Pod Your Reef

5th Grade Classroom Tank - New plans and questions!

hinnenkm

ChristopherDido
On 7/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, hinnenkm said:

Sorry I hadn't seen this for some reason! I'd love to see how your tank progresses :) There really are a lot of benefits to having this in the classroom and middle-school is a great age for it too!! Have fun :)

Thanks so much - it's been a really cool coral to have and it's exciting to see how it's thrived over time!

I will keep you updated when it's up and running.  Working with a Local LFS here and they may have a "Demo" tank for me.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If I hear nothing on that in the next week, I'm just gonna pull the trigger and buy one, thinking a 10 Gallon that can sit on my desk away from the direct Window light.  I'll post the Journal here when it's up.  The kids will be running the tank and have access to posting and updating on what they are learning as they go, I hope they will find this site as helpful as I have!  Looking forward to more updates from you too!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I will keep you updated when it's up and running.  Working with a Local LFS here and they may have a "Demo" tank for me.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If I hear nothing on that in the next week, I'm just gonna pull the trigger and buy one, thinking a 10 Gallon that can sit on my desk away from the direct Window light.  I'll post the Journal here when it's up.  The kids will be running the tank and have access to posting and updating on what they are learning as they go, I hope they will find this site as helpful as I have!  Looking forward to more updates from you too!!!

Good to hear about the news with your set-up! I bet you're ready to get it started :) It will be fun to see what happens with your tank and I'll definitely follow. 

I don't think I'll have many more updates until I get the tank in my classroom (just in a few more weeks).... but it will be fun to see what happens with it this year.

Take care!

• Like 1

Update time...

This sponge has been getting bigger and bigger - I'm really liking it!
The nano conchs have been laying eggs continuously for quite awhile now....
Finally, we are able to see some of the babies :)
One of the adults...
Last week I was able to get sand in the tank - finally had some time to get it done and the tank looks completely different :)

I was also able to convince another co-worker to set up a tank - she took my old 9 gallon!

Things have been doing really well and it's been fun to see the progress. We are really liking the Fusion 20 and I am looking forward to getting my students more involved - just haven't had much of a chance yet. My plan at this point is to kind of just let things cruise and not add anything for awhile.... then hopefully get students involved with researching other types of corals/inverts and doing some persuasive writing on why they should be included in the tank. 

The classroom tank has always served to help me be more mindful and focused too - especially on days when I need to have a little peace.

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Updates on this are few and far between - there's not much time when I've got a couple jobs and other responsibilities to keep me busy, but I finally have a free morning :) 

Overall the tank has been on cruise, but I tend to feed heavily and nutrient levels crept up without me realizing it, but they are now back under control. I did loose a few duncan polyps in the process and am considering getting rid of the colony all together, but I don't know for sure yet. 

Also, I just recently upgraded the pump to a Sicce 1.5 and after the holidays will be putting the Random Flow Generators on this tank as well!

Beyond that, if you haven't checked out https://www.tran-quility-reef.com yet, you should do so (or on Facebook and/or Instagram). Tran is doing some great things and has some great giveaways. At the end of November, she also decided to feature my classroom tank!! Head on over and take a look: 

https://www.tran-quility-reef.com/single-post/2017/11/30/15-class-is-in-session

*Pictures are in the blog post*

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Once again, it's been awhile since the last update, but here are some pics :)

This plate coral is easily one of my favorites!

Not the best pic, but the midas blenny is absolutely one of my favorite fish! Look at those blue eyes :wub:
He also happens to be a jumper.... the first time into the back chambers not too long after we got him. The second time was while we were feeding the tank as I was taking the cover off. I saw something fall to the side of the tank and I glanced at it not quite sure what it was. We proceeded to feed the tank, observe for a bit, and then had to transition to the next part of our day. Knowing the blenny had already jumped once, I looked for him before putting the cover back on and couldn't find him. I looked all around the tank and he was on the side of it wedged between the tank and the counter. I thought he was dead and still cleaned him up and put him back in the tank (holding him in my hand next to the flow for a bit). Had I not looked for him, he obviously wouldn't have made it, but amazingly he pulled through although he was definitely shaken up for quite awhile afterwards. He is now the one fish that gets watched like a hawk!

This is finally starting to bounce back. This fall, before the heat kicked in at school, the tank got pretty chilly and this nepthea basically turned into a couple nubs and now I'm starting to see polyps extend again :)

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

I love your rock work

I appreciate that because I just moved things around today before the fts! I feel like I can't ever get things quite right and the urchin is typically moving stuff around as well... :unsure:

• Haha 1
ChristopherDido
21 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

I appreciate that because I just moved things around today before the fts! I feel like I can't ever get things quite right and the urchin is typically moving stuff around as well... :unsure:

I'm afraid to get an urchin... Don't think I'm ready for that yet.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2018 at 3:35 PM, Weikel said:

Looking great.. what are you using to take your photos? They look nice and aren't that overly blue color 

Sorry for the delay - it's a Nikon Coolpix S9600. Decent white balance, but I usually adjust the light about so I get it as close to natural as possible.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:59 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Tank is looking good! Glad the blenny got rescued. I'm sure he's glad too lol.

Thanks much! Yeah, I think we would all agree that it's better to have him in the tank rather than somewhere else!

• Like 1
On 1/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, ninjamyst said:

the sun coral looks like a centerpiece! 

Thanks, definitely is and it's one of my favorites. I'll have to get a better updated pic :)

On 2/21/2018 at 4:07 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How is the classroom tank doing these days @hinnenkm? ?

Thanks for asking. The tank is cruising, but with work and my grad class, I haven't had time for anything else let alone pics or updates.... hope to get some pics to maybe upload tomorrow?! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Long time coming.... here's the latest update!

One of the several baby tuxedos that were donated to our classrooms :) I am in love with them! 

It's really interesting though how they are all growing at very different rates, some of them are relatively 

'huge' (about the size of a small grape), while others are still the size of a pea or smaller.

Fighting conch has been a new addition - one of my favorite inverts.

Working on the acan garden too - the oranges are bright!

The trumpets have all been looking super fluffy as well - which makes me happy!

It's blurry, but cool perspective...

Baby dendros aren't so little anymore.

The plate!

Full tank shot 

Sun corals are loving things too right now!

One of the best ways to view a tank - the nepthea has come back beautifully!

Things overall have been good - lost a plate coral though.... 

Also wondering about the bubble tips.... I was looking through pics from the beginning of the year and they

were much bigger.... My lighting hasn't changed and I feed them 2-3 times a week..... if anyone has any suggestions

I would love them! Thanks for looking :)

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Over a month since the last update, but the tank is still doing well! It is my peace when I need a couple seconds (or minutes) to just center myself again.

Starting off with a full tank video :)

Sun coral as usual has been doing great - one of my favorite pieces!

Can you spot the baby urchin below?

Scarlett hermits, never knew they had green eyes...

New bubble tip for the clowns - so far it hasn't moved and it is looking beautiful! The other two just kept getting smaller and smaller despite no changes in lighting/parameters and receiving food a few times a week.... No idea

Dendros have been growing nicely as well

Zoa garden is a work in progress

Jerry, the orange spot goby

Overall, the tank continues to run well. There are a few aptasia here and there, but I don't want to put a peppermint shrimp in - can't stand them.... I'll figure something out this summer. I also put some chaeto in the back chamber and have a light on it at night. The chaeto has been growing like crazy and my nitrates have definitely decreased - which is really cool to see such a noticeable difference! I like to feed the tank and the kids like to watch, so to find a nice balance between nutrient import and export has been fun. In all honesty, this has been one of my favorite set ups and I love that I get to enjoy it almost every day. Thanks for looking and please let me know if there are ever any comments and/or suggestions to continue improving!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

The classroom tank is still chugging along. There haven't been any changes since the last update and the end of the school year has been busy. I have been growing cheato in the back chamber consistently now and it is definitely helping keep nitrates down. I think I'm also to the point where it needs to come home with me because it got fairly hot over the weekend and the corals weren't quite themselves this morning... everything should bounce back fine though.

In regards to the aptasia, I ordered quite a few berghia nudibranchs that I will run through my tanks and am looking forward to them getting rid of the aptasia that has been in the tank for quite awhile now.

Here's the latest:

• Like 3
ChristopherDido

Looks great! How are you getting chaeto in the back? Did you scrape off some of the black on the back? Was thinking of doing that.

On 3/20/2018 at 2:17 PM, hinnenkm said:

Long time coming.... here's the latest update!

One of the several baby tuxedos that were donated to our classrooms :) I am in love with them! 

It's really interesting though how they are all growing at very different rates, some of them are relatively 

'huge' (about the size of a small grape), while others are still the size of a pea or smaller.

Fighting conch has been a new addition - one of my favorite inverts.

Working on the acan garden too - the oranges are bright!

The trumpets have all been looking super fluffy as well - which makes me happy!

It's blurry, but cool perspective...

Baby dendros aren't so little anymore.

The plate!

Full tank shot 

Sun corals are loving things too right now!

One of the best ways to view a tank - the nepthea has come back beautifully!

Things overall have been good - lost a plate coral though.... 

Also wondering about the bubble tips.... I was looking through pics from the beginning of the year and they

were much bigger.... My lighting hasn't changed and I feed them 2-3 times a week..... if anyone has any suggestions

I would love them! Thanks for looking :)

Cut that orange micromussa up and I’ll pay you for a piece. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherDido said:

Looks great! How are you getting chaeto in the back? Did you scrape off some of the black on the back? Was thinking of doing that.

It's in the back as is, I just have the light I used for the pico contest on top of it and I'll flip the chaeto every day or every other day ... so far it's worked great!

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Cut that orange micromussa up and I’ll pay you for a piece. 

Maybe when it actually grows! That's one of my favorites and haven't seen any new polyps on it yet...