ReefCleaners.org

Hob filter size

Clown79

I am considering switching hob on my 15g

Currently running api superclean which is up to 20g.  

I want to switch to the seachem tidal 55. I like the basket size, the surface skimmer, the whole design

Wondering if its overkill on a 15g? 

When judging HOB power filters, I find it more useful to look at flow rates than gallon ratings.  That filter is rated at 250 gph, which is 16.7 times turnover.  That still gives you a little room for a small powerhead, and two sources of flow (for redundancy and better random currents).  So in other words, it should be fine.

reeftankguy

I'm running a Tidal 110 on my 15g ADA. Its a nice design with the surface skimmer and "Huge" media basket. I just turn the flow down to 50-60% 

IMG_3386_zpspuwp0olw.jpg

• Like 2

I like your tank.

Thanks for the tip.

I think the 55 should be good, its quite an increase from what i currently run. 

These filters look really good, i like the design!

I don't plan on using the sponge but replacing it with filter floss but the room available for all my other media is very appealing

The Reef Novice

Yes the Tidal Filter is a great filter love that you can control the flow. The huge filter basket and Surface skimmer is definitely a bonus. Do you think you could post a few pic's of how you set up your filter basket?

• 4 weeks later...

I love the tidal. By far my favourite hob and I've had many over the years.

Its silent. Love sicce pumps and thats what it comes with. The basket is huge and it has a surface skimmer.

I personally don't really care for the AC, they became popular because other brands don't offer the ability to use custom media as easily and ppl like the design for refugiums but otherwise i find them noisy, cause micro bubbles, you have ltd water flow control.

• Like 1