Pod Your Reef

Strange violet encrusting octocoral id

moose2823

Hi all, I have this strange encrusting octocoral(?) in my tank, and all attempts so far to find anything similar online have been fruitless. It looks like an octocoral, but doesnt have any feathers, just tiny little nubs on the fingers. Maybe corky finger, but looks different than that too since its not really growing in a discreet upwards manner but is instead encrusting over my rocks. The only thing that ive found that remotely resembles the polyp shape is something called nanipora  kamurai, which is "a living fossil" new to science so i highly doubt its that. I bought this as a $10 frag about a month ago and since then it has at least doubled in size, so its apparently doing well but id like to know more about it going forward. Thanks for any help in advance!

IMG_3223.JPG

So its just another xeniid? Well thats boring that i put it next to another xenia then...maybe ill move the pulsing xenia elsewhere before it starts to encrust over its frag and onto my rock (only had it about a week)...or maybe ill try building a xenia collection!

If the pulsing grows as well as the violet one, then ill be rolling in drade in credit for sure! Lfs has surprisingly few on a day to day basis

• 8 months later...

I know this post is old, but I'm now fairly convinced that this xeniid is the encrusting form of Asterospicularia, which is apparently a relatively new soft coral to the hobby.  Does anyone out there have experience with Asterospicularia and could weigh in?  Thanks in advance!!