Cultivated Reef

Gsp not coming out

Jrkrouse13

Is it cloudy all day or just for a while after the lights first come on? My tank goes cloudy usually in the AM just after the lights come on and then the clouding goes away after a few hours.

Jrkrouse13

Anyone have any idea why my GSP is still barely coming out with the readings I am getting suggesting that my water is in line with optimal or close to optimal levels? I am still getting brownish build up on my glass but the hair algae seems to be recinding. 

Simulated Fish
8 minutes ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

Anyone have any idea why my GSP is still barely coming out with the readings I am getting suggesting that my water is in line with optimal or close to optimal levels? I am still getting brownish build up on my glass but the hair algae seems to be recinding. 

Did you lightly scrub it with a soft toothbrush? GSP will close up and shed every now again for no reason. Happens 1 or 2 times a year in my tanks. I found bushing them helps them open faster.

Also what is your light like? My GSP hates low flow and low light, only opens high in the tank and with a power head right on it.

Edited by Hippieheadshot
  • Like 1
Jrkrouse13

My light is a current marine orbit led. The frag is off to the left of my tank just out of direct downward flow from the filter. 

I did scrub it a few days ago and it came out a bit but less than 25% probably. 

gulfsurfer101

The cloudiness could be a possible bacterial bloom. However gsp can go into hiding for a very very long time. I had a 40br many years ago full of sps along with some lps in there. I had a basketball size chunk of gspin there as well. I went on vacation for a week and came back to my sump light in my tank and all my fish and coral dead. It was devastating. I ended up doing a 100% water change and basically started the tank over from scratch. Well it took several months for the tank to balance out but I never gave up on it. I refrained from adding any coral the entire time. About two and a half months later I noticed a single weak little green polyp sticking out that rock. The following day a few more, then finally within a weeks time the entire rock was in its full glory. 

• Like 2
Simulated Fish
1 hour ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

My light is a current marine orbit led. The frag is off to the left of my tank just out of direct downward flow from the filter. 

I did scrub it a few days ago and it came out a bit but less than 25% probably. 

Nothing crazy there, I'd give it time and keep up on cleaning of and algae or debris. As long as it isn't losing color in the mat I would not be worried. Think my GSP went about 3 weeks closed at one point.

If the cloudiness is whitish could be bacterial, if its a greenish tinge, algae.

Do you use carbon because that clears up water. Purigen also is a nice product.

I prefer regular carbon to chemipure as i like changing it often.

Gsp definitely likes light and flow. They can often close up for no known cause.

The brown dusting algae looks like diatoms.

gulfsurfer101
18 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

@gulfsurfer101 man that is an aweful loss, lest something made it through. Just goes to show GSP will never die!

Unfortunately it was. That's the reef game though! Thought abbot tearing it all down several times in the following weeks. Never actually could go dry though. 

To the op, if the purple mat is still attached to the rock your ok. If it is easily blown off and evaporates like smoke then congratulations your now part of the elite few that has figured out how to effectively kill gsp. Welcome to the club! 

• Like 3
Jrkrouse13

Update on this ongoing issue. Tank water still looks cloudy. Brown diatoms still reappear daily. I am not sure what to do at this point as all my parameters continuously test the same within slight varying degrees. I am not sure if switching to rodi water will work or getting rid of my hob filter for a skimmer will be better. If anyone has an opinion please feel free.

also moved my gsp about 6 inches to the right under the hob filter flow to hopefully get some higher flow hitting it. 

1 hour ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

Update on this ongoing issue. Tank water still looks cloudy. Brown diatoms still reappear daily. I am not sure what to do at this point as all my parameters continuously test the same within slight varying degrees. I am not sure if switching to rodi water will work or getting rid of my hob filter for a skimmer will be better. If anyone has an opinion please feel free.

also moved my gsp about 6 inches to the right under the hob filter flow to hopefully get some higher flow hitting it. 

So, If you're not currently using rodi, what is your water source? I skimmed through but I couldn't find it. 

• Like 2
Simulated Fish
29 minutes ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

I am using filtered water through my system at my house

When you say filtered? How so? Like a Brita water filter?

If its not RO/DI or distilled water, thats an issue for not only nutrients but various chemicals and minerals which can't be removed.

That could be the issue to your algae and cloudiness.

Its not the hob. Many nano tanks are run skimmerless with only hob and some with nothing.

Water source is 1 of the most important aspects to a healthy reef.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If its not RO/DI or distilled water, thats an issue for not only nutrients but various chemicals and minerals which can't be removed.

That could be the issue to your algae and cloudiness.

Its not the hob. Many nano tanks are run skimmerless with only hob and some with nothing.

Water source is 1 of the most important aspects to a healthy reef.

+1

If GSP ispissed and you've been using anything other than water @Clown79 mentioned good thing to try is a %100 water change with either confirmed pure rodi or distilled. Using the same salt mix you've been using and matching temp and salinity. 

• Like 2
gulfsurfer101

Filtered water is most likely going to be your culprit here. There are too many contaminants such as nutrient phosphates, metals, and worst of all most likely silicates. There in lies your problem.

• Like 2
Jrkrouse13

I will be buying some ro water and doing a water change to see how that affects the tank. I will post results as soon as I get a chance to confirm if this is the issue

• Like 2

I agree that the water is likely the culprit.  RO/DI or distilled only for reefs!  Did you ever take the sponge out of the filter?  Those can become nutrient traps and contribute to algae issues as well.

• Like 2
Jrkrouse13

The trouble is on going. I recently did a full change with the rodi water and this evening found the majority of my snails are now dead. 

41 minutes ago, Jrkrouse13 said:

The trouble is on going. I recently did a full change with the rodi water and this evening found the majority of my snails are now dead. 

After doing a water change with saltwater made with RO/DI?  Where is the water from?

• Like 1