SaltCritters.com

A College Fusion - SPS Dominated IM 25 Lagoon

WindyCityReefer.

WindyCityReefer.
On 7/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, Fish_Wiz said:

All hail Trubisky! LOL

Those two fish sounds good to me, you could probably squeeze in one more fish. I'm not a fan of wrasses anymore but they do help with flatworms. For a 25, my pick would be a tailspot blenny and a pair of blue stripes pipefish (if you can find them). I have a single male bluestripe and love him but wish I found him with a mate, I've tried to pair him up but he ends up killing the female 😕

I was thinking of doing 1 more fish max. I looked into the blue stripe pipefish and it seems like they would not be a good fit with my corals/rock anemones 🙄

What are your thoughts on a dwarf angel? I was debating maybe a Multicolor. I know with a dwarf angel I run the risk of nipping at the coral. 

Or possibly a Sunburst anthias? 

23 hours ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

I was thinking of doing 1 more fish max. I looked into the blue stripe pipefish and it seems like they would not be a good fit with my corals/rock anemones 🙄

What are your thoughts on a dwarf angel? I was debating maybe a Multicolor. I know with a dwarf angel I run the risk of nipping at the coral. 

Or possibly a Sunburst anthias? 

I used to have a flameback angel in my old biocube, amazing fish never nipped at any of my corals (tank was SPS/LPS mix) but it loved to eat so nutrient control was kinda hard. 

Sunbursts are nice but to me not active enough for my liking.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
WindyCityReefer.
On 7/10/2019 at 8:28 PM, Fish_Wiz said:

I used to have a flameback angel in my old biocube, amazing fish never nipped at any of my corals (tank was SPS/LPS mix) but it loved to eat so nutrient control was kinda hard. 

Sunbursts are nice but to me not active enough for my liking.

I am very tempted to try a dwarf angel.. but I am worried that the tank might be too small for one? Maybe if I get a small one. I saw LA Diver's Den has a smaller Joculator angel.. maybe in my dreams 😅

On 7/10/2019 at 11:41 PM, Tamberav said:

I love my sunburst anthia...always out front and soo perdy!

100% agree on the looks! It is a beautiful fish that would add lots of color. I have to say I am pretty torn on what to do! 

A little update on the tank (Photo Intense!) - I dialed in the dosing back to the demands of the tank. After having some of the bigger colonies kick the bucket, it took some time to adjust the doser accordingly. Right now the tank is hovering right around 8.0-8.3 dKH and things seems happy. 

I found myself at one of the frag swaps in the area last weekend and caught up with @mitten_reef. It was nice chatting! Hope your corals are doing well 👍 After seeing all the hot SPS at the swap, I decided to start filling in some of the empty spaces. Below are some new additions

•  Route66 Merlin's Staff (From the swap)
  •  Vivid's Confetti
  •  ASD Rainbow Milli
  •  WWC Little Red Ferrari

All the frags did not go in all at once - fellow reefers were holding onto some until the tank was back on its feet. So far, polyp extension is good and everything seems happy. Of course, the post would be worthless without photos 😁 

ASD Rainbow Milli

66.jpeg.4464edcaff38cdebb472cf7144670146.jpeg

Merlin's Staff and Confetti

222.jpeg.79b5ad02a4571142dd05b52dba215848.jpeg

Mummy Eye Chalice and RR Pink Cadillac 

444.jpeg.136183aa6f690627c5802078095ea230.jpeg

Tyree Undata Monti - a classic and one of my favorites! This monti has seen so many ups and downs, in addition to RTNing down to less than a 1/2". Somehow it has managed to bounce back and just grow tremendously. 

555.jpeg.04338c05ec90443ce37d013de4235830.jpeg

WWC SupaFly Chalice - growing day by day and hungry as ever. It actively eats pellets! 

1111.jpeg.b2f24be09ac855c2923a4632a21737f6.jpeg                              100.jpeg.40816013cf8c88385d6f31b9d6105b95.jpeg

Milka Stylo and Forest Fire Digi photobombing - strangely the two are passively growing into one another. 

111.jpeg.e57d79e6b728aae86b4e12a63bfea39e.jpeg

Some Acan Love

77.jpeg.1578beef3c210fbf64f14e952998a7fd.jpeg

Right Side of the tank

333.jpeg.f6e2b75ce5e42e3b7d1ee05b20380299.jpeg

Left Side of the tank

88.jpeg.7a6e7f18c0b3e19450f7620a78169ca1.jpeg

Full tank shot

99.jpeg.826874f7643f96b550195c6eda8e05e0.jpeg

Things to note: I did change the aquascape of the right side of the tank for better placement of SPS. Previously, it was rather difficult finding space on the "island" of corals for new additions. The new flat pieces offer multiple areas of placement and room for corals to grow. 

I know this was a long post, so thank you for those who have gotten this far 🙂 I hope everyone enjoys the photos!

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
WindyCityReefer.
On 7/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, mitten_reef said:

Nice update, everything seems very happy in the tank!

Thanks! It is nice to finally see things settle in again.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:59 AM, fissues said:

Nice tank. Sucks to hear about the moving troubles. That sounds like a really rough situation, but it's still looking good. 

Thank you! The move definitely shook the tank up a bit. But through it all I have found that coral can be really sensitive and resilient all at the same time.

I will try and shoot some more photos today after I complete my weekly water change. Stay tuned!  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
WindyCityReefer.

Sneak Peek! 

IMG_1362.JPG.d237c42bbcf5b6a810432b84b6a8195f.JPG

Well, I think I can check off "new light" for the tank. I recently purchased a gently used ATI NanoBox Hybrid from a fellow reefer! I am currently waiting for the unit to arrive this weekend from FedEx 😎 While the AI Sol has been a fantastic light, the shading and spot light effect has caused irregular growth/die-off. In addition, I am limited to placement of corals within the center of the tank. Doing a lot of research, I found that hybrid lighting is the best way to go since no light source is perfect. Visual appearance is big for me as well and I did not want to have a DIY unit over the tank. I reached out to numerous ATI/Nanobox hybrid users and I could not find one that was not happy with their light or regretted their purchase. A couple specs of the unit:

• 24" 8 bulb ATI converted to a 6 bulb
  • 6 individual V3 NanoBox LED arrays
  • Bluefish V1

I know the light is overkill for the tank but the plan is to use only 2 of the T5s for supplementing the LEDs (per @DaveFason recommendation). Plus, I figured once I upgrade to a bigger tank I can use the fixture to its full potential and won't have to worry about upgrading. In the mean time I should be able to grow just about anything in every part of the tank 😁 Dave also suggested that at any point I can send the light to him for a "update/refresh".

Aside from all the benefits of the light, the price was just too hard to pass up. Every other used fixture was less light for the same price if not more. In addition, the recent price increases on Radions and Hydras would require me to spend more money for multiple units.

Now on to some photos! 

Disclaimer: all photos were provided by the original owner. But I will be sure to take some of my own once it arrives.

IMG_1360.JPG.3b639b180d6328e36188992ae5494e8f.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG.63949a7d7f29b46cf7167127d5c21850.JPG

Just another quick shout out to @DaveFason - the amount of messages I sent him asking questions about the unit and hybrid lighting all together probably sets a record. Dave was kind enough to answer all of my questions as well as give recommendations for my system. His passion and willingness to help made my decision that much easier. And Dave, this is the unit we talked about earlier this year! 

• Like 5
  • Wow 3
WindyCityReefer.

Anxiously waiting for the new light to arrive tomorrow :happydance:  Does anyone have any suggestions/experience on which T5 bulbs pair well with the Nanobox arrays? I would like to make sure I am covering the spectrum as best as possible.

Also, I tested my nitrates today since a lot of the SPS have started dulling in color. After my nutrient spike earlier in the summer, the last thing I was thinking about was adding NO3. Today's test reveals that they are at "zero". I think it might be time to start dosing potassium nitrate again.. 

On top of regular maintenance on the tank (i.e. water change, water testing, feeding), I made it out to the Michigan vs. Army football game this weekend with some friends. Can't complain about our seats this year :biggrin:

IMG_1383.jpg.eea87988d32a64c68b1fbbeada854f9e.jpg

• Like 3

I like ATI bulbs so this list is all ATI but Giesemann also makes greats bulbs:

Front to back:

Blue+
Actinic
Purple+
Coral+
Actinic
Blue+

This mixed with the LEDs will be a ton of pop and growth.

Also, that game was scary in the beginning lol, glad M came back hot in the end.

• Like 1
WindyCityReefer.
2 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

I like ATI bulbs so this list is all ATI but Giesemann also makes greats bulbs:

Front to back:

Blue+
Actinic
Purple+
Coral+
Actinic
Blue+

This mixed with the LEDs will be a ton of pop and growth.

Also, that game was scary in the beginning lol, glad M came back hot in the end.

Thanks for the lineup Wiz. Do you think I should utilize all the T5s? I was thinking only using 2-4 of the sockets. Looks like Blue+, Actinic, Purple+ are popular from what I am researching.

The game was wild - honestly did not expect them to win after watching the first few quarters.. Thankfully we are still ranked 10 in the polls!

I can't tell if that is the dimmable version but if so, then for sure yes to using all 6 and dimming them. If it is not dimmable, I'd say still go all 6 T5's but increase distance from tank and dim the LEDs as T5 in my experience are still superior to LED and provide the best growth at the cost of zero shimmer lol. I also think if you really don't want to use a set, you'll need to disconnect the ballast, don't leave them connected and bulb-less.

Game was indeed wild, leave it to Harbaugh to lead them to victory.

WindyCityReefer.

Unfortunately, it is not the dimmable version. From what I have read the dimmable version actually reduces bulb and ballast life? That may be anecdotal though. I also was not aware that I need to disconnect the ballast if not in use. @DaveFason can you chime in on how I can go about doing so?

I never considered running all the T5s and supplementing them with the LED arrays. The only concern would be having to replace the bulbs more often. The nice thing about supplementing with T5s is that the bulbs will last longer if I am running them for only 2-4 hours a day 🤔

• Like 1

The dimmable will reduce bulb life but I'm unsure by how much. My buddy that has the ATI dimmable/NanoBox hybrid on his frag tank and a non-dimmable ATI/NanoBox on his main tank says it's not significant but he's predominately LED.

Don't quote me on disconnecting the T5 ballasts though lol, it's something I do, not really sure if its electronically correct... I need to dust off my old electrical books. Just seems to me like leaving a ballast connected to power and the potential to short/arc the open end caps (rare but possible) could be bad news.

Also, play around with it, you have the option. You can flip back on fourth between LED or T5 dominate with the flick of some timers/controllers. My buddy does this. Very big perk of hybrids.

WindyCityReefer.
On 9/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, Fish_Wiz said:

The dimmable will reduce bulb life but I'm unsure by how much. My buddy that has the ATI dimmable/NanoBox hybrid on his frag tank and a non-dimmable ATI/NanoBox on his main tank says it's not significant but he's predominately LED.

Don't quote me on disconnecting the T5 ballasts though lol, it's something I do, not really sure if its electronically correct... I need to dust off my old electrical books. Just seems to me like leaving a ballast connected to power and the potential to short/arc the open end caps (rare but possible) could be bad news.

Also, play around with it, you have the option. You can flip back on fourth between LED or T5 dominate with the flick of some timers/controllers. My buddy does this. Very big perk of hybrids.

All good points. I will definitely wait for Dave to chime in before deciding anything. I do like the idea of using some more T5s though 😎

Let there be light!! I am still trying to get used to how much light the LEDs alone produce. Coupled with the T5s, there should be absolutely ZERO shading. Here is a shot with the LEDs dialed down to about 5% for some photos. 

All channels:

IMG_1432.jpg.2ef13eadd131b0660e8e76e596817351.jpg

Royal Blue:                                                                                                                    White/Lime:

IMG_1439.jpg.4440b526c217a1fc1fc479a385d4e061.jpg         IMG_1438.jpg.ffacbe4d50da98ca126e16a1f187c5f7.jpg

Cyan:                                                                                                                             Violet:

IMG_1436.jpg.a66ea0cf21ac15a11c530270db67a571.jpg         IMG_1437.jpg.9bdc5bc078f6b3d3d1803257c87e9c82.jpg

Some ATI bling                                                                                                              Some NanoBox craftsmanship

IMG_1431.jpg.61abda9268acd627d43759b65b36396b.jpg         IMG_1435.jpg.e4acb768bb1692b5070770ce3994c4d5.jpg

Next on the agenda is to buy some bulbs and determine a way to mount the fixture over the tank. Honestly, I will probably buy 6 bulbs to start. Worse comes to worse I will have some extra bulbs in the case that I do not use them all. For mounting, I am considering making a DIY mount. Does anyone have any ideas or links to mounting? Sadly, I cannot mount the fixture to the ceiling due to housing policy.. 

• Like 4

If you're cool with a rustic/pipe look, go to home depot and grab some of their black steel pipe. Make a U shape with flanged ends, screw the flanges into your stand, drill hoes for the hanging kit, BAM, done.

• Like 2

Dang your going to cook the corals :lol: the 25 is only 12" deep and well I ran pretty much the same light...........48" so 2 more LEDs but same amount of T5s..........16" deep tank and well I could bleach certain corals if not careful.........I ran blue plus for bulbs on the T5s.

Running a 4 bulb T5 set up now with LEDs over the new tank now.

• Haha 1
WindyCityReefer.
36 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

some notable T5/LED hybrid users that jumped out @HarryPotter and @markalot.  Markalot uses nanobox ATI hybrid on his 150G - amazing tank and journal, you should check it out.  @spectra had nanobox ATI hybrid over his 100G lagoon that just taken down.  They might chime in, or at least you can look up their tank journals 🙂 

Thanks man! I am going to check out their build threads.

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Dang your going to cook the corals :lol: the 25 is only 12" deep and well I ran pretty much the same light...........48" so 2 more LEDs but same amount of T5s..........16" deep tank and well I could bleach certain corals if not careful.........I ran blue plus for bulbs on the T5s.

Running a 4 bulb T5 set up now with LEDs over the new tank now.

Yeah I know it is overkill for the tank, but figured it would give me another reason to upgrade down the line 😉 What % did you run the LEDs at? Were you running primarily LEDs and supplementing with T5s? 

2 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

If you're cool with a rustic/pipe look, go to home depot and grab some of their black steel pipe. Make a U shape with flanged ends, screw the flanges into your stand, drill hoes for the hanging kit, BAM, done.

I was thinking of doing that, but the tank sits on my desk and I cannot drill into it.. I am thinking of making the U shape like you suggested but creating legs for it on either side of the tank. Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

Thanks man! I am going to check out their build threads.

Yeah I know it is overkill for the tank, but figured it would give me another reason to upgrade down the line 😉 What % did you run the LEDs at? Were you running primarily LEDs and supplementing with T5s? 

I was thinking of doing that, but the tank sits on my desk and I cannot drill into it.. I am thinking of making the U shape like you suggested but creating legs for it on either side of the tank. Thoughts?

Not sure on the LEDs as I had Dave set it up for me...........he knew what I liked and just gave him my log in info and he did the rest. As for T5s ran them from noon to 5 and that was it.

Love the black on the ATI............thats what I had on mine also...........I hung mine from the ceiling but if unable to I would look into some square stock to mount to the stand if able to and hang that way.

WindyCityReefer.
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Not sure on the LEDs as I had Dave set it up for me...........he knew what I liked and just gave him my log in info and he did the rest. As for T5s ran them from noon to 5 and that was it.

Love the black on the ATI............thats what I had on mine also...........I hung mine from the ceiling but if unable to I would look into some square stock to mount to the stand if able to and hang that way.

That is great - I am going to have to reach out to Dave and get his thoughts as well. I was also thinking of using the T5s for that extra punch mid-day. Did you use ATI bulbs?

8 hours ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

That is great - I am going to have to reach out to Dave and get his thoughts as well. I was also thinking of using the T5s for that extra punch mid-day. Did you use ATI bulbs?

Yes ATI blue plus.........Had an attinic mixed in but did not like the look.

WindyCityReefer.
8 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Each ballast will power two bulbs. No need to worry. 

Send me your login and I will edit as needed. 

T5 bulbs, I like Blue +, Purple + and Aquablue special. 

-D

Thanks, Dave! I am assuming you mean Bluefish login? Also, what would you recommend as starting %'s for the LEDs? I am nervous that I might fry the corals 😬