SaltCritters.com

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

The storage under my tanks are a hot mess, I really need to clean it up when I move. 

I always loved floating canopys and would love to have something like this someday....

1-of-4-see-profile-for-additional-images

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The storage under my tanks are a hot mess, I really need to clean it up when I move. 

I always loved floating canopys and would love to have something like this someday....

I couldn’t sleep at night knowing there was a crazy mess under there...... messiness stresses me out. 

That canopy is very cool. I would be down for that if I had the perfect wall. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

He freaks me out when he does the red eye look. 

El Diablo has been moving around a bit more but I worry that he’s not eating great. Maybe he does it when I’m not looking too, though. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Reminds me of the lid being left up on the john.  "Hey!  Who left the canopy up again!?"  😄

Seems functionally sketchy.

Reasons to have this canopy:

• Blocks light spill.  Nope
  • Keeps fish in.  Nope
  • Blocks view of lighting mess.   Semi.

If I was gonna do anything like this, I'd put it on actuators connected to the stand behind the tank so the canopy could be sitting on the tank normally but at the press of a button it could be lifted up like in the picture for maintenance or whatever else.

https://www.google.com/search?q=linear+actuator

e.g.:

image.png.4f0c67f5414fb831108b036e1e7dacb4.png

(What I'd really do is save the money and effort so I could upgrade to lights that looked good or lights that were close to invisible....either one is possible these days.)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Reminds me of the lid being left up on the john.  "Hey!  Who left the canopy up again!?"  😄

Seems functionally sketchy.

Reasons to have this canopy:

• Blocks light spill.  Nope
  • Keeps fish in.  Nope
  • Blocks view of lighting mess.   Semi.

If I was gonna do anything like this, I'd put it on actuators connected to the stand behind the tank so the canopy could be sitting on the tank normally but at the press of a button it could be lifted up like in the picture for maintenance or whatever else.

https://www.google.com/search?q=linear+actuator

e.g.:

image.png.4f0c67f5414fb831108b036e1e7dacb4.png

(What I'd really do is save the money and effort so I could upgrade to lights that looked good or lights that were close to invisible....either one is possible these days.)

Meh it looks more modern to me. It does block the glare from lights.

The older style that sits on the tank just looks old to me...made for rimmed tanks.

• Like 3
On 8/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

So they need to make one that works like our baby bakers— 

I’d like to sleep in a pod like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’d like to sleep in a pod like that.

Oh probably not. It's sealed like it is to promote humidity. That compartment at the very end near the bottom is for distilled water to make said humidity, and they keep the thing around 98 degrees. It's a portable, artificial womb. But the lid does lift up like that when you hit the button, which is pretty cool. And it comes with a UV light for bili babies- maybe someone could seal the edges and whatnot and make a really cool fish tank with this thing??? 🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

maybe someone could seal the edges and whatnot and make a really cool fish tank with this thing??? 🤔🤔🤔

7849DF63-6002-4B64-9FE6-057B112970BD.jpeg.a8b2ca90d6c22899e992cdb964b407a0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh probably not. It's sealed like it is to promote humidity. That compartment at the very end near the bottom is for distilled water to make said humidity, and they keep the thing around 98 degrees. It's a portable, artificial womb. But the lid does lift up like that when you hit the button, which is pretty cool. And it comes with a UV light for bili babies- maybe someone could seal the edges and whatnot and make a really cool fish tank with this thing??? 🤔🤔🤔

You do realize that's how we found out about actinic lighting? For a while in the 80s hospitals were having a hell of a time sourcing actinic lights because of reef tanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

UV

It was 450nm blue light for this purpose at our hospital.  

Wouldn't UV be dangerous to the baby like it is to us grown folk?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

It's used to treat bilirubin anemia. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You do realize that's how we found out about actinic lighting? For a while in the 80s hospitals were having a hell of a time sourcing actinic lights because of reef tanks.

Well no, because I was a baby in 81...... but that's pretty funny-- maybe we should go full circle and make a tank out of a Giraffe Omnibed that EVERYONE wants, but can't get their hands on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Gotta bake the babies--the omnibed is really for premies though because they're the ones that need the womb treatment. Older babies closer to full term that just need bili therapy get a bili pad or bili light but not the whole isolette. Or we tell them to feed/sit with them in the sunlight. Bili issues have become more of an issue with the rise of breast feeding popularity--most BF babies end up with higher bilirubin.

1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

It's used to treat bilirubin anemia. 

It's not a-nemia. They don't lack red blood cells. It's hyperbilirubinemia--just too much bili IN the blood because they don't convert it correctly. It's like having your skimmer broken and the toxic waste stays in the water..... nitrates climb.... bad things start to happen

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

A1354DB8-12CF-491E-B5CE-15DE4FD2F4D8.thumb.jpeg.0d7fb25696afa3ad1cec51364eb4bfcd.jpeg

for real. There'd be some ignorant people out there that'd try that. The bili light isn't in the same frequency for tanning lights. It's in the blue-green spectrum at 400-520nm now. Now, the heat lamp on the infant warmers and isolates will legit bake a baby and give them a sun burn.

Everyone's neonatology lesson for the day--stay in the womb until 40 weeks, get lots of sunlight if getting the boob juice, if that's not enough, get some rays at the hospital with cool baby blinders and try not to get baked by the bed you're staying in. Oh and neonates are like little angry old man aliens. And the doctors are all weirdos and have to do everything by committee. 

The End.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

There is just something about that Pavona that gets them in the mood. 🤷🏻‍♀️

What is it with your lusty star critters

• Haha 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.