Top Shelf Aquatics

Anemone sick?

Sammaredsox

Sammaredsox

Hey all,  I have had this anemone for a little while and all was well until this morning.  I got up and it looked like this.  Any ideas?  No new additions to the tank. It has digested before and I know what that looks like.  Just not sure about this look.  Tank parameters salinity 1.026, zero nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.  Calcium 360, KH 161.1 and zero phosphates.

IMG_1434.JPG

reefhound

what are you measuring salinity with? for starters, it's way too high. and if you are using a cheap hydrometer, it could be much higher

55 minutes ago, reefhound said:

lower the salinity to 1.023 right away.. take 1/2 hour to get it there.

go slow

He said 1.OH26 not 1.26. 

Not high, just fine. 

ry05coupe

How old is your tank? Stability is key with these guys and you can have parameters swinging without much indication from your hardier fish and corals. Anemones can be very sensitive when they want to be. It does look like it isn't doing great. Keep a close eye on it and if it continues to deteriorate, pull it from the tank. 

Nixperience

1.026 is fine. However, that anemone doesn't look fine. Keep your eye on it. Be prepared. 

Sammaredsox

Salinity is 1.026 with a refractometer.  Tank is about 8 months old and was started with live rock and water from another established tank. He was perfect yesterday when I fed some phytoplankton.  Not sure what is up with him.  Will keep an eye on him.

CronicReefer

Do you feed any meaty foods? Anemones require small bits of fish to stay healthy. They can not get enough nutrients just from photosynthesis. Phytoplankton does nothing for anemones. Your anemone looks extremely malnourished.

Sammaredsox

Feed him mysis shrimp and pieces of silversides as well.  Phytoplankton was the last thing (food) I put in the tank though.

22 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Another 1.026 reefer here, @reefhound this is a common reef tank level, I believe the ocean is 1.026/27 on average.

I won't disagree at all..

i'm just a little thrown off by what salinity your tanks run at. I've always thought that this was extremely high, but I guess right now I've got to wonder why mine is so low

Simulated Fish

1.023 is what people run fish only systems at, nothing wrong with it. :)

39 minutes ago, reefhound said:

i'm just a little thrown off by what salinity your tanks run at. I've always thought that this was extremely high, but I guess right now I've got to wonder why mine is so low

1 hour ago, reefhound said:

Needs more salt ;) 

1.023 - fish only tank

Reef tank 1.025 or 1.026

It looks malnourished

It needs food

How stable ar your parameters?

Sammaredsox
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

1.023 - fish only tank

Reef tank 1.025 or 1.026

It looks malnourished

It needs food

How stable ar your parameters?

Everything is stable.  Since it started looking like this, I am testing every day.  Nothing is changing.  Gave him some chopped up krill yesterday and he is looking a little better.  I feed him 2-3 times a week so not sure.  Maybe he is just being finicky.  We will see

Nixperience
9 minutes ago, Sammaredsox said:

Everything is stable.  Since it started looking like this, I am testing every day.  Nothing is changing.  Gave him some chopped up krill yesterday and he is looking a little better.  I feed him 2-3 times a week so not sure.  Maybe he is just being finicky.  We will see

Maybe he's getting ready to drop a big deuce. 

Sammaredsox
1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

Maybe he's getting ready to drop a big deuce. 

This is what I am hoping for!

Nixperience
3 minutes ago, Sammaredsox said:

This is what I am hoping for!

I bet when you first started reefing, you never thought you would be hoping for an anemone to drop a deuce. 

Sammaredsox
2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

I bet when you first started reefing, you never thought you would be hoping for an anemone to drop a deuce. 

Lol, nope I didn't but I really like the quirky nature of anemone.  They are an interesting creature!

Archived