Cultivated Reef

ReefCleaner's Sort of Annual Ugly Tank Contest

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

Yes. I will get all the entries together tonight. Just handling some shipments and doing inventory at the moment. 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:55 AM, stellablue said:

Good lord. I can't believe I'm even posting this up. Here goes:

last July, I decided I wanted to upgrade my 12 long macro tank to a 55. Got the 55 at the $1 per gallon sale at petco and an aquaclear filter, heater, some rocks and boom. Tank! 

Well, I ordered some macro from a guy on Facebook. He sent me cold pacific macros that didn't do well. Soon my tank was overrun with hair algae, bubble algae and cyano like you wouldn't believe. I had two fish in there: a bi-color Blenny and free Willy, the hitchhiker goby. I then added a yellow watchman, tiger pistol and a flasher wrasse. Well, the tiger pistol killed his goby and the flasher. I got frustrated. I kept it running, but it was a cyano and hair algae forest with bubble algae for substrate. Four months ago, I decided it was coming down when I set up the reefer macro tank. So I half emptied it. Took the ac70 offline and moved the powerhead down and heater down until I could get to empty the rest. 

Guess what?? Four months later, it's still running in our living room half filled. I took the lights off two months ago. Oh, prior to half emptying it, I hadn't seen the two fish for months. Yesterday I spied free Willy and today I spotted the Blenny! 

Here it is as of this morning. Don't judge :lol: 

FTS and some close ups. 

While this will probably win the contest, it's just kind of sad to me. You neglect those animals. I can understand perhaps some hermits and macroalgae or coral neglected, but two fish in there ? That's lame... 

You didn't have a bad smell in your living room either?

Sorry about the judgement....

23 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Algae doesn't hurt fish. 

No filtration? That also means things like contaminants can fall into the tank and not get filtered out or go through carbon. Salinity obviously goes crazy, temperature, etc. I seriously doubt that tank is a healthy place for fish.  

21 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

No filtration? That also means things like contaminants can fall into the tank and not get filtered out or go through carbon. Salinity obviously goes crazy, temperature, etc. I seriously doubt that tank is a healthy place for fish.  

My tank runs with only heat and a powerhead so what's the problem?

• Like 1
Alexraptor
1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

A lot of people run successful and healthy reef systems without filtration. And far from everyone who has filtration even use carbon.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

There was filtration - plenty of live rock and macro alge- and the fish were getting fed, even though I didn't see them. I also had plenty of feeder shrimp in the tank that were also fed. There was plenty of oxygenation and water was topped off daily - I also had a carbon bag in there, albeit it wasn't changed frequently. salinity and temp were stable. The tank did not smell at all and functioned well as a holding tank. The only part that was out of control was the algae. Did it look pretty? No. It looked horrible. But I do not neglect my fish, snails or inverts. The algae was bad for sure but on the off chance the fish were hiding, I did feed it. Maybe you should take a moment to ask questions before you make assumptions and accusations. 

• Like 4