Pod Your Reef

[The Official End and Beginning] The Creature Feature- EVO 5 Mantis Tank

lkoechle

“Darkness falls across the land

The midnight hour is close at hand

Creatures crawl in search of blood

To terrorize y'all's neighborhood”

Or, ocean in this case.  Welcome to tonight’s Creature Feature@lkoechle is your average housewife. Cooking, cleaning, more cooking, more cleaning.  Saving children from killing themselves and getting screamed at by not letting them kill themselves. @skoechle, your average 9 to 5 American male.  Goin’ to work, and bringin’ home the bacon.  They live a quiet, predictable suburban life.  Until the day they receive their live rock.  Or should I say, Horror Rock!

I love creature features… and that’s what this tank is.  A creature feature.  Home, hopefully, to a loveable N. Wennerae.  A stomatopod from my wonderful homestate of Florida.  They make lovely pets.  I highly recommend you acquaint yourselves with these True Facts and this comic.

Ah, don’t you just want to hug them?! <3 

This is a sister (albeit smaller sister) tank to the 100 Days of Nanos contest tank.

Equipment:

Fluval EVO Sea 5 gallon

Auqueon QuietFlow 600 return pump

Theo Heater 25 watt

Livestock:

N. Wennerae

Coral:

Favia

Lobophyllia

Mandarin Fireworks Clove Polyps

Kenya Tree

Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoas

Red montipora mollis

(all waiting in the Lagoon)

Ball sponge

Orange Sponge

Red Boring Sponge

Red Sponge

9c662be20e3fcfe38235bc3fd4d25c1e.jpg

• Like 11

It arrives:

33717185764_6d0e46f9e0.jpg

34174189990_553141be11.jpg

It begins!

I actually don't have the mantis in possession yet, but the collector does have it and will ship once the tank cycles. I pick up the rock tomorrow as well so we can get this whole dry bar party started!

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

How many tanks do you have ??

Aquarists Anonymous kicked her out for repeated relapses. 

Jealous, mantis skrimps are bad to the bone. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

How many tanks do you have ??

Just now, 1891Bro said:

Aquarists Anonymous kicked her out for repeated relapses. 

Jealous, mantis skrimps are bad to the bone. 

After the contest starts 3 salt and 1 freshwater (first 2 tanks in her profile are "retired")... @lkoechle needs another less expensive hobby so I can afford to keep eating.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, skoechle said:

After the contest starts 3 salt and 1 freshwater (first 2 tanks in her profile are "retired")... @lkoechle needs another less expensive hobby so I can afford to keep eating.

Or just assign an allowance and let her buy her own food!

Fish sticks anyone?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Fish sticks anyone?

he has tried that. lol

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Fish sticks anyone?

She will spend it all on fish and say food isnt important... but then she'll  gets seriously HANGRY and its scary. She would basically run me off my food. 

Which is why i said so I can afford to eat.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, lkoechle said:

“Darkness falls across the land

The midnight hour is close at hand

Creatures crawl in search of blood

To terrorize y'all's neighborhood”

Or, ocean in this case.  Welcome to tonight’s Creature Feature@lkoechle is your average housewife. Cooking, cleaning, more cooking, more cleaning.  Saving children from killing themselves and getting screamed at by not letting them kill themselves. @skoechle, your average 9 to 5 American male.  Goin’ to work, and bringin’ home the bacon.  They live a quiet, predictable suburban life.  Until the day they receive their live rock.  Or should I say, Horror Rock!

I love creature features… and that’s what this tank is.  A creature feature.  Home, hopefully, to a loveable N. Wennerae.  A stomatopod from my wonderful homestate of Florida.  They make lovely pets.  I highly recommend you acquaint yourselves with these True Facts and this comic.

Ah, don’t you just want to hug them?! <3 

This is a sister (albeit smaller sister) tank to the 100 Days of Nanos contest tank.

Equipment:

Fluval EVO Sea 5 gallon

Theo Heater 25 watt

Livestock:

N. Wennerae

Coral:

Favia

Lobophyllia

Mandarin Fireworks Clove Polyps

Kenya Tree

Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoas

Red montipora mollis

(all waiting in the Lagoon)

9c662be20e3fcfe38235bc3fd4d25c1e.jpg

:wub::wub:

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

See I was kind of right ;) I should have just said hers and hers tanks instead of his and hers :lol: 

She told me the next tank will be mine. Then i told her the next tank (wayyy in the future) will be our large tank 100g+. And of course shes says "Well you cant have that one"

• Like 6

Tank is nice and sparkly. Just in time to cloud it up again with rock! :haha:

I wasnt sure initially about the dimensions of this tank.  But its growing on me.  I particularly like the short side perspective.  I also like the temperature of the lights.  I have always prefered my lights whiter than most reefers.

20170510_092135.jpg

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Are you gonna keep the stock lights?

Yeah, I got this kit to be as minimally upgrade minded as possible.  This isnt going to be especially coral heavy and I figure it can also serve a good experiment for others as a "what can stock lights keep".  I have a monti and digi I am going to put in at the top, the LPS will probablu be mid level with the softies and zoas wherever I feel like it.   I hope the SPS do well, if not, the mollis was $10 and the digi is going to be a frag off the digi in the lagoon.  so no foul really.  Coral investment so far on the mantis tank is only about $30.  If this assortment does well, then I will probably add more since I like zoas and our lfs has a $5 zoa frag tank and we decided no zoas for the lagoon so they can go here. :)

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Yeah, I got this kit to be as minimally upgrade minded as possible. 

Nice plan!! I've gone back and forth so many times on wanting another tank. Then it seemed everyone came out with a mantis tank and I'm like DO WANT!! Didn't realize this little 5 gallon was out there, and if the stock lights are decent, that makes the price within range of what I would spend on a 5 gallon!! 

Take lots of pics, I'll be eyeing this closely!! 

• Like 3
Just now, kimberbee said:

Nice plan!! I've gone back and forth so many times on wanting another tank. Then it seemed everyone came out with a mantis tank and I'm like DO WANT!! Didn't realize this little 5 gallon was out there, and if the stock lights are decent, that makes the price within range of what I would spend on a 5 gallon!! 

Take lots of pics, I'll be eyeing this closely!! 

It was funny really.  I feel like I thought "mantis tank" and  BOOM @jedimasterben posts his mantis is being delivered and @pgrVII posts he is getting one for his.  Its like if you spend enough time on here we start reading each other's minds... :blink:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

It was funny really.  I feel like I thought "mantis tank" and  BOOM @jedimasterben posts his mantis is being delivered and @pgrVII posts he is getting one for his.  Its like if you spend enough time on here we start reading each other's minds... :blink:

Must be something in the water. :lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Must be something in the water. :lol:

With mantis shrimp, I'm pretty sure there is only one thing in the water... DEATH!

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, skoechle said:

With mantis shrimp, I'm pretty sure there is only one thing in the water... DEATH!

:lol: Death and snail parts!

• Like 1