Innovative Marine Aquariums

sabrefencer's 100 days of nano contest

sabrefencer

sabrefencer

I have to start by thanking @metrokat by asking me to join this contest:D

She is a cool cat and certainly one of the most amiable, knowledgeable and creative person that I know of in the reefing community. I was seriously thinking of taking a break from this hobby, due to my other competing hobbies, but @metrokat renewed my interest with this contest.  Thanks @metrokat.

I'm certainly looking up to @metrokat's passion for this hobby and her amazing tanks. Certainly have a lot to look up to in terms of reefing skills. I have no reefing skills for sure but I do have other great skills. B)

Lack of time will be my biggest obstacle - I'm typing this up on my iPhone on  my home bound train. However I'm a bit more motivated now that I've officially entered the contest. 

The tank will sit on a formica kitchen counter in my basement bolted to the wall where the Olympia Cremina espresso machine is - out goes the espresso machine in comes the IM peninsula. I use this space to do some work and to chill watching sports. At one point in time in my s/w aquarium journey I had a nice inwall tank where the tv is now - (will have to dig up some pics)

I have a 30gallon breeder I've been neglecting with some corals and live rock and a few fish - 1 saddle back clown , 1 PJ cardinal and two damsels so I will mostly pull from there and give them a new better cared for home. 

I usually go bare bottom but for this tank I'm going with a substrate and using tropic eden. For livestock  I think I'm going to go with mostly hammers and frogspawn and a pair of clowns. Haven't thought about the aquascape yet and will most likely run a phosban reactor with rowaphos - one of my favorites for GFO since I already have it.

I'm a big tank guy for the most part but have been intrigued by smaller tanks and especially desktop / counter top setups so I hope I know what I'm getting into. If I'm allowed I'll definitely tap into  @metrokat's great reefing skills. :D

That's it for now - will post some dry pics of the tank as soon as I get it. 

Let the fun begin. 

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

• Like 8

Welcome aboard and well you will have fun with the AIO...........I have a love hate relationship with them :lol: but still got the 14............

• Like 1
sabrefencer

Thanks @spectra. @Mariaface I have no great reefing skills only other great skills :D so I'm shooting for next to last place. 

Can't believe the tank is arriving today 2 days total transit 

IMG_3595.thumb.PNG.b2a69ff0324cef1180a10ca624e9b83d.PNG

For corals as mentioned going to pull from my bubble algae infested tank :D 

Here is a green hammer - thinking of transferring over 

IMG_3594.JPG

• Like 8
sabrefencer

I can see that wire management is going to be an issue and I don't want to drill any more holes since it's kind of tight behind the tank - not much room but it can be done - what's one more hole for the sake of a contest right ?:D

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

• Like 2
sabrefencer

Final resting place I think - well nothing like a dry fit for everything - just need to perhaps reinforce the counter top- not much weight to support with about 150 lbs give or take  - counter top is supported to the wall behind the tank and partially to the left of the tank on the side wall - I may just have some vertical posts cut for extra support - 

length of this tank worked out perfectly for this space. Lucked out 

IMG_3605.JPG

• Like 6
sabrefencer

Wondering if I should place an order from Tampa Bay Saltwater - and get the package - I have some nice live rock pieces with tons of life on it - sponges, tube worms , feather dusters and all sorts of little critters on it from my 30 breeder but the bubble algae on it makes me think twice - even if I successfully take it off without bursting the bubble :D 

also need to order a new eheim 50w heater and an intank media basket - I gave away my other 50w eheim / ebo-jager heater - thinking there's no way I'm starting a nano - unfortunately the 100w heaters I have don't fit.

the current USA arm comes in today - 

might do some local scouting for some live rock 

Lastly I will need to get some sort of temp controller - the Neptune apex jr I have went kaput so thinking of a good old industrial ranco.

As far as ATO I have a JBJ but one of the float valves needs to be replaced -  but thinking tunze micro or smart ato

• Like 3
sabrefencer

I decided to order a tunze nano ato- I've dealt with roger vitko before and he's a class act. Love tunze products. Wasn't worth replacing the sensors and ordering new brackets for the JBJ which added up to about $50 shipped + I'd have to buy a new pump and tubing so not worth IMO. 

Still undecided on a pump for circulation - spoke with marine depot and they recommended a current USA pump - but I think I'm leaning toward a tunze again for this - 

• Like 1
Coral_chef
1 minute ago, sabrefencer said:

I decided to order a tunze nano ato- I've dealt with roger vitko before and he's a class act. Love tunze products. Wasn't worth replacing the sensors and ordering new brackets for the JBJ which added up to about $50 shipped + I'd have to buy a new pump and tubing so not worth IMO. 

Still undecided on a pump for circulation - spoke with marine depot and they recommended a current USA pump - but I think I'm leaning toward a tunze again for this - 

The return pump has to be stock per the rules.

the tunze ato is working great for me. 

Tank seems to be going through a little over a gallon a week. 

sabrefencer
1 minute ago, Coral_chef said:

The return pump has to be stock per the rules.

the tunze ato is working great for me. 

Tank seems to be going through a little over a gallon a week. 

Thanks ! I was referring to the power head and not return pump - 

Appreciate the feedback on the tunze nano ato though - I have the 3155 on my larger tank 

• Like 1
Coral_chef
1 minute ago, sabrefencer said:

Thanks ! I was referring to the power head and not return pump - 

Appreciate the feedback on the tunze nano ato though - I have the 3155 on my larger tank 

My bad. 

sabrefencer

Back from the dead - from a bout of food poisoning - not pleasant 

I'm going to use the big tunze nano osmolator 3155 with the optical sensor - found one used locally for a good price and I know the seller who is a moderator on Manhattanreefs.com. I just need to get a temp controller. Ebo jager eheim 50w heater, Current  USA Powerhead and intank basket due to arrive mid next week and I should be set as far as equipment. 

Hopefully I can water test today 

• Like 4
Coral_chef
4 hours ago, sabrefencer said:

Back from the dead - from a bout of food poisoning - not pleasant 

I'm going to use the big tunze nano osmolator 3155 with the optical sensor - found one used locally for a good price and I know the seller who is a moderator on Manhattanreefs.com. I just need to get a temp controller. Ebo jager eheim 50w heater, Current  USA Powerhead and intank basket due to arrive mid next week and I should be set as far as equipment. 

Hopefully I can water test today 

Will the sensor fit in the third chamber?

3 hours ago, sabrefencer said:

Thanks StellaBlue. Those late night sandwiches with mayo may turn out to be no good. 

They need refrigeration :lol: warm mayo :wacko: the end results are usually not good.

sabrefencer
2 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Will the sensor fit in the third chamber?

Thanks for the heads up . I should check to see if the magnet will fit and yes @spectra warm mayo no bueno. 

• Like 1