ReefCleaners.org

Coral Cousins 14 Gallon Peninsula

coralcousins

coralcousins

IMG_1829.thumb.JPG.5fc590be4e71cf7b4796b9b23d815592.JPGThis Xenia is different than the other one we have.

IMG_1832.thumb.JPG.d4b32e8670a33964024edd0cc9a00393.JPGToadstool 

IMG_1845.thumb.JPG.4fb93dde2a8c8a036a58b83d30ddcc45.JPGFavia IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.2d6d6e0adcc773a7a37e03c5f3812fb8.JPG And this mushroom looks great under blues.

All these frags are smaller or about the size of a half dollar. The cousins and I were very close to buying a colony/grown coral but we decided to save the money for something we will be added right before the end of the contest. 

• Like 5
coralcousins

As for the rest of corals everything is doing great besides the SPS. I live in a old house with no A/C. These past two weeks have been pretty hot here in California and my room has been a oven. The birdnest has began to bleach and the arcopora has lost some color as well. It's sad because they were growing well. The branching montipora has kept it's color but polyp extension is not what it use to be.  

1 minute ago, coralcousins said:

As for the rest of corals everything is doing great besides the SPS. I live in a old house with no A/C. These past two weeks have been pretty hot here in California and my room has been a oven. The birdnest has began to bleach and the arcopora has lost some color as well. It's sad because they were growing well. The branching montipora has kept it's color but polyp extension is not what it use to be.  

Can you put a fan over the tank?  Evap will go up but it might help temps.

• Like 1
coralcousins
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Can you put a fan over the tank?  Evap will go up but it might help temps.

Yes I've had my portable fan running over it for the past week. It has helped a bit but temps are still around 80-83.

1 hour ago, coralcousins said:

Yes I've had my portable fan running over it for the past week. It has helped a bit but temps are still around 80-83.

I think your issue is that the small tank just heats up.

When I had my 40 breeder in my garage as a temporary tank it was summer and the garage would get to be 100 inside sometimes. I just had a small fan on top of the tank and temps would never climb over 80 degrees.

Try the frozen water bottle.......it works really well. Also keep the fan on it and hopefully you can keep things stable.

• Like 4

what about a window ac unit?  We had one in our house in denver since most of the old houses (ours included) didnt have ac.  A super nice one like ours was $400 so a cheap one I would imagine would be around $100.

• Like 1
coralcousins
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

freeze some small water bottles and rotate them into the tank during the really hot hours

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Try the frozen water bottle.......it works really well. Also keep the fan on it and hopefully you can keep things stable.

Ive tried this method as well. It's a pain keeping the salinity stable while adjusting the water level when added and removing the water bottles + the evaporation.  It does help though. Currently looking at portable A/C units. 

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

what about a window ac unit?  We had one in our house in denver since most of the old houses (ours included) didnt have ac.  A super nice one like ours was $400 so a cheap one I would imagine would be around $100.

A single-room ac unit can definitely be had for around $100.  My old house was cooled entirely with one of those lol.

Edit: in the South, anyway...

• Like 2
coralcousins
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

My window doesn't support those unless they have made new ones that fit my window style. I'm looking at those A/C units that you can roll into room lol. They are expensive but at least I don't have to modify my window. 

• Like 1
coralcousins

New addition alert! The cousins added four (4th of July) Sexy shrimp and a maxi mini carpet anemone (firework colors) for them to hang out in.  Will be posting my FTS update today or tomorrow. 

IMG_2940 2.JPG

• Like 6
coralcousins

Was checking out the local store and found this candy cane frag tucked under another type of LPS, so the other head has some battle wounds. Hopefully it recovers nicely.

IMG_2962.JPG

• Like 3
coralcousins
11 minutes ago, Reid_bry said:

Have you decided what to do about temps? 

Added another small portable fan. During hot days the temp is around 79 with two portable fans. Evaporation is killer though, have to add rodi water 3-4 times a day.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

Added another small portable fan. During hot days the temp is around 79 with two portable fans. Evaporation is killer though, have to add rodi water 3-4 times a day.

It is super bad right!? I put my fan on a 15 min on and off cycle while the temps arent as high to help with this but I am starting to think i am just going to have to buy an ato :( your tank looks great though!

coralcousins
13 hours ago, Reid_bry said:

I am starting to think i am just going to have to buy an ato :( your tank looks great though!

Same here. Which ato where you looking at ?  

Thanks !