Innovative Marine Aquariums

Critique my aquascape please

JDSquared

JDSquared

I'm not completely decided on what I want to grow. Zoas are easy and everywhere. I love the look of monti and my son really dug on some green star polyp at the store. All three are med light and flow from what I'm reading. 

Seemed like a good start but I also want this set up to allow for more. 

Nothings glued down yet. Its not unstable either so I think only a few connections will need it.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

20170504_212900.jpg

20170504_213033.jpg

20170504_212954.jpg

Take out the two whiter rocks in the foreground below the archs. I think it will make the archs pop out. Either way you do not really need this much live rock for that size tanks. At least what I've found. 

Too much rock imo . Needs more open sand / negative space . 

Go for a more streched out flat scape, let corals make up the height over time. 

Also, a lower scape will help eliminate dead flow spots.  

4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

4 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Take out the two whiter rocks in the foreground below the archs. I think it will make the archs pop out. Either way you do not really need this much live rock for that size tanks. At least what I've found. 

Y'all are minimilists huh? I've got maybe 29 pounds in 25 gallons of water. That falls right in line with recommendations doesn't it? 

I was rearranging like you suggested and now it's a mess lol. Then I looked at the pics I posted and realized I already opened it up a little but since those pictures were posted.

3 minutes ago, JDSquared said:

Y'all are minimilists huh? I've got maybe 29 pounds in 25 gallons of water. That falls right in line with recommendations doesn't it? 

I was rearranging like you suggested and now it's a mess lol. Then I looked at the pics I posted and realized I already opened it up a little but since those pictures were posted.

I prefer the heavily stocked coral tank look, not the massive wall of rocks look.  

Just continue to play with it until YOU like what YOU see. You have to look at it everyday, we just have to look at a few pics of it from time to time. Our opinions mean shit in the grand scheme. 

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

I prefer the heavily stocked coral tank look, not the massive wall of rocks look.  

I'm trying to get some nooks and crannies in there. I'm not sure it's actually as solid as a pictures make it out to be.

I also appreciate your opinions. I solicited them and trying to incorporate them

58 minutes ago, money88 said:

Left side is too close to glass to be able to clean the glass easily

Yeah that's what made me realize the picture was already old. That piece was moved to the back supporting the arch. And a second rock was moved back.

5 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I was looking at the dead flow spots. And waiting on a second powerhead. I was thinking of setting that fairly low. As for the height there's still about 8 inches from the top of that arch to the top of the tank. Which still seems like a lot of space. Especially  looking at some of these smaller shallow tanks  that people have here.

I'm still researching the corals I want to grow and what kind of light they need.

Spending a fair amount of time picturing where they will be in the tank.

I did pick out a light finally. When that gets here and I see what kind of light it generates I may end up lowering everything

New pic. Its a little lower. One white rock moved up. The other has my bonus palys on it- maintaining until I get good leds. So I left it alone. I also like having two does of rock the way I do. Caverns in between. Maybe that's a holdout from raising African cichlids.

Coral maybe in two weeks. I will see what they need and adjust. Nothing is glued down yet.

20170513_211659.jpg

Simulated Fish

Not bad, tons of places for fish to hide and swim in and out of. They maxspect will have no problem supporting any coral type in a tank with that depth.

Nixperience

Take the rocks off the sand in the foreground and build the left side higher so you have a high and low side and lots of open sandbed. And then move the heater behind the high rocks. 

Archived