SaltCritters.com

Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank

ReefWeeds

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Really?  I used to have one on a rock by itself (on which it moved around and dropped four babies lol) so it never encountered anything.  Good to know!  It's hard to find info on it from what I remember (haven't looked in a while) since it's not as common as other Discosoma.

The mesenterial filaments are crazy in mine. It will destroy any other mushroom anywhere near it. And Xenia lol. 

• Like 1

Here are a couple of aquascape photos now that the water has mostly cleared. I'm processing about 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours which is good. Still dosing ammonia and bacteria though. 

The branch rock you see had been curing in a bucket for a few months. It had been in my beater 55 gallon macro tank and still had some bubble algae on it so I ended up giving it a vinegar soak and an h2o2 bath just to be safe. Pretty sure I killed off any bacteria that was in it, but added a couple pieces of rock from my reefer sump into the back chamber for now to help process ammonia and build the biofilter. I did see some decomposing bristleworms floating around yesterday - probably bought the farm in the vinegar or h2o2 ?

IMG_2771.JPG

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, stellablue said:

The mesenterial filaments are crazy in mine. It will destroy any other mushroom anywhere near it. And Xenia lol. 

Haha yeah my recent ones did like to spit up their filaments, there's a great pic on my original thread of it.  Though destroying xenia may not be a bad thing. :lol: Natural pest control!

• Like 1

And this is a top down showing the mangrove "planter" that's filled with Fiji mud (thin layer of sand on top) 

IMG_2767.JPG

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

I like that branch.  Looks like a ladder.

Thank you!! I have one more big piece I'm going to put in my macro tank 

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Your rockscape is so cool!

Thanks LM! 

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, stellablue said:

And this is a top down showing the mangrove "planter" that's filled with Fiji mud (thin layer of sand on top) 

IMG_2767.JPG

Thank you!! I have one more big piece I'm going to put in my macro tank 

Thanks LM! 

Have you ever used Fiji Mud like this before?

It interests me to see you do this cause I was thinking of doing something similar with some of my Macros, just in a longer, shallower tray. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Have you ever used Fiji Mud like this before?

It interests me to see you do this cause I was thinking of doing something similar with some of my Macros, just in a longer, shallower tray. 

I have! I ran it in my 66 sump in tupperware containers - I put mangroves in it and they did fairly well until I didn't watch the salt spray and they died.  Whoops.

• Like 2
MaineReefkeeper
3 hours ago, stellablue said:

And this is the side shot - same angle as the web cam once @Franklin Stowersets it up ?

IMG_2774.JPG

That branch rock is amazing looking!! Lots of coral scaping possibilities!! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

That branch rock is amazing looking!! Lots of coral scaping possibilities!! 

Thank you!!! 

6 hours ago, stellablue said:

I love mushies.  That's going to be the primary focus of this tank :)  Along with some macro algae.

Can I put my bounce pair in mine :lol: sucks that 2 shrooms would kill the budget.........

and 40 bucks for a paly and you killed it :( 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

:) Happy ill be able to help fill 'er up!

Yay!!!!! omgomgomg 

15 minutes ago, spectra said:

Can I put my bounce pair in mine :lol: sucks that 2 shrooms would kill the budget.........

and 40 bucks for a paly and you killed it :( 

Yeah my aiptasia did it in. Sucks. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Yeah my aiptasia did it in. Sucks. 

I found an aptasia in my tank today :o flippen peppermint shrimp are going to be snacks if they don't start eating that stuff :lol: 

I wouldn't trust hairball you know the shipment will get lost or he will send you the wrong stuff........

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

I found an aptasia in my tank today :o flippen peppermint shrimp are going to be snacks if they don't start eating that stuff :lol: 

I wouldn't trust hairball you know the shipment will get lost or he will send you the wrong stuff........

....or catch fire.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

:o

I don't think i needed to add ammonia :lol:  I didn't think about all the dead worms in the rocks I used.  Since I vinegar soaked and h2o2 soaked and then scrubbed - I figured they would be clean.  Until I saw the dead decomposing worms floating around.  Waiting for nitrites to go down and then water change time.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Live Aquaria one day only free shipping on $99 and up.  I know you are a fan of LA.  I am tempted to get a copperband butterfly but I may not be as lucky as you...

I think just making sure it isn't bullied in the beginning is key. Mine prefers to eat LRS reef frenzy - it doesn't care for mysis much but loves some of the other goodies in that mix. I'll have to look to see if they have a sargassum angler! Although I really am thinking of waiting until I get back from Las Vegas next week 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Stella's ReefWeeds - 100 days of Nanos Contest Tank