Pod Your Reef

ReefCleaner's Sort of Annual Ugly Tank Contest

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

Hair algae covering your mag float? No wonder you can't find it! Please post pics!

The Contest:

It is time yet again to show us what some neglect and overfeeding can do. The 7th Ugly Tank Contest is open to contestants. If your tank is the ugliest, we will send you a free clean up crew to take care of it.

The Rules:

Submissions must have a full tank shot (FTS). Only that picture will count towards the contest, but other supporting close up photos are appreciated.

You can reply to this thread to submit the photo.

Pictures must be submitted by May 30th.

We will be selecting the worst 7 tanks from those submitted. Each of these tanks will receive a $10 gift certificate.

Each of the finalists will then vote for the tank they think is the worst, but are not allowed to vote for their own tank, like in that TV show. 

Winner gets a free custom clean up crew shipped to clean the tank, or a refund for any custom crew that was purchased during the tank contest time. 

Plus! Each entrant gets a $5 credit towards the purchase of live items. You will have to send me an email through our contact form on the website. Just something simple will work, like "Hey John, I posted a photo in the ugly tank contest, I want my code to be "jmaloney" " Just make sure to put the code in quotes or on a separate line.

Be prepared for some good humored kidding, but please don't be embarrassed. If algae didn't happen I would be out of a job.

To Enter:

Simply post a picture here. We will combine with other pictures from the other clubs we sponsor. 

Major Updates will be posted on this page, so if you are a contestant you will want to subscribe to it. 

• Like 8
Simulated Fish
34 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Always hardest to get the first person to post, then it is a lot of ugly that comes at you fast. 

It's hard and people don't want to get called out! Wish I had a pic of my 8g before I broke it down last month I killed the lights and just let all the algae die off for awhile.... easier then scraping it! Since it was more a QT for my main tank it did not get any love that last month i knew it was coming down. I just got a new desk for work and I am setting up the tank again, I'm gonna need some rock here soon! ;)

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Heck yeah! Post algae and not be judged! 

Here is my Jebao PP4 with a hair algae Afro! 

E42119F9-39B2-4A06-8BFF-25C5333D9D45_zps

2 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

Always hardest to get the first person to post, then it is a lot of ugly that comes at you fast. 

I gotchu! Florida for the win! Will I meet you at ReefAPalooza NY? 

• Like 6

My tank is clear now, but here is some nasty to hopefully drag some of you out of the shadows 

IMG_20170505_124940_663.jpg.b68ea0afb1bff21e2849d42880a54b65.jpg

20170213_161820.thumb.jpg.8dc6893f5afc7c34a4e544801ffcc18f.jpg

20170502_210737.thumb.png.96ce9dc9e69f1eeda3a09f4f6f9962b6.png

The Conch i got from John photobombing in this recent pic

20170502_202346.thumb.jpg.553acca3310ee4c2e9bd948f57defd89.jpg

• Like 6
ReefWeeds

Good lord. I can't believe I'm even posting this up. Here goes:

last July, I decided I wanted to upgrade my 12 long macro tank to a 55. Got the 55 at the $1 per gallon sale at petco and an aquaclear filter, heater, some rocks and boom. Tank! 

Well, I ordered some macro from a guy on Facebook. He sent me cold pacific macros that didn't do well. Soon my tank was overrun with hair algae, bubble algae and cyano like you wouldn't believe. I had two fish in there: a bi-color Blenny and free Willy, the hitchhiker goby. I then added a yellow watchman, tiger pistol and a flasher wrasse. Well, the tiger pistol killed his goby and the flasher. I got frustrated. I kept it running, but it was a cyano and hair algae forest with bubble algae for substrate. Four months ago, I decided it was coming down when I set up the reefer macro tank. So I half emptied it. Took the ac70 offline and moved the powerhead down and heater down until I could get to empty the rest. 

Guess what?? Four months later, it's still running in our living room half filled. I took the lights off two months ago. Oh, prior to half emptying it, I hadn't seen the two fish for months. Yesterday I spied free Willy and today I spotted the Blenny! 

Here it is as of this morning. Don't judge :lol: 

FTS and some close ups. 

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

• Like 13
ReefWeeds

El jeffe absolutely LOVES this tank :lol: 

Just now, johnmaloney said:

Only current tanks count in the contests. 

This one is still running. I don't know for how long though :blush: 

johnmaloney
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Heck yeah! Post algae and not be judged! 

Here is my Jebao PP4 with a hair algae Afro! 

E42119F9-39B2-4A06-8BFF-25C5333D9D45_zps

I gotchu! Florida for the win! Will I meet you at ReefAPalooza NY? 

I won't be able to attend. 

Coral_chef
6 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Good lord. I can't believe I'm even posting this up. Here goes:

last July, I decided I wanted to upgrade my 12 long macro tank to a 55. Got the 55 at the $1 per gallon sale at petco and an aquaclear filter, heater, some rocks and boom. Tank! 

Well, I ordered some macro from a guy on Facebook. He sent me cold pacific macros that didn't do well. Soon my tank was overrun with hair algae, bubble algae and cyano like you wouldn't believe. I had two fish in there: a bi-color Blenny and free Willy, the hitchhiker goby. I then added a yellow watchman, tiger pistol and a flasher wrasse. Well, the tiger pistol killed his goby and the flasher. I got frustrated. I kept it running, but it was a cyano and hair algae forest with bubble algae for substrate. Four months ago, I decided it was coming down when I set up the reefer macro tank. So I half emptied it. Took the ac70 offline and moved the powerhead down and heater down until I could get to empty the rest. 

Guess what?? Four months later, it's still running in our living room half filled. I took the lights off two months ago. Oh, prior to half emptying it, I hadn't seen the two fish for months. Yesterday I spied free Willy and today I spotted the Blenny! 

Here it is as of this morning. Don't judge :lol: 

FTS and some close ups. 

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

This makes me feel so much better in the contest

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Only current tanks count in the contests. 

DAMN :P:D :lol: :angry:

Does Aiptasia count?

• Like 1
jedimasterben
11 minutes ago, Alexraptor said:

Is this contest only open to U.S. residents?

Can't ship livestock internationally, so I would assume you couldn't win, but it's always nice to see that other people have algae issues too :D

This is my Hundred Days of Mantis tank before I took all the rocks out, scrubbed the bajeezus out of them with a brush, and did a 100% water change.

33605263223_c86235e35b_h.jpg

Sexy, itn't it? :D

• Like 6
Mariaface
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

Can't ship livestock internationally, so I would assume you couldn't win, but it's always nice to see that other people have algae issues too :D

This is my Hundred Days of Mantis tank before I took all the rocks out, scrubbed the bajeezus out of them with a brush, and did a 100% water change.

Not gonna lie, I'm loving the oolitic sand! 

• Like 1
johnmaloney
1 hour ago, Alexraptor said:

Is this contest only open to U.S. residents?

In any case here is my eternal shame: 

LassieMess1.thumb.jpg.6885b6ccfb450e15a6e358e39c8ae96f.jpg

The prize is, but we appreciate that horrible entry. :)

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

No!!!! Not you too Ben? ? 

1 hour ago, Astinus said:

DAMN :P:D :lol: :angry:

Does Aiptasia count?

Let's see it.  

• Like 3
WV Reefer

I give you Aiptasia Island in The Home of The Creep:

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.d786e5ab6ea3768553fc35bed4e736e3.JPGIMG_0668.thumb.JPG.1952df924a959a90ff4dae07776c8362.JPG

......not sure if it counts since it is a pest tank and is supposed to be ugly.  

• Like 4
johnmaloney
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I give you Aiptasia Island in The Home of The Creep:

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.d786e5ab6ea3768553fc35bed4e736e3.JPGIMG_0668.thumb.JPG.1952df924a959a90ff4dae07776c8362.JPG

......not sure if it counts since it is a pest tank and is supposed to be ugly.  

It is pretty ugly. :)

That aiptasia is a big'un. 

• Like 3