Top Shelf Aquatics

Helpppp please :)

haleschristine

Many have 2 clowns in  10g with no issue. They aren't fish that swim around a whole lot but the op has a 20g.

That light may not be enough on  20g with only 6 leds.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Many have 2 clowns in  10g with no issue. They aren't fish that swim around a whole lot but the op has a 20g.

That light may not be enough on  20g with only 6 leds.

That's what I was thinking when I read what he said.  Isn't 10g+2 clowns pretty standard? It's one I've considered before, though I've never gotten to do it (yet!).

A lot of ppl have 2 ocellaris clowns in 10g.

I have 2 in a 15g, they stick to one area.

I had 2 in a 55g, they stayed in 1 area.

I would be very concerned if it was a different species of clowns or a fish that needs a lot of swimming space

Just now, Clown79 said:

A lot of ppl have 2 ocellaris clowns in 10g.

I have 2 in a 15g, they stick to one area.

I had 2 in a 55g, they stayed in 1 area.

I would be very concerned if it was a different species of clowns or a fish that needs a lot of swimming space

True that, only occelaris and maybe percula clowns in a small tank.  But I'm not interested in the bigger ones anyway lol (well, except maybe pink skunks but I like occ. clowns better).

docshipwreck

Not sure what your budget constraints are versus your aspirations, but I researched basic duget friendly semi ok lights and settled for the current orbit for my 20L and corals seem to be doing OK. Aquamaxx lights also has pretty fair reviews/expectancy.

Theres a little more info/support and stuff out there for those brands versus some off brand that may be cheaper.

my 2 cents fwiw B)

haleschristine

Thanks for the suggestions. The light I have is temporary while I do research. 

Lighting has always been super confusing lol. 

• Like 1
docshipwreck
20 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

Thanks for the suggestions. The light I have is temporary while I do research. 

Lighting has always been super confusing lol. 

Painstaking taking into account future upgrades, versus current dimension, current and future demands and budget. i literally was ready to pull out my hair (at least what I have left haha )

haleschristine
11 minutes ago, docshipwreck said:

Painstaking taking into account future upgrades, versus current dimension, current and future demands and budget. i literally was ready to pull out my hair (at least what I have left haha )

Haha yup! That's literally what happened with me. I was like screw it and ordered that light so I could take my time researching lol. 

• Like 1
docshipwreck

I almost bought an AI Prime, not a ton more then my current marine for my 20L but was worried about the light spread. Thats an awesome light for the price!

I have  prime on my 15g which is 24" long. No shadowing at all.

Good budget lights are

Aquamaxx nemolight - i have one and can't complain. 

Coral compulsion par38 35watt

Orbits

Mars aqua

• Like 1
haleschristine

And I added a new addition yesterday. He's such an active little guy and loveeeeees brine shrimp. Which I guess is weird, since he's a shrimp too? Oh well. He's all about it lol. 

IMG_6332.PNG

• Like 2
haleschristine

Quick update:

Current stocking- 2 Astrea snails, 6 hermits (mix of red and blue legs) and 1 Skunk shrimp. Loving the shrimp at feeding, he's been hiding a bit but he comes alive for food lol. He also molted today and nearly gave me a heart attack until I realized what it was. 

Items on order-I have ordered a refractometer, calibration fluid, salifert phosphate kit and the coral compulsion par 38 lights. (Still working on figuring out a new hob filter-it's hard to order a new one when the current one seems to be working really well.)

Question-I believe my powerhead may be too much as everyday I come home and all my sand is moved into a pile leaving bare glass on the side. I've tried pointing the powerhead long ways across the tank and going towards the front. Nothing changes. I got it off Amazon and just realized its 528 gph. Thinking of getting the Hydor Koralia 240... Has anyone tried that one? Lots of good reviews online. 

2nd Question-I am thinking about doing a clownfish with a bubble tip... I've read conflicting views on the the bubble tips in a 20 gal. Any advice? Of course, I would cover my crazy powerhead. 

2 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Quick update:

Current stocking- 2 Astrea snails, 6 hermits (mix of red and blue legs) and 1 Skunk shrimp. Loving the shrimp at feeding, he's been hiding a bit but he comes alive for food lol. He also molted today and nearly gave me a heart attack until I realized what it was. 

Items on order-I have ordered a refractometer, calibration fluid, salifert phosphate kit and the coral compulsion par 38 lights. (Still working on figuring out a new hob filter-it's hard to order a new one when the current one seems to be working really well.)

Question-I believe my powerhead may be too much as everyday I come home and all my sand is moved into a pile leaving bare glass on the side. I've tried pointing the powerhead long ways across the tank and going towards the front. Nothing changes. I got it off Amazon and just realized its 528 gph. Thinking of getting the Hydor Koralia 240... Has anyone tried that one? Lots of good reviews online. 

2nd Question-I am thinking about doing a clownfish with a bubble tip... I've read conflicting views on the the bubble tips in a 20 gal. Any advice? Of course, I would cover my crazy powerhead. 

Lots of people have used Koralias for years with great success.  I'd recommend an AquaClear for the new filter, and a large-ish one will let you hide the heater in it.  Will also provide some flow. 

Wait on the bubble tip.  Anemones need very mature tanks--I've heard 6+ months recommended--and strong lighting.  Clowns don't actually need anemones.  They've been know to host leathers (like toadstools), torches and hammers, powerheads, mag-floats, and even a section of the tank.  They will survive just fine without a nem.

I've had a Hydor 425, sicce 530, and filter in my 15g with no sand movement.

Try putting the powerhead on the side glass panel on opposite side of filter. Put it 2 inches below surface, facing straight across and slightly up.

I wouldn't do a hydor 240 in a 20g. Its very weak. 

I'ved used marineland biowheels, tetra, aquaclears, Api Supercleans and now seachem tidal.

the seachem tidal 55 by far is my fav and far better than the AC. 

Sicce pump is silent, huge basket, complete flow control, surface skimmer. 

I would wait 6+ mnths for anemones. Do a lot of research on them. 

Btw, clowns don't always host anemones.

haleschristine

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely wait for the nem-just trying to get a defined plan together so I don't impulse buy. I know the clownfish don't need them and hosting isn't always guaranteed, but at risk of sounding cliche... it is so damn cute and I think long term it is a good direction and a good challenge. I plan on making a large distance move within the next year. My plan is to get the nem once the move has happened-maybe 9-12 months from now. 

Aquaclear wise-if it has room for my filter do it have extra space for the random media? 

Seachem tidal-I've been looking more into this since you mentioned it and the reviews are wonderful. Plus I'm kinda into the surface skimmer and extra room. Would this be too much filtration though in my 20 gallon? Filtration is super confusing to me. Currently its the Tetra 20 hob with the bio bag it comes with, chemi pure blue and matrix. Is there anything that needs to be added?

I am sorry for all the questions-I swear I don't want to be spoon fed info there are just so many conflicting opinions out there and no definite "right way" guides. 

I did get a black ocellaris today. Drip acclimated him and so far he's doing great.  I've added a pic below and it makes him look a lot bigger than he is. He's about maybe an inch long. 

IMG_6637.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, haleschristine said:

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely wait for the nem-just trying to get a defined plan together so I don't impulse buy. I know the clownfish don't need them and hosting isn't always guaranteed, but at risk of sounding cliche... it is so damn cute and I think long term it is a good direction and a good challenge. I plan on making a large distance move within the next year. My plan is to get the nem once the move has happened-maybe 9-12 months from now. 

Aquaclear wise-if it has room for my filter do it have extra space for the random media? 

Seachem tidal-I've been looking more into this since you mentioned it and the reviews are wonderful. Plus I'm kinda into the surface skimmer and extra room. Would this be too much filtration though in my 20 gallon? Filtration is super confusing to me. Currently its the Tetra 20 hob with the bio bag it comes with, chemi pure blue and matrix. Is there anything that needs to be added?

I am sorry for all the questions-I swear I don't want to be spoon fed info there are just so many conflicting opinions out there and no definite "right way" guides. 

I did get a black ocellaris today. Drip acclimated him and so far he's doing great.  I've added a pic below and it makes him look a lot bigger than he is. He's about maybe an inch long. 

IMG_6637.JPG

Honestly, people all run different things; part of why it's so confusing!  I'm running just carbon and filter floss and have, in the past, not even had filters at times, but after a bad tank crash a couple months ago, I won't go without at least a small HOB to run carbon in.  Depending on the size of the AquaClear you should definitely be able to fit media.  Some people make them into mini-refugiums and there are tutorials on the boards (I think el fabuloso's Legendary Sexy Pico thread has one--a great thread to read no matter what).  There are also media baskets like the ones made by In-Tank.  I'm not familiar with the Seachem filter but have heard good things about it.  Just look for a big enough one to put your heater in, if you want to do that. 

Filtration can be pretty confusing but basically, in saltwater, the live rock is your biological filtration and whatever you put in your HOB is the mechanical and chemical filtration (like my filter floss and carbon, respectively).  And having had mostly picos and not run much media, I am not the most knowledgeable about different types of media!

Your fish is absolutely beautiful!  And so tiny!

I'm running the tidal 55 on my 15g. The flow is completely controllable so you can dial it to your needs.

It has 2 controls, one for intake and one for return which is great.

The basket is huge. I fit my floss on the bottom(i save the sponge and cut floss to size), have my bag of carbon, phosguard, and purigen. Theres still tons of room. 

For filteration. Your rock is the biological filter, thats what processes the nitrogen cycle.

The filter is for mechanical and chemical filteration.

I often suggest when starting use a good carbon and filter floss. Phosguard, phosban, purigen can be added later or if needed.

Buy filter floss in bulk, i get a bag at big al's for $10 cda and i buy either seachem matrix or kent carbon. Its $20 for a container which lasts me almost a yr for 2 tanks.

haleschristine

Thanks for the direction! Like I said, filtration is confussssing and I'm reading as much as possible. You guys are a huge help. 

Everything I have read says that clowns stick to one area but this guy is all over the place. Doesn't seem like stressed swimming-maybe just because he has the whole tank pretty much to himself? He's literally exploring every nook and cranny of the tank. He didn't eat today though when I fed him frozen brine shrimp... will keep trying new things. I am assuming this is because he's getting used to his new setup (only been home for a day) because water is good and everyone else came out of hiding for food.  Though since he has been added the shrimp has been a lot more active and out of hiding, assuming he has started to find his favorite rock/spot. It is so interesting to learn their weird little quirks and personalities. Love it. For instance, one of my snails insists on sitting on top of my heater. Comes down every now and again but always goes back. 

Question-I have not found anything come out of my live rock. I have noticed most people have random bugs and such. But the only hitchhiker I have seen is a limpet on one of my snails I bought. Hoping that's not a bad sign...

When my clown was first added and young, she swam all over the place. Once she mated and hosted my frogspawn, she rarely leaves the area and darts back quickly.

It may not eat when first added.

Mine love the tiny pellet food, don't like flake, love brine and mysis.

Shrimp are fun.

They do all have their ways. 

As for rocks.

If it was dry rock, it will take time for the different life to develop. If liverock it all depends. It takes time.

haleschristine

She still hasn't eaten. I'm starting to get worried. But her swimming has started to contain to an area, she stays up top but not to the surface and goes all over up there. Which i guess will be good when I get my goby that stays on the bottom. But again I'm worried about the not eating.. I've been using droppers to feed her directly in her area, but she's not going for it... 

And I bought cured live rock. I've seen some dead things fall out of it but nothing live. Which I guess is good, no aipstasia or bristle worms so far ??