Urry88

What's the recommended size tank required to house a couple ofocellaris clown fish and what anemone should I get

Urry88

What's the recommended  size tank  required to house a couple of ocellaris clown fish and what anemone should I get for it, it's for my sons room. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm a first timer 

Sorry if this has been posted before. 

Hdale85

I believe generally you want to stay away from anemone's as a beginner. 

• Like 3

The Reef Novice

IMO a 30 gallon tank would be sufficient to host two Ocellaris. I know a lot of individuals will get clown fish then want to get an anemone however anemones are not a requirement for your fish to flourish.  

• Like 1

Hippieheadshot

10g display area for a pair of clowns. @Hdale85 is right nems should be added to a mature tank, they are inverts not coral and as such can freely move and when they die it is normally due to stress, this can kill other livestock.

How old is your son? Understand that this tank will be empty for a month. Saltwater is a lot of upkeep and perseverance. It's a great hobby but be sure you have the time, money, and patience to provide the care these living creatures will need.

Also, Welcome to nano-reef :)

• Like 6

Hdale85

Just remember the smaller the tank the more often the water change, and maintenance etc to keep the tank stable. 

• Like 1

Urry88
33 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

10g display area for a pair of clowns. @Hdale85 is right nems should be added to a mature tank, they are inverts not coral and as such can freely move and when they die it is normally due to stress, this can kill other livestock.

How old is your son? Understand that this tank will be empty for a month. Saltwater is a lot of upkeep and perseverance. It's a great hobby but be sure you have the time, money, and patience to provide the care these living creatures will need.

Also, Welcome to nano-reef :)

I did abit of reading after putting this post up so i was getting the tank a week before the fish and he's nearly two but absolutely obsessed with clown fish part thanks to nemo and part thanks to the deep (an aquarium near us.) So for his second birthday next month I'm thinking a small one in his room. Also what's 10g to litres as all the online stores only state in litres? And thanks for the welcome and thanks to everyone else for the advise. 

Nixperience

Not a good idea for a 2 year old. It would be best if you kept the tank and allowed him to feed with your supervision and as he gets older, he can have more resppnsibilities. I wouldn't have saltwater tank in his room unless you want him to experience the loss of Nemo. 

• Like 4

Urry88

Oh he won't be touching it,  it'll be on a shelf high out the way as he's only really short it's for him to look at untill he's old enough to help feed them. Tbh it'll likely end up in the living room but I'm yet to talk the significant other round to that idea lol. That's why I'm looking at only two fish, also what the better tank spec length of height or doesn't that matter? 

Hippieheadshot
16 minutes ago, Urry88 said:

I did abit of reading after putting this post up so i was getting the tank a week before the fish and he's nearly two but absolutely obsessed with clown fish part thanks to nemo and part thanks to the deep (an aquarium near us.) So for his second birthday next month I'm thinking a small one in his room. Also what's 10g to litres as all the online stores only state in litres? And thanks for the welcome and thanks to everyone else for the advise. 

One week is not enough for a cycle and you could kill the fish with ammonia poisoning :(

Be sure to test and do not add fish tell the tank can process ammonia, Google up fishless saltwater cycling.

I agree 2 is too young unless it is on lockdown, I have a 1 1/2 year old that LOVES my tank but it is in the living room and we'll out over reach. Curiosity is strong at this age. Think of all the wires and Power cords, the fact that bacterial infection is a possibility when hands go into the tank.

This is a great hobby to share but be sure to research and take it slow, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

40L for 2 clowns 

• Like 2

Urry88

As I just said it won't be any where near his height level hey may be two but he's only just coming into 9-12 month old clothes he's tiny bless him. I read a few guides today and they said a week but that's why I'm also on here asking question after question so I know what I'm doing miles ahead of me actually even purchasing a tank which won't be be till middle of next month if all goes well

Hippieheadshot
2 minutes ago, Urry88 said:

As I just said it won't be any where near his height level hey may be two but he's only just coming into 9-12 month old clothes he's tiny bless him. I read a few guides today and they said a week but that's why I'm also on here asking question after question so I know what I'm doing miles ahead of me actually even purchasing a tank which won't be be till middle of next month if all goes well

Ah that makes more since. That's the great thing about this forum we are here to help! :)

Hope it's not coming off as harsh.

40 litters for 2 clowns, I would go for width over depth, give the fish more horizontal swimming room.

I would highly recommend and AIO, all in one, tank like a biocube. Comes with a lid that is a snug fit and has weight. Though I'm a little biased because I prefer AIO over a sump. Especially with a little one, less for them to get into.

Urry88
20 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Ah that makes more since. That's the great thing about this forum we are here to help! :)

Hope it's not coming off as harsh.

40 litters for 2 clowns, I would go for width over depth, give the fish more horizontal swimming room.

I would highly recommend and AIO, all in one, tank like a biocube. Comes with a lid that is a snug fit and has weight. Though I'm a little biased because I prefer AIO over a sump. Especially with a little one, less for them to get into.

Would this suffice for what I'm after here's the specs

60L Starter Kit
  • Tank volume: 60 Litres
  • Dimensions: 490mm x 300mm x 460mm
  • Pump power: 500LPH, 6W
  • Filtration system: Filter sponge ( included ) and media trays for additional media such as bio balls, ceramic rings or activated carbon
  • Lighting: 3 colour mode LED lights ( white, blue & red )
  • 100W heater

$_1.JPG

Clown79

Welcome

Definitely research cycling, water chemistry, lighting, and maintenance. Its absolutely the most important thing you can do when getting into this hobby, next is going slow.

2 clowns in a 10g is the minimum. I have 2 in a 15g.

Anemones- not for new tanks nor beginners. As stated, they can move around at any time, get caught in powerheads/intakes which can destroy a whole tank.  They also need very good water quality and specific lighting.

Clowns don't need an anemone.

Cycling will take anywhere between 10days to over a mnth. It depends on the rocks you choose to set up the tank. 

Dry rock needs bacteria and ammonia dosing- time for cycle depends

Liverock doesn't- usually a faster cycle

Fish can't be added a week after the tank is started.

Maintenance is another thing that comes into play.

Weekly water changes with sand vacuuming, algae scraping, weekly media changing(filter floss), topping up evaporation water every day, weekly testing etc. Etc.

Wherever you put the tank, make sure it can support the weight, is level, and easy access for maintenance.

• Like 3

Hippieheadshot
29 minutes ago, Urry88 said:

Would this suffice for what I'm after here's the specs

60L Starter Kit
  • Tank volume: 60 Litres
  • Dimensions: 490mm x 300mm x 460mm
  • Pump power: 500LPH, 6W
  • Filtration system: Filter sponge ( included ) and media trays for additional media such as bio balls, ceramic rings or activated carbon
  • Lighting: 3 colour mode LED lights ( white, blue & red )
  • 100W heater

$_1.JPG

For a fish only tank, that will be fine. The lights won't do anything but fish don't need light to grow but anything else other then algea will not survive without upgrading the light. The sponge is the first ting I would tank out because it will just trap detritus and they are a PITA to clean.

I noticed that is an eBay tank, what budget are you working with?

• Like 1

Urry88

Yeah I've decide to give the anemone a miss as I new to all this I had a tropical tank as a kid but the parents looked after that. 

I'll look into all that and I'm getting live rocks as that's been the only consistent point on everything I've read so far apart from getting some hiding places for them. 

I'm thinking of getting a stand/cupboard for it with it been a bigger tank then I originally thought

Urry88
3 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

For a fish only tank, that will be fine. The lights won't do anything but fish don't need light to grow but anything else other then algea will not survive without upgrading the light. The sponge is the first ting I would tank out because it will just trap detritus and they are a PITA to clean.

I noticed that is an eBay tank, what budget are you working with?

Not really got a budget as of yet, I'm just looking into it atm and getting as much info as possible but this will be a joint purchase with the grandparents for his birthday and we do love to spoil the little bugger. 

So any recommendations would be ace as don't want to go into this been blind and then losing the fish as that's just irresponsible and stupid

Urry88

I've been looking at them today and like the look. 

What makes then better exactly? 

Hdale85

They are just a nice quality AIO tank. That stands for all in one, in the back of the tank it's blocked off and there's a whole filter system back there to house media, heater, etc. It comes with a tank and pump so there's only a couple extras you need, like a power head, and heater and then your rock and sand mostly. 

• Like 1

Nixperience

I had this on my kitchen counter for a year and now I use it as a quarantine tank when I need it. Had 2 clowns in it for almost a year and they've been there for a week now while they wait for their new home to cycle. 11 gallon tank, aquaclear 70 hang on back filter, heater, light. 

Innovative Marine makes a 20 gallon that is 24x15x13 and has the filtration built in for $200 and comes with a mesh screen lid, which is better than a sealed lid so the tank gets air. That would be perfect and has potential for more than 2 clownfish if you get more experienced. 

E8AD5D70-1A35-4BFD-95A2-221F20D79E34_zps

Heres the link for the IM 20 gallon. I think you'll like this. 

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_20_Gallon_NUVO_Fusion_Nano_Aquarium_(Tank_Only)_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_20_29_Gallons-Innovative_Marine-0I10458-FIAQNCNTTT-vi.html

• Like 1

yungKitten

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Urry88

That's a nice tank that @Nixperience and thanks dude I'll have to see if they have it in the UK in morning as I can't find the biocubes anywhere. 

@yungKitten why the bad feeling I'm getting info before I decide what to do isn't that the best way? 

Anyways I'm off to sleep now but if I have any more questions and I likely will have tomorrow I'll be sure to ask thanks a bunch guys been a great help. 

Peace out. 

Nixperience

Thanks man. Gotta start somewhere. Go SLOW. Just make sure you are careful and read a lot and that, in the end, you are really doing this for you as a fun thing to experience for your son. That was my excuse for my wife. I wanted to get a fish tank for my daughter, who is now 3. The option was really a betafish and thag would've died in 6 months and she would've been done with it. So, I made it something that I was into and I could share the experience with my daughter as she grows up, since nobody else really wants to hear about it anyway ?  Now my obsession has evolved and I'm going to use it as a way to teach my daughter about ecology as she grows up. Im trying to make the most biodiverse and stable system as I can in a 30 gallon footprint. 

Clown79

Biocubes are a decent tank plus the lights can support soft and lps corals if you choose to advance to that.

Innovative marines are nice as well but you will need to buy a light regardless for fish only or corals.

I second not using any sponges in any filteration. Filter floss only with other media.

Nixperience

Could get the Aquamaxx nemo light for $90-130 with the IM 20. It seems better than Current for the price range. With heater, light, tank $350. Or splurge for an AI prime and system would be about $425 for everything and lighting would be able to handle anything for the future.