Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval EVO 13.5G Chamber mod?

hipertec

I never understood why Fluval put the PS2 skimmer in chamber 1 and the filters in chamber 2. Im getting alot of debris and im sure nitrate buildup using the stock block sponge in chamber 2.

Has anyone tried to move the PS2 skimmer in chamber 2, and build a media basket with filter floss in chamber 1?  It looks like chamber 2 skimmer placement just needs to be lifted 2" from the base to be even to the original height.

I would imagine that it would be better method with Filter Floss in Chamber 1, PS2 Skimmer in Chamber 2, and return heater pump in Chamber 3. Has anyone tried this setup on a evo 13.5g Tank?

8 minutes ago, hipertec said:

I never understood why Fluval put the PS2 skimmer in chamber 1 and the filters in chamber 2. Im getting alot of debris and im sure nitrate buildup using the stock block sponge in chamber 2.

Has anyone tried to move the PS2 skimmer in chamber 2, and build a media basket with filter floss in chamber 1?  It looks like chamber 2 skimmer placement just needs to be lifted 2" from the base to be even to the original height.

I would imagine that it would be better method with Filter Floss in Chamber 1, PS2 Skimmer in Chamber 2, and return heater pump in Chamber 3. Has anyone tried this setup on a evo 13.5g Tank?

I have this tank and I opted out of the skimmer cuz I read so many bad reviews on it. I made a media basket and its in chamber 2. Heater in chamber 3. Chamber 1 is empty. I usually use that chamber when I get new corals and temp acclimate it in that chamber or if my tank runs a lil hot I'll use that chamber to put ice packs

I'm actually happy with the ps2 skimmer. It works quite well and quiet. The skimmer does need cleaning every few weeks tho.

Wouldn't you want the media basket in the first chamber to collect all the debris instead of populating on the first chamber? 

Has any tried this method and put the skimmer in chamber 2? Thoughts on the Pro and cons? 

37 minutes ago, hipertec said:

I'm actually happy with the ps2 skimmer. It works quite well and quiet. The skimmer does need cleaning every few weeks tho.

Wouldn't you want the media basket in the first chamber to collect all the debris instead of populating on the first chamber? 

Has any tried this method and put the skimmer in chamber 2? Thoughts on the Pro and cons? 

I tried the media basket in both chambers. I really didnt see any difference.

ninjamyst

throw away everything stock with the tank except for the tank itself.  that's what i did and i love the tank.  chamber 1 is media basket with filter pad, chamber 2 is marinepure biosphere with carbon / phosguard. 

13 gallon tank, no skimmer needed.

• Like 2

OK I did the mod and put the skimmer in chamber 2. Had to create an egg crate lifter to move the skimmer a bit higher. 

Then I took an old media basket I had and it worked great. Put filter where the intake is at, and it's catching the debris right at the filter pad.

It also looks like there's alot of room under the media basic to throw some chaeto in there. Any recommendation on a cheap led to power to side of the lower chamber 1?

20170507_120031.jpg

20170507130019s.jpg

• Like 1

Just did another mod to my evo tank. 

I wanted to keep the hood but needed a fan to cool the tank. 

So I cut the hood opening and screwed on a 3fan cooler and have it connected to a temp controller. So if it goes above 80 degrees, the fan will kick on. 

What you guys think? I use the same fan setup in my 28g and it works great to cool the tank. 

14943860127691829129218.jpg

20170509_200536.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 10:14 PM, hipertec said:

So I cut the hood opening and screwed on a 3fan cooler and have it connected to a temp controller. So if it goes above 80 degrees, the fan will kick on. 

What you guys think? I use the same fan setup in my 28g and it works great to cool the tank. 

14943860127691829129218.jpg

20170509_200536.jpg

Hipertec - that is fantastic. I would like to do something similar. Could you please tell me which 3 fan cooler this is?

13 hours ago, alexz said:

Hipertec - that is fantastic. I would like to do something similar. Could you please tell me which 3 fan cooler this is?

Sure- I bought from amazon.com.  Works great and it gets over 100F during the summer.

iPettie Aquarium Cooling System Fan Chiller + AC Adapter ASIN: B00M9UV9LI

You will need to connect to a Temp Controller like:

Inkbird Aquarium Dual Stage Temperature Controller + NTC Sensor, AC 100V - AC 240V. (ITC-308S + 1.97" NTC Probe)

WILLHI WH1436A Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat Switch Sous Vide Controller NTC 10K Sensor, Improved Version

with these two combos - you have a chiller for the EVO tank!

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
On 24/02/2018 at 5:02 PM, hipertec said:

Skimmer still going strong. Is little skimmer sure does perform. Lol time to empty. 

Just wondering, how is the skimmer, is it quiet? As I am looking to get this tank but it will be in my bedroom. 

11 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Just wondering, how is the skimmer, is it quiet? As I am looking to get this tank but it will be in my bedroom. 

no issues with the noise. the tank is in my office on my desk at work. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, PshThisGuy said:

Do you have any issues with micro bubbles in the display during the break in period? 

7 hours ago, PshThisGuy said:

Do you have any issues with micro bubbles in the display during the break in period? 

Honestly can't remember since it's been a while. Currently no issues at all with micro bubbles and I have the skimmer in the 2nd chamber so closer to the return 3rd chamber. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be setting up my 13.5 fluval this evening from scratch.  I'm planning on using all the stock components as is at least through the cycling process.  I have a lot of extra dry rock rubble on hand.  What do you guys think about filling the first chamber with the rubble?  And maybe some floss?  I'm not planning on using a skimmer at the moment?

8 hours ago, GOBRAVES said:

I'm going to be setting up my 13.5 fluval this evening from scratch.  I'm planning on using all the stock components as is at least through the cycling process.  I have a lot of extra dry rock rubble on hand.  What do you guys think about filling the first chamber with the rubble?  And maybe some floss?  I'm not planning on using a skimmer at the moment?

Do not put any rubble in the filter chamber. Do not use stock sponge. You can use floss in the first chamber with some cheap mods.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:34 AM, GOBRAVES said:

when i set up my evo, the best thing i did was a very simple fix. There is a hole in the false wall. Cut up some black plastic (i used the surface skimmer that comes with the tank) and glue it over the hole. this will force all the water to go through each chamber and back out the return pump. this will force all your water though floss, media, skimmer (if you choose to go that route) etc. doesn't seem like a big deal, but made a huge impact. I'd also suggest razoring off the hexagon pattern on the glass. If you like it, then leave it, but i ran my tank without a lid and liked the rimless look much better. Good luck, its a great little tank!

39 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

when i set up my evo, the best thing i did was a very simple fix. There is a hole in the false wall. Cut up some black plastic (i used the surface skimmer that comes with the tank) and glue it over the hole. this will force all the water to go through each chamber and back out the return pump. this will force all your water though floss, media, skimmer (if you choose to go that route) etc. doesn't seem like a big deal, but made a huge impact. I'd also suggest razoring off the hexagon pattern on the glass. If you like it, then leave it, but i ran my tank without a lid and liked the rimless look much better. Good luck, its a great little tank!

Yeah I've noticed people plugging up that hole.  I plan on doing that.  At this point I'm just hoping to receive a tank that isn't busted already.  The first one came a few days ago and was shattered.  I saw another thread on here where someone had two different tanks delivered broken.  Fluval definitely cut corners with the packaging of this tank.  Anyway, just got notification that UPS dropped off the replacement tank.  Fingers crossed that the delivery guy didn't go all Ace Ventura on it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, GOBRAVES said:

Yeah I've noticed people plugging up that hole.  I plan on doing that.  At this point I'm just hoping to receive a tank that isn't busted already.  The first one came a few days ago and was shattered.  I saw another thread on here where someone had two different tanks delivered broken.  Fluval definitely cut corners with the packaging of this tank.  Anyway, just got notification that UPS dropped off the replacement tank.  Fingers crossed that the delivery guy didn't go all Ace Ventura on it.

Did your tank arrive safely?

On 9/19/2018 at 9:35 AM, sm32589g said:

Did your tank arrive safely?

Yep!  It’s been up and running about a month and a half now.  I need to post an update in my journal thread.  Water parameters are good and the rocks are all starting to color up nice.  I’m about to start looking into buying a few corals.

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, hipertec said:

Hi @hipertec Is this the 3 fan cooler you used?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9UV9LI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got it and the fan seems to move very slowly and barely moves any air.  I can't see how it actually makes a noticeable difference in the tank, unless you have a different one or I have a defective fan.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, LesPaulGtr said:

Hi @hipertec Is this the 3 fan cooler you used?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9UV9LI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got it and the fan seems to move very slowly and barely moves any air.  I can't see how it actually makes a noticeable difference in the tank, unless you have a different one or I have a defective fan.

Thanks!

Yes.. That's the correct fan. Do you have it facing the right way? 

I no longer have the hood as I upgraded to a Kessil A150W but I would see the pics above and look at the fan labels. That's the direction you want the air to be flowing.  Now it won't be moving tons of air but it will cool your tank temp well.