ReefCleaners.org

Mantis Shrimp: Liveaquaria option

pgrVII

Hey all, so I've been looking over options for a smaller mantis shrimp for the goon as its 25 gallons,so naturally I looked on live aquaria (among other places) and saw they had, "Lime Green" Mantis Shrimp,Gonodactylaceus spp.is all they had listed. Anyone have exp.ordering here? Or anyone know what variety to expect? I put a pic up that they provide. I just don't want it to be a total crap shoot :rolleyes:

p-80612-shrimp.jpg

not sure myself, but I would imagine based on pic and description it is a Peacock. Live-Aquaria does a pretty good job shipping.

5 minutes ago, Boggers said:

not sure myself, but I would imagine based on pic and description it is a Peacock. Live-Aquaria does a pretty good job shipping.

I've heard good things about thier shipping. Im thinking maybe Gonodactylaceus falcatus ? Just wanna make sure i have the appropriate setup for my selection.

you might be right, I went onto Live_aquaria and it says size 3-4 in and that matches a smithii better than the 7 in peacock.

6 minutes ago, Boggers said:

you might be right, I went onto Live_aquaria and it says size 3-4 in and that matches a smithii better than the 7 in peacock.

Yea im not real sure,i emailed them to ask if they could get a definitive for me. Hopefully they can figure it out. I'vealso considered an Odontodactylus havanensis, i know they require a stable tank more so than other species which isnt a big deal for me to keep after.

Derrick1980

Hey I don't know if they have that exact shrimp but I wanted to say I have ordered from saltwaterfish.com and the shipping and service was great.  They also have corals.

kimberbee

Don't know much about mantises, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either Live Aquaria or KPAquatics. 

3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Don't know much about mantises, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either Live Aquaria or KPAquatics. 

Yea kp I've talked with about the Odontodactylus havanensis,good folks there.

kimberbee

Soooooo excited for this!! I want to do a mantis tank one day. Wish they listed recommended tank sizes for the different mantises too. Did you get any insight into that?

Just now, kimberbee said:

Soooooo excited for this!! I want to do a mantis tank one day. Wish they listed recommended tank sizes for the different mantises too. Did you get any insight into that?

I've been researching this for my own hopefully soon mantis tank.  This is a list of species and size and tank and stuff. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Just now, kimberbee said:

Yes theres a good thread on here,and here http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html

Super helpful!

Just now, lkoechle said:

I've been researching this for my own hopefully soon mantis tank.  This is a list of species and size and tank and stuff. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Lol?

Archived