Top Shelf Aquatics

[The Official End and Beginning] The Creature Feature- EVO 5 Mantis Tank

lkoechle

34583833095_e4aaca03a5.jpg

Live rock!  More to come in a couple weeks.  This is mainly for the cycle.

33773574043_146ab497e5.jpg

Red Porcelain Crab.  Going to try to catch it and move it to the contest tank so she doesn't get eaten. :scarry:

34421919192_714cb1e1eb.jpg

Same with this Nass.

33740780454_dce75b7685.jpg

Something inside the coral skeleton... maybe new coral? With a limpet.

33773587693_7d5fd9a98b.jpg

34197605890_cd88024667.jpg

• Like 12

So this tank is going to be a pico predator tank apparently.  lol  These snails are awesome and pretty and I dont have it in me to "dispose" of them.  So they will live with the mantis.  I am pretty sure the mantis will be too small to do damage to them and the snails will be more interested in the feeder snails and mysis than the mantis.  So i think they will be good tankmates. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I thought olive snails were good? I think I may have paid to buy one. :huh:

It seems to be up in the air.  I couldnt get concrete info one way or the other. some eat nass snails and others leave them alone but the internet can't seem to agree on if they're too predatory for a reef. lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Look at that gutsy little white hermit! :lol:

Those dudes are crazy.  They are like on a sugar high all the time and run around like nuts.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Those dudes are crazy.  They are like on a sugar high all the time and run around like nuts.

Haha I bet they are hilarious!  And they were just hitchhikers?  Wonder how big they get?  They're pretty neat looking even if they are spazzoids lol.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I bet they are hilarious!  And they were just hitchhikers?  Wonder how big they get?  They're pretty neat looking even if they are spazzoids lol.

yeah sand hitchhikers.  from my research they're full grown.  tiny little dudes with big attitude.  They are always fighting each other for no reason. lol

22 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

yeah sand hitchhikers.  from my research they're full grown.  tiny little dudes with big attitude.  They are always fighting each other for no reason. lol

Oh wow, that's awesome!  They about the size of dwarf ceriths?  I'd totally set up a pico just for something like that.  It'd be like a baby hermit Battledome! :lol:

2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I need dis. 

• Like 3

New addition freshly removed from the contest tank. There is still another gorilla crab inside one of the rocks that is being stubborn about being captured.

20170514_200639.jpg

• Like 6

This tank is getting wetter.  Ordered the inTank media basket from Marine Depot.  So thats exciting! Yay!  The Evo comes with this giant sponge thing that's meant to be your media basket too.  That's dumb.  The hole in the back wall is still there so I don't know, I might super glue something there later to plug it up. but I'll see how the flow goes first.  

• Like 3

I've been getting .05 nitrites and 10 nitrates for the last two days.  I am pretty sure its because of the giant ass sponge fluval gives you for your media basket. Like the sponge IS the media basket.  Which is retarded.  I am going to do a 50% water change either today or tomorrow to bring the levels down and call it good for animal arrivals on Friday.

I have an inTank media basket coming whenever Stevie decides to ship it... And I expect the nitrites to be gone after that.  I am 90% sure its because of the damn sponge since the contest tank is zerod on nitrites.  The only difference between the two at this stage is their filtration.

I am also going to be siliconing some BRS netting over the hole in the EVO 5 lid to keep the mantis in.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I've been getting .05 nitrites and 10 nitrates for the last two days.  I am pretty sure its because of the giant ass sponge fluval gives you for your media basket. Like the sponge IS the media basket.  Which is retarded.  I am going to do a 50% water change either today or tomorrow to bring the levels down and call it good for animal arrivals on Friday.

I have an inTank media basket coming whenever Stevie decides to ship it... And I expect the nitrites to be gone after that.  I am 90% sure its because of the damn sponge since the contest tank is zerod on nitrites.  The only difference between the two at this stage is their filtration.

I am also going to be siliconing some BRS netting over the hole in the EVO 5 lid to keep the mantis in.

What, you don't want him coming after the betta for a snack? :lol:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

What, you don't want him coming after the betta for a snack? :lol:

My betta might be able to take him.  Mizuchi is pretty mellow, but he dont take shit from anybody. lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

My betta might be able to take him.  Mizuchi is pretty mellow, but he dont take shit from anybody. lol

:lol:

Bettas can be pretty hardcore when they want to be!

My husband said my sweet boy Bojangles passed during the night.  He was about 2.5 years old and came from a Walmart cup!  He used to dance and wiggle to say hello anytime you came near his tank, and was very small for a betta.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

My husband said my sweet boy Bojangles passed during the night.  He was about 2.5 years old and came from a Walmart cup!  He used to dance and wiggle to say hello anytime you came near his tank, and was very small for a betta.

Aw sorry about Bojangles. :flower:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Aw sorry about Bojangles. :flower:

Thanks!  He was a goofy little dude.  Loved his wiggly little self lol.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:

Bettas can be pretty hardcore when they want to be!

Awww I am sorry :(

• Like 1