for failure.  however i can tell already that you will have success in this.  there of course will always be setbacks even for the most experienced reefer, but if you have come this far then you already know to educate yourself, go slow, and be patient and calculated with all your decisions.   

the 12g long is one of my favorite tanks as far as nanos go and i'm excited to see another one get started on here.  i'll be following along!

Wow thanks for this! That means a lot and it won't be taken for granted! 

The researching and learning are endless but also endlessly fascinating for me. The more I learn the more I want to learn, and the more astounded I am that I didn't explore this topic more already. It's beautiful.

I have finally unpacked and test fit the sump and all is well! Everything fit precisely as it should, and I believe the Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 pump I opted for will work perfectly.

@Oceanbox Designs I've waited a long time, but it was worth it. Your craftsmanship is beautiful and clean. I'm very critical of flush edges and clean seams and your build quality does not disappoint. Bravo sir!

My plans now are to wait for a nice quiet house (I have 5 kids) and then I can silicon the overflow and begin making water. 

Sorry for the less than pretty photos! Hahaha :rolleyes:

20170812_175807.jpg

20170812_175920.jpg

20170812_180721.jpg

20170812_180908.jpg

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin
58 minutes ago, JcSH2o said:

Wow thanks for this! That means a lot and it won't be taken for granted! 

The researching and learning are endless but also endlessly fascinating for me. The more I learn the more I want to learn, and the more astounded I am that I didn't explore this topic more already. It's beautiful.

this response is exactly what i'm talking about...the obsessive learning is a huge part of this hobby in my opinion.  

congrats on that beautiful sump!  good choice on the syncra 0.5, it's a great pump and has worked well for me.

don't be afraid to overdue it with pictures of your progress, we like that around here haha

cheers 

• Like 2

Wow, the sump looks great!  Looking forward to when you get water in the tank!

Also, 5 kids?  Does a quiet house ever happen? :lol:

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wow, the sump looks great!  Looking forward to when you get water in the tank!

Also, 5 kids?  Does a quiet house ever happen? :lol:

During the summer.... Not very often! Haha but school starts soon! A lot of my planning happens early in the morning or late at night while the kids sleep (and probably a fair bit through out the day as I'm an adamant daydreamer), and I seize every opportunity I get for projects and maintenance. I suppose the scheduling and planning for such a large family helps me in scheduling and planning my own free moments throughout the week. :lol:

10 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

lol i thought the same thing.  how do you even have money for a reef??

The lady and I are blessed with good incomes, and I suppose where there's a will there's a budget to pave a way.... Hahaha

• Like 4

Woot! So glad to see it arrived in perfect shape. Sorry it took so much longer than I anticipated, I don't skip a beat when it come to crafting a high quality product that need to last for years. Looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

• Thanks 1