inTank Media Baskets

Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank

ReefWeeds

6 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Yeah wtf was I thinking .... ?

So the atart date was may 10 but some people joined up until yesterday. But the end date is the same I think for eveyone 

You were not thinking :lol: 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm coming over!

Vodka is over rated.....................and well I know if Stells had a few of those she would have fish lips and someone would be picking her up off of the floor :lol: 

Lightweight :P

• Like 1
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Vodka is over rated.....................and well I know if Stells had a few of those she would have fish lips and someone would be picking her up off of the floor :lol: 

Vodka is my fave! To each his/her own. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

:lol: pretty much! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Vodka is my fave! To each his/her own. 

Oh not saying it is a bed thing :lol: Ruby Red Squirt and Vodka.........................................oh the fun I have had with that drink :lol: that was my go to drink at the boat races..........................

• Like 1
Coral_chef
48 minutes ago, spectra said:

Oh not saying it is a bed thing :lol: Ruby Red Squirt and Vodka.........................................oh the fun I have had with that drink :lol: that was my go to drink at the boat races..........................

Mountain Dew Baja blast (from Taco Bell) and vodka!

• Like 2

Well, we are getting towards the end of the cycle finally. I have diatoms, ammonia is processing, I have about ,5 in nitrites and nitrates are coming down. They're at about 10 which is better than 40 plus a couple days ago. 

IMG_2888.JPG

• Like 8
Just now, lkoechle said:

I love all the macros 

Thank you! I think macros are my favorite - more than coral. I pulled a few different kinds from my macro tank thinking it would help offset the nitrate and phosphate spike. Although I also don't want them to disintegrate due to lack of nutrients next week so I'm not sure if I'll keep them there yet while I'm gone. I had to put something in there lol 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Thank you! I think macros are my favorite - more than coral. I pulled a few different kinds from my macro tank thinking it would help offset the nitrate and phosphate spike. Although I also don't want them to disintegrate due to lack of nutrients next week so I'm not sure if I'll keep them there yet while I'm gone. I had to put something in there lol 

I actually have pissed off sps from my nitrates being nothing in the lagoon.  I accidentally forgot to turn the skimmer off after all my fish died/were evacuated.  Now I have been feeding an "empty" tank to make them happier.  I had never had 0 nitrates before! lol

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I actually have pissed off sps from my nitrates being nothing in the lagoon.  I accidentally forgot to turn the skimmer off after all my fish died/were evacuated.  Now I have been feeding an "empty" tank to make them happier.  I had never had 0 nitrates before! lol

It seems crazy doesn't it?? And when it happens it happens fast!! I melted a crapload of macros in my macro tank when I first set it up thinking I had enough nutrients in there to support it - but then dealt with a gha outbreak once the good stuff released everything back into the water. Oh the trials and tribulations of finding the balance lol

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, stellablue said:

I should be painting or doing laundry ... instead I put a coral in the tank ?

IMG_2890.JPG

:wub:

• Like 1
Nixperience

I like how macros look good in full light when corals don't look as good. Then when the light goes bluer, the corals look better. 

• Like 1

Well instead of packing for my work trip tomorrow, I mounted the euphyllia in my tank that I got from my friend, Julian :) I knocked a bunch of the macros off so I had to rearrange them. The skeletons on the euphyllia are huge which I love as it adds structure. The frags came from colonies he has had for 7+ years I think he said. If you are on Instagram, check out his tank. It's pretty amazing. His username is gulloflife. It's nice having him somewhat local as he is a great resource. 

Anyway, here's the updated photo. Kinda cloudy still from blowing off diatoms and feeding some live phyto. 

I'm now second guessing the angler and thinking about barnacle blennies :lol: 

I've also decided not to use an extra powerhead in the DT. I feel like there's plenty of flow from the pump. 

I got the new pump from IM/MD. It's still loud-ish but not nearly as bad as the original. I can deal with it :) 

• Like 13
12 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Well instead of packing for my work trip tomorrow, I mounted the euphyllia in my tank that I got from my friend, Julian :) I knocked a bunch of the macros off so I had to rearrange them. The skeletons on the euphyllia are huge which I love as it adds structure. The frags came from colonies he has had for 7+ years I think he said. If you are on Instagram, check out his tank. It's pretty amazing. His username is gulloflife. It's nice having him somewhat local as he is a great resource. 

Anyway, here's the updated photo. Kinda cloudy still from blowing off diatoms and feeding some live phyto. 

I'm now second guessing the angler and thinking about barnacle blennies :lol: 

I've also decided not to use an extra powerhead in the DT. I feel like there's plenty of flow from the pump. 

I got the new pump from IM/MD. It's still loud-ish but not nearly as bad as the original. I can deal with it :) 

Looks fantastic already.

• Like 1

Gorgeous!  Your pump is kicking that much flow?  Hmmm... I wonder if mine will improve when the replacement gets here.

PS, Would you sell some macro sometime in the future?  I'm thinkin' about it for the mantis tank once I have it all sorted out.

• Like 1

Looks great Rachel! 

This would look so cool if you could train some sea-grass to grow in the sand-bed and have the rock kind of erupting up out of it.

Kind of like this, but with your big beefy rock structure on top.

Related image

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Gorgeous!  Your pump is kicking that much flow?  Hmmm... I wonder if mine will improve when the replacement gets here.

PS, Would you sell some macro sometime in the future?  I'm thinkin' about it for the mantis tank once I have it all sorted out.

Absolutely. I'm trying to get rid of a hair algae issue in the macro tank now so hopefully I'll have some ready to go when you're ready :)

the flow seems really good. I watched when I dumped the phyto in and it dispersed throughout the tank quickly. Everything collects in the front right corner under the return so that will make it easy to siphon out detritus. Any more flow and I don't think the euphyllia will be happy. 

13 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

lol you are out of room already.  upgrade?

:lol: I only have four corals in there! 

56 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Looks great Rachel! 

This would look so cool if you could train some sea-grass to grow in the sand-bed and have the rock kind of erupting up out of it.

Kind of like this, but with your big beefy rock structure on top.

Related image

That's a good idea! Maybe the prolifera will work! I have it in the back corner so maybe I can train it to grow around the rock structure 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Sponge and macro counts too!  omg, don't tell me they dont count toward the value and that's why you all are stuffing your contest tanks with sponges and macros....

cheaters!

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Sponge and macro counts too!  omg, don't tell me they dont count toward the value and that's why you all are stuffing your contest tanks with sponges and macros....

cheaters!

Bahaha omg you crack me up!! I did count the value :) by the way, live-plants is now offering sponges! These yellow elephant ears were $6 each! 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Absolutely. I'm trying to get rid of a hair algae issue in the macro tank now so hopefully I'll have some ready to go when you're ready :)

the flow seems really good. I watched when I dumped the phyto in and it dispersed throughout the tank quickly. Everything collects in the front right corner under the return so that will make it easy to siphon out detritus. Any more flow and I don't think the euphyllia will be happy. 

That's a good idea! Maybe the prolifera will work! I have it in the back corner so maybe I can train it to grow around the rock structure 

I, too, shall anxiously await the return of Stella's Macro Factory, LLC. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank