SaltCritters.com

Acclimating Cleaner Shrimp?

TheBig053

TheBig053

I picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp at the LFS today and have been drip acclimating for the past two hours. I have removed approximately 48 oz (4 solo cups) of water from the bag and replaced with tank water during the drip. I just tested the salinity and pH of the water in the bag and my tank water and it was the same. Is it safe to add the shrimp to my tank at this point?  

I only ask because some of the research I did online said drip acclimating a cleaner shrimp could take three hours.  Just want to be sure before I add it to the tank. Thanks!

I actually pour half the bag of water and shrimp into a container and drip acclimate for 30mins, then add them

* i don't dump the water into my tank, i just let the shrimp climb onto my hand and put it into my tank

SaltyBuddha
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I actually pour half the bag of water and shrimp into a container and drip acclimate for 30mins, then add them

* i don't dump the water into my tank, i just let the shrimp climb onto my hand and put it into my tank

Acclimation and bonding at the same time. I like it

TheBig053

Thanks everyone.  Just wanted to be sure since I read some stories on other forums about folks not acclimating the shrimp long enough and it dropping dead within a few minutes.  Anyways, introduced him after about 2.5 hours drip acclimating and he was still alive this morning.  Great success!

Additionally, the solo cup has become a great tool during all sorts of routine tank maintenance.  A vessel for RODI for manual top off, transporting filthy filter floss from tank to trash can, removing smaller amounts of water from tank/bag during acclimation, vessel for checking to make sure media bags have been rinsed thoroughly.  Dare I say almost as useful as the turkey baster?  Hah.

kimberbee
29 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Dare I say almost as useful as the turkey baster?  Hah.

I keep a sleeve of solo cups with all of my tank stuff. Glad your shrimpy is doing well after acclimating! 

TheBig053
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I keep a sleeve of solo cups with all of my tank stuff. Glad your shrimpy is doing well after acclimating! 

Perhaps the solo cup deserves a thread on the Equipment board? Hah.

SaltyBuddha

My shrimp is up and moving this morning as well :lol: I did the Turkey baster method instead of drip for 2 hours. Very time consuming but I can't drip because I don't trust my cat at all

TheBig053
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Trust a cat with hose, never!:lol:

I'll see your cat and raise you one inquisitive toddler!

TheBig053
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have 5 large plastic (reusable) cups. No waste.

Fair enough.  I do reuse the same cup for a few weeks, but it's not zero footprint on the environment. 

kimberbee
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have 5 large plastic (reusable) cups. No waste.

I reuse my solo cups as well. I've had the same sleeve of cups ready and waiting for 3 years. I only swap out cups when I leave one sitting overnight with old filter floss. Doesn't happen often, but I'm not cleaning that mess out... 

Archived