Pod Your Reef

Fluval Evo 13 mods!

clownin around

clownin around

Hey guys I wanted to post and collect some recommendations/ideas on mods for my evo 13.5!

I've had a sw tank setup since late last summer and moved from the evo 5 to 13.5 over the last few months.

I currently have a clown and a few corals (gsp, xenia, red mush, zoos, frog + torch). 

As for mods so far i'm currently running an aqueon 100w heater in the first back chamber, homemade egg crate media basket of floss, bioballs, and chemipure in the middle, and a cobalt mj1200 in the last back chamber to replace the stock pump.

So..I next planned to upgrade the stock lights to increase growth/color and the "touch" feature on the stock lights which sucks.

i was thinking of getting a kessil a160 and ATO unit but also for the price was looking at an orbit marine 4100 to save money. I'd rather spend a bit more if the kessil is worth it and that kinda is the direction I was going after reading thru other articles, especially if i was going to add any sps corals down the road.

The mj1200 puts out a nice flow in my tank and the corals definitely responded to it over the stock pump, but it also makes a humming noise that made me consider getting a sicce syncra 1.5 .

Also debating getting the intank media basket for chamber 1 and putting a skimmer or other filtration in the second chamber while moving the heater in with the pump. I know there's mixed reviews on the  PS2 skimmer but i was considering adding another smaller size fish and did not want to max the bioload. Has anyone had success using another mini skimmer?

I know this is alot in terms of mods and money but I planned to space out upgrades over the summer and keep researching what others have done with their setups!

You'll have maybe 8 gallons of water.  A water change will do more than any small skimmer.  Def. not a must have

• Like 3
clownin around

Okay I usually do 1gal/week water change and that keeps everything looking great. I saw you had a skimmer on your IM Nuvo 16 and talked about not doing a lot of water changes but didn't know if the two were related. Does adding a skimmer  cut back on the amount of water changes, so if I wanted to stretch out water changes to 1.5 gal/2-3 weeks a skimmer would help that end goal? I don't mind just keeping up with water changes but I am trying to make the system  more automated as a whole, i.e. lights with a timer, auto top off, etc.

I'm still learning everyday with my tank haha it might be a dumb idea thats just why I'm asking. Like most everyone else I want to learn how to maintain my tank the right way but I've seen theres not one clear cut answer and everyone has their own advice.

The largest benefit of water changes is removal of waste, and resupply of trace elements.  A skimmer will not do that.

The "problem" with this tank is there isn't a great skimmer that will fit.  Really small skimmers generally suck, there just isn't enough footprint to make them physically work.  The meme style skimmer in chamber two seems to be the best option if you wanted to go that route.  Media Basket in chamber one.

• Like 1
TheBig053

I have the Fluval EVO 13.5 as well and I bought the PS2 skimmer without doing any research.  I wish I had saved the $60-$70 to buy something else more useful (like an inTank Media Basket!).  The skimmer was really loud and while I didn't have any fish in the tank while I was running it, it didn't seem to produce very much other than a ton of micro bubbles which made my tank look like a snow globe.  I toyed endlessly with the air in take and water flow but was never able to find a good setting.  I eventually just removed the skimmer.  I currently have a DIY egg crate media basket in chamber one with filter floss on the first shelf, purigen on the second, and chemipure elite in the bottom of the chamber.  I actually hung the bag of chemipure from the second shelf because I thought this would get better water flow around the media as opposed to it resting on the bottom of the chamber.  I recently added a bag of PhosGuard to chamber 2 to try and address an algae issue on my sand bed (not working so far!).  I added a Cobalt 50W heater to chamber three since this fit with the stock pump and plenty of room to spare. I am still running the stock pump but will probably be upgrading in the near future to something more powerful.  I have a Hydor Koralia 425 on the opposite end of the tank from the AIO return outputs.  I've been toying with the placement of the 425 and the direction of the return outputs for weeks and just cant seem to find the perfect placement to ensure consistent flow over the sand bed, turbulent flow for the corals, and surface agitation.  Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I may need to add another source of flow in order to get this combo correct, but I don't want my tank to be dominated by powerheads.  Lastly, I just replaced the stock light last night with an AI Prime HD.  The stock light just didn't cut it with the touch capability and limited/no programming options.  I am hoping the added control over the photoperiod will help some with the sand bed algae.  I am kind of at a loss at this point with the algae issue as I am doing a weekly 20% wc (baste rocks, siphon back chambers, siphon sand), changing filter floss twice a week, and feeding only every other day.  The only thing I haven't tried is changing my water source.  I am currently getting RO/DI from an LFS but have not tested it for phosphate or silicate.  Is it possible to test for silicate in the water? Perhaps I just need to wait it out since the tank is only 1.5 months old. 

• Like 1
clownin around

Thanks for your input on the skimmer! Agree on the intank basket, I held off on a powerhead after I upgraded the stock pump and found it to be more than enough flow, but this also depends somewhat on your rock and coral placement. I keep my frogspawn in indirect flow and my gsp/torch seem to like a little more flow so i put them across the tank from the nozzles with one nozzle pointing straight across the tank towards the surface somewhat and the other at a 45 degree angle between first nozzle and back wall aiming at the opposite glass wall diagonally. I had to play around with it and wait a minute after changing nozzle positions to see how the corals react to get everyone happy, but I definitely agree keep less/no powerheads is worth it aesthetically unless you want more random/turbulent flow.

I feel you on the algae, I bought a small tiger conch on sale that has really exceeded expectations on cleaning the sandbed. I keep area's on the rocks clean with astrea's along with a few cerinths and have really seen a difference over time. From my experience its just a matter of time until everything levels off. 

How do you like the AI prime on your tank? I was debating between the prime and kessil but still haven't made a purchase! I liked the idea of controlling the lighting from an app instead of having to buy an extra controller as with the kessil...

ATO is a must. inTank basket is the closest second. Sicce pumps are so quiet you'll wonder if it's on. This advice applies to any tank. I don't have the evo so listen to someone else regarding lights. 

clownin around

what's your livestock/food imput? i used to feed mysis much more but found all that leftover mysis ended up as bioaccumulation was upping nitrates and algae so I switched to pellets and occasional mysis to make sure i wasn't having extra food decaying around the tank

Skimmers don't replace water changes which remove a lot of waste and replenish elements. Skimmers on nano's can actually strip essential elements which makes water changes even more important.

The maxijets are notorious noise makers and microbubble machines. Sicces are great. 

Ai Prime is an awesome light. I love how easy it is to control and not having to buy a controller is even better.

Don't have an ato- manual daily top up takes 2 mins.

I don't run bioballs because if they aren't maintained(cleaned) they can become a nutrient issue.

Using phos reducers in small frequent qty will help lower the algae but if the cause isn't addressed and corrected, it will just continue to reoccur.

Algae/nutrient issues are caused by the following.

Over feeding

Feeding too much frozen food 

Not vacuuming sand

Not switching floss enough

Not rinsing media bags between switches

Not cleaning filters or back chambers

Not using turkey baster on rocks

Over stocking

Rocks leaching

TheBig053

The AI Prime HD is great so far.  I just set it up a day ago, so still acclimating the tank at lower intensity settings. I like being able to control it from an app on my phone instead of buying a seperate a controller.  The color is also far superior to the stock lights.  I also looked at the kessil A80's but once you add in the cost of the controller the AI Prime just seemed like more light for your buck. 

I wonder if the frozen reef "plankton" i've been feeding the fish (two oscellaris clowns) and spot feeding some corals with is the culprit. I think the frozen blocks consist of mysis and zooplankton.  I turn off all the pumps at feeding time to limit the food blowing around the tank and target feed the corals and fish with a small droppper.  I have been feeding this every other day and supplementing with some pellets.  Maybe i'll try going primarily pellets and only target feed corals once a week. 

I bought a jebao SW-2 with wave controller last night. I also have a plan to hide the koralia 425 behind some rock so the tank doesn't look powerhead dominated. So we'll see if I can figure out this flow thing once and for all. 

I also think its time to beef up the cleaning crew. At present I have one turbo, one trochus, two nassarius, and two hermits. I think I will add a few ceriths as I believe they will eat both algae and left over food. 

Anyways, sorry for hijacking your thread clownin'!

I'm choosing between 

Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 Pump - 251 GPH 

or

Eheim Compact Pump 1000 - 265GPH

Eheim pump is almost twice cheaper and has much better reviews on amazon (Syncra 1.0 reviews are bad). 

Somebody tried 

Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector? It will fit? 

TheBig053
31 minutes ago, EvilFish said:

I'm choosing between 

Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 Pump - 251 GPH 

or

Eheim Compact Pump 1000 - 265GPH

Eheim pump is almost twice cheaper and has much better reviews on amazon (Syncra 1.0 reviews are bad). 

Somebody tried 

Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector? It will fit? 

Yes, I have tried the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector on the stock EVO pump and was not impressed.  It decreased the overall output flow from the return.  I took it off after a few days and reattached the flow directors to the output.  Perhaps it would work better on a more powerful pump?

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

Yes, I have tried the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector on the stock EVO pump and was not impressed.  It decreased the overall output flow from the return.  I took it off after a few days and reattached the flow directors to the output.  Perhaps it would work better on a more powerful pump?

How it's look inside the tank? Not too big? 

Thanks 

TheBig053
7 minutes ago, EvilFish said:

How it's look inside the tank? Not too big? 

Thanks 

I didnt find it all that obtrusive.

Feeding phytoplankton will increase nutrients in the tank. 

Foods for feeding coral which are good is reef roids, coral frenzy, oyster feast but if you have fish then feeding small amounts 2 times a week is enough. 

I have the jebao sw-2 in my 15g, that and my filter is enough, i got rid of all other powerheads as the sw2 is very powerful

TheBig053

Only downside to the AI Prime HD?  The DIY lid from BRS that I just put together. 

TheBigO, your aquarium lid! Woof!  

Oh well, it will work tenporarily and is way better than the eggcrate lid I had on there for two days.  I'd rather just put the $40 i could spend on another kit towards a nice lid from artfully acrylic.

I have no complaints about the Ai Prime. Love it. 

I had eggcrate and it does hinder lighting a bit, it is a light diffuser.

I built my own mesh lid with window framing and mesh from the lfs. Works great.

TheBig053

Yeah, that wasn't really a complaint about the light. Just poking fun at my horrible screen lid building skills. 

I never understood why Fluval put the PS2 skimmer in chamber 1 and the filters in chamber 2.

Im getting alot of debris and im sure nitrate buildup using the stock block sponge in chamber 2.

Has anyone tried to move the PS2 skimmer in chamber 2, and build a media basket with filter floss in chamber 1?  It looks like chamber 2 skimmer placement just needs to be lifted 2" from the base to be even to the original height.

I would imagine that it would be better method with Filter Floss in Chamber 1, PS2 Skimmer in Chamber 2, and return heater pump in Chamber 3. Has anyone tried this setup on a evo 13.5g Tank?

clownin around

I made an egg crate basket for the second chamber but agree, having the basket in chamber 1 would be better overall. Some sediments and food do end up sinking to the bottom of chamber 1 and having a filter in there would cut down on waste buildup and help keep the backside cleaner.

Just put a diy basket in chamber 1. See if that works.  I didn't understand the design myself.

In aio's the media basket is where the intake grill is, floss kept at the top to collect all particles, all other media below.

I would never use sponges in sw. Nitrate factory.

Changed out for a filter pad with media basket on chamber 1 and ps2 skimmer in chamber 2. Had to create a egg basket to lift the skimmer about 1.5 inches higher. 

Worked so much better than stock configuration. 

Current tank upgrade:

-Media basket in chamber 1

- PS2 skimmer in chamber 2 lifted about 1.5"

- Aquion 50w heater, Sicce 1.0 Return pump, and Hydor ATO in chamber 3

- Cheapy circ. pump inside tank that actually works really well

- Clip on 6fan on side of tank connected to temp controller. 

Anyone try a chaeto refugium in the below chamber 1? I have room there but not sure what to use for a led light source. 

20170507130019s.jpg

20170507_120031.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hipertec said:

Changed out for a filter pad with media basket on chamber 1 and ps2 skimmer in chamber 2. Had to create a egg basket to lift the skimmer about 1.5 inches higher. 

Worked so much better than stock configuration. 

Current tank upgrade:

-Media basket in chamber 1

- PS2 skimmer in chamber 2 lifted about 1.5"

- Aquion 50w heater, Sicce 1.0 Return pump, and Hydor ATO in chamber 3

- Cheapy circ. pump inside tank that actually works really well

- Clip on 6fan on side of tank connected to temp controller. 

Anyone try a chaeto refugium in the below chamber 1? I have room there but not sure what to use for a led light source. 

20170507130019s.jpg

20170507_120031.jpg

Nice!!!

How good and silent is fluval skimmer?