Top Shelf Aquatics

100 Days of a 4 and 2 year olds contest tank(New Pics!)

Addinali

Had a small Purple Pincushion Urchin in my tank the boys wanted so I moved it over. 

:)

And with that it raised my livestock cost to the total below.

LIVESTOCK

Fish:

ORA Neon Goby $18.19

Rainfordi Goby $13.99

Coral:

Zoas $13.99

Green/Pink Star Polyps $13.99

Orange Sponge $13.99

Inverts:

4x Nerite Snails $1.99

Pink Pincushion Urchin $7.99

Livestock Total: $90.10

IMG_2373.JPG

• Like 9

Can't find the Rainfordi Goby the last couple days. I checked around the tank and in the over flow area. He was coming out to eat everyday and yesterday he did not. Hopefully he shows up today.

1 hour ago, Addinali said:

Can't find the Rainfordi Goby the last couple days. I checked around the tank and in the over flow area. He was coming out to eat everyday and yesterday he did not. Hopefully he shows up today.

Can't "like"  this. OH NO!  Hope he shows up.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2017 at 1:28 PM, Pjanssen said:

My pin cushion urchin just died ? It was 7 years old. I guess that's a long time ?

Aww, yeah that seems a good long life for an urchin!

3 hours ago, Addinali said:

Uh oh, I hope he comes out soon! :(

• Like 2

My crappy FTS I have not added anything but the urchin. My tank is in the ugly stage right now and I have a missing fish and i'm pretty sure the neon goby has a spot of ich.  :(

The kids on the other hand still love the tank though so that's good! :)

5T1A7571.jpg

5T1A7576.jpg

5T1A7581.jpg

• Like 2
coralcousins
11 hours ago, Addinali said:

Can't find the Rainfordi Goby the last couple days. I checked around the tank and in the over flow area. He was coming out to eat everyday and yesterday he did not. Hopefully he shows up today

Did you check the rear chambers ? In my past tank (biocube 14g) I had a very small watchman goby that disappeared one day. I looked everywhere and gave up. A month later I'm siphoning out water from the rear chamber and there the goby was alive and well. It took at least another week to fetch goby out since it could swim in unreachable areas.

• Like 1

Aw bummer!  When I thought my baby clown had ich, I was recommended to try the tank transfer method to help get rid of ich (TTM).  You can look on my 5.5 link (in sig) for some resources on it.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

@seabass cured Ick with Hyposalnity.

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Aw bummer!  When I thought my baby clown had ich, I was recommended to try the tank transfer method to help get rid of ich (TTM).  You can look on my 5.5 link (in sig) for some resources on it.

Thanks for the help guys. I have been in the hobby for a long time and have dealt with ich a lot. Its just stressful to explain to one kid your fish is missing and the the other one your fish is sick. 

18 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Did you check the rear chambers ? In my past tank (biocube 14g) I had a very small watchman goby that disappeared one day. I looked everywhere and gave up. A month later I'm siphoning out water from the rear chamber and there the goby was alive and well. It took at least another week to fetch goby out since it could swim in unreachable areas.

I have checked the crap out of the rear chambers but he is so small I might have missed him some where. I hope he turns up he was beautiful.  

2 minutes ago, stellablue said:

aww man.  Everything was looking so good!  Then I read about the missing goby and the ich goby :(  

I know. :(

• Like 2

I love urchins and their party hats.  I'm sad my black urchin doesn't wear them... :(  He was wearing sand today, but I'm pretty sure it was coincidence and Maru the Seaweed Blenny  dumped it on him...

• Like 6

Ok no sign of the randifordi goby and I took the neon goby back to the lfs to go in there quarantine tank to get better.

So now the tank is fish less :(. The boys are upset about the fish and im thinking about dropping out of the competition because of the setbacks.   

6 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Ok no sign of the randifordi goby and I took the neon goby back to the lfs to go in there quarantine tank to get better.

So now the tank is fish less :(. The boys are upset about the fish and im thinking about dropping out of the competition because of the setbacks.   

noooooo. We all have set backs. In the end it doesn't really matter about the contest, but your kids will learn so much.

• Like 5
MaineReefkeeper
33 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Don't throw in the towel!! There's bound to be a few set backs but in the long run I'm sure things will work out and it really is a great education for the kids!!! Keep your head up!!:)

• Like 2

I agree with everyone else............this hobby throws you curve balls and well...........we all deal with them..........hang in there things will get better.

fishfreak0114

Don't give up yet!  Fish death is always discouraging (I should know, I've had very bad luck getting fish through QT), but like others have said, we all hit setbacks.  If you stick with it and push through it, you'll learn lots and your tank will reward you!  I can't even count the number of times I've gone on rants on my thread when something dies or isn't going well-- about how I'm done, I don't like this hobby anymore, I'm a fish murderer, I want to quit, etc.  However, I've always stuck with it, and if I hadn't, there's so many things I wouldn't have learned, and happy moments I wouldn't have had :)

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

noooooo. We all have set backs. In the end it doesn't really matter about the contest, but your kids will learn so much.

1 hour ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

Don't throw in the towel!! There's bound to be a few set backs but in the long run I'm sure things will work out and it really is a great education for the kids!!! Keep your head up!!:)

49 minutes ago, spectra said:

I agree with everyone else............this hobby throws you curve balls and well...........we all deal with them..........hang in there things will get better.

19 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Don't give up yet!  Fish death is always discouraging (I should know, I've had very bad luck getting fish through QT), but like others have said, we all hit setbacks.  If you stick with it and push through it, you'll learn lots and your tank will reward you!  I can't even count the number of times I've gone on rants on my thread when something dies or isn't going well-- about how I'm done, I don't like this hobby anymore, I'm a fish murderer, I want to quit, etc.  However, I've always stuck with it, and if I hadn't, there's so many things I wouldn't have learned, and happy moments I wouldn't have had :)

Thanks guys! It just sucks I have a tank that has been up for 2 years and it runs so smooth.

And I wasn't quitting as in taking down the tank I would leave it up for the kids. I was talking about getting out of the competition because of all the setbacks. If the ich parasite is in the tank it will take 3-6 weeks without fish in the tank for the parasite to fully die off which just puts me further behind. I have been in the hobby for 10 years so I would never quit or get out I have been through all the ups and downs there is. I was just thinking if we hopped out of the competition we could just take it slow on this tank. 

But I guess we will stay in maybe we will win most frugal at this point. 

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Most frugal!  That's definitely a possibility!  No reason you can't take the tank at whatever pace you want and still stay in the competition.  It may not be as far along stocking wise as the other tanks, but that doesn't matter.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Addinali said:

Thanks guys! It just sucks I have a tank that has been up for 2 years and it runs so smooth.

And I wasn't quitting as in taking down the tank I would leave it up for the kids. I was talking about getting out of the competition because of all the setbacks. If the ich parasite is in the tank it will take 3-6 weeks without fish in the tank for the parasite to fully die off which just puts me further behind. I have been in the hobby for 10 years so I would never quit or get out I have been through all the ups and downs there is. I was just thinking if we hopped out of the competition we could just take it slow on this tank. 

But I guess we will stay in maybe we will win most frugal at this point. 

Maybe an opportunity to focus on inverts? ;)  Bummer about the ich too though, my tank will be fishless for a while thanks to whatever my little clown baby had.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Addinali said:

Nooooo!! Don't drop out! There are so many cool critters you can get that aren't fish - your sons will still love it and love looking for them. Rock flower anemone and anemone crab or shrimp, Pom Pom crab, different hermits, etc! Then when the fallow period is over, introduce fish! 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Addinali said:

Setbacks are a part of the whole story and no reason to quit. @Mariaface had every reason to quit when her tank got taken over by bacterial slime but she hung in there and is getting a somewhere now. Your kids will have fun watching "pretty fish" but they will learn how to handle setbacks by watching how you handle this one.

In totally different news, I'm quite close to you for a couple days, in Oak Ridge.

• Like 6
debbeach13

With 10 years in the hobby you already know that things happen. The challenges can seem overwhelming at times but they pass. As suggested maybe go for an invert tank or just wait it out. Use the time to research or explore different options for live stock. I hope you hang in there I enjoy following your tank. Just need a couple more kid pictures and you will be all caught up!

• Like 4