Top Shelf Aquatics

Gsp not coming out

Jrkrouse13

Jrkrouse13

Tank has been set up for about two months now. Within the last week my gsp has stopped coming out completely save a few polyps here and there. I have been testing all of my parameters and doing weekly Sunday water changes. I have been dealing with a brown hair algae issue. Would this have any affect on the gsp polyps coming out? Prior to this about a week before the occurrence the polyps were doing great and seemed to be growing wonderfully. I dose a trace element once a week along with water changes. 

Weetabix7

When my GSP stops opening all the way in my tanks, I know to look for what's off, cause something always is when that happens. 

It's more likely that what is causing the hair algae is the same thing that is irritating the GSP. 

Could be too much phosphate in the system. 

We would need more actual details about your system and exact numbers on your parameters. 

• Like 1
Jrkrouse13

I will take more tests this evening and post them along with a pic or two. From what I can remember now my ph is 8.2 nitrates we're at 0 temp is sitting at 80.6. I need to test phosphates when I get home

Jrkrouse13

Just tested my Params.

ph 8.2

nitrate 0

phosphates 0

calcium 500mg/l

ammonia 0

Salinity is 1.024

gsp still not showing signs of coming out and my diamond watchman goby is seemingly acting weird. He is laying on the sand bed swaying back and for taking big gasps. I have no idea what is wrong with him and the gsp at this point. I'm not sure what else I can test for. I appreciate any help I can get. What can I do?

ps also did a 20% wc last night

Simulated Fish

How are you testing salinity? Have you run any chemicals for your algea problem? What is your water source?

Gasping is a BIG red flag, any other fish in the tank?

• Like 3
RayWhisperer

While it would seem the two are related, with GSP, that's not always the case. I would suggest brushing the coral gently with a soft tooth brush. In case it's not evident, a new one, not the one you brush with. After that, direct a powerhead directly at it to "blow" any detritus off of it. Then return the powerhead to it's normal position. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the GSP will be back to normal within a few days.

As for the fish, I have no idea. Hippie brings up a good point with chemicals. Also, what are you testing with? When I see 0's, I'm automatically suspicious. Assuming you're using API tests, since most new people do. Sure, they are fine for tests like ammonia, maybe nitrates and PH, as well, since you only need an idea of the range. However, with things like phosphates, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity, they aren't going to cut it, long term. They're fine, for now. Just keep it in your mind, once things start growing and you need to understand your systems chemistry, you'll need better test kits.

Speaking of alkalinity, have a number for that? While it'll have no bearing on the fish, it might on the coral. Then again, if it's as jacked as your calcium, who knows? 500mg/l = 500 ppm. Not deadly, by any means, but not a level to be kept at.

• Like 6

If the ca is indeed at 500 chances are your alk may be low which could be the cause for the gsp stating closed.

Alk is very important to corals. It also works with ph and ca.

I agree. Alk, ca, mag, and phos should be salifert or red sea test kits. 

If indeed your phos and nitrates are at 0, there is no nutrients in the tank which corals do need some.

How much algae do you currently have because those readings may be inaccurate dure to algae consuming the nutrients.

What trace elements are you actually dosing?

Also what is your maintenance routine?

As for the fish, its most likely another issue from the gsp. Any spots on it, slime, red gills? 

Jrkrouse13

Most of my test are API. I have a refractometer for salinity. I don't actually dose anything other than Kent superbuffer and instant ocean reef accelerator with water changes done twice weekly. The goby died. I have no answer as to why or how. This morning when we woke up he was already gone. He had no signs of trauma or problems whatsoever that we could see. He was very slender when he died but he did eat albeit maybe not as much as we would've liked.

Both other fish are still just fine and have no problems at all. 

the algae issue is constantly recurring with what seems like hair algae and diatoms. We turkey baste the rocks daily. And brush them as well. 

Jrkrouse13

Here are two pictures of what the tank currently looks like. I am also preparing to do another 20% wc this evening. 

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

Jrkrouse13

Also an aside. I am running in my ac70 chemipure blue, one sponge and poly. Not sure if that matters but it has been running fine for the past two months. 

Simulated Fish

Sorry about the goby, losing a fish always sucks :(

I would have a LFS test your water and double check the dates on your kits. I would stop chasing PH with dosing, especially since you can't really test for it.

My guy tells me your biofilter isn't up to the load and you ammonia test isn't reading right. 

What and when was the last fish added?

• Like 2
Jrkrouse13

the last fish added was the goby roughly three weeks ago. the dates on everything are still in effect according to the boxes. i also just ordered a hanna phosphorus test and red sea pro kit for the alk mag and ca. hopefully they will be worth the money spent. it really does suck losing anything and gets frustrating when you dont know why.

Ditch the sponge in the filter. Its  nutrient trap. The filter floss alone is good and this should be chsnged twice a week.

Diatoms will go away on their own. 

Don't scrub off gha in the tank, its spreads that way.

• Like 1
Jrkrouse13

Should I be running anything different in the filter or just chemipure blue and floss?

Also should I be dosing anything other than I am?

RayWhisperer

You've only got a few corals. You shouldn't be dosing anything. It's more than likely the reason you ca is so high, and your alk is likely going to be low. Stick to water changes until you have more carbonate demand, then start an actual 2 part or kalk routine. Never blind dose, and don't use magic potions in a bottle.

• Like 5
Jrkrouse13

Update, the gsp has started to reappear. About 20% of the polyps came out this evening. They did not fully open but they were about halfway out. My Red Sea kit should arrive in the next day or so to get precise testing. At this point I don't have a way to test alk until that arrives. 

• Like 2

Never buffer ph. Ph fluctuates all day long. Its effected by photosynthesis.

Alk is super important, it also effects ph.

Never blind dose. That causes fluctuations.

You only dose to replace what corals consume, therefore testing is required to determine that.

You test after watet change

Test the next day. See if there are any changes. Keep testing until there is a change. That determines how often yo dose and how much.

With a new tank not heavily filled with lps, there shouldn't be that much fluctuations if any. 

As for filter media.

I use a good carbon, floss, phosguard(small amounts), and purigen. 

Jrkrouse13

Clown, when you say phosguard in small amounts do you buy in bulk or the individual bags? How often are you changing your media? I change out every week

My GSP stopped opening for a while about a month back. I noticed a film on the tissue between the polyps.  I took a cheap and clean acrylic paint brush used for art and trimmed the bristles down to about 1/5 -1/6 of an inch (for soft yet firm bristles) and used it to gently clean all the algae off of the GSP. Since then it has it has been opening and growing. It has at least doubled in size and it seems I can see new polyps budding every day. 

• Like 2

I buy phosguard and carbon in the larger containers and use media bags.

I use very small quantities of phosguard and change as needed. Its best to test before changing. I often change mine weekly or every 2 weeks but its because 

my phos has always tested 0 from the very beginning therefore testing has not helped(used salifert test kit) but i have had gha develop and nitrates are 2

Otherwise the instructions state to test after 4 days and remove after desired levels are reached and replace as phos rises.

Jrkrouse13

Well I got my Hanna phosphorus checker and my Red Sea foundation kit today. Just tested phosphorus and comes up 0. 

Calcium level says 480

alkalinity says 9.8

magnesium 1600

Jrkrouse13

Tested a fresh batch of saltwater and the same mag level appeared in that. 

Also the tank has looked slightly cloudy for a few weeks now but can't figure out why. 

If these tests are correct what is actually going on?