Top Shelf Aquatics

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

Pavona are such awesome corals, love that growth pattern. It's a shame you seem to have a crapshot as to whether they want everything within a foot of them dead and buried with their families, children, and pets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Creepy creepy things.

I love them.  I’m not sure why they like that particular coral so much though. 

Just now, Amphrites said:

Pavona are such awesome corals, love that growth pattern.

I do too! I don’t know why they aren’t more popular. I can’t wait till this one gets really big. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Well, they have a reputation for being more than just easy and beautiful lol, has yours shown any signs of aggression at all?

Not yet...... but there isn’t anything that close to it right now. 

• Like 2
On 8/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, WV Reefer said:

I don’t know why they aren’t more popular.

I wonder if Pavona aren't maybe in the category of being finicky?  In spite of 90% of the literature in our hobby referring to them as easy, that hasn't been my experience.  

I bought a decent sized rescue frag ("Potato chip" species) that, with intermittent growth spurts, took something like 4 years to die...while among a tank that was booming full of massive SPS colonies...then it was just a protrusion on my live rock for something like 6 years....and then after his rock being transplanted to a new tank (the new 125g) he's now back from the dead and growing at a rapid pace....about doubling in size since i noticed him growing back a month or two ago.

I've had a few corals stage comebacks from apparent death, but I still find this case with the Pavona to be utterly baffling...a state that's made even more intense because I have other large SPS colonies that have been dying off.

Is this the Thanos coral that withers when everyone else prospers and then prospers when others wither???

I'm enjoying the comeback and taking pictures.....but I do not get it.  This coral was never happy when the rest of the tank was happy.   LOL

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Pavona are anything but easy. The only "easier" ones came out of Fiji and with them shut down, you'd have to find someone with a colony.

That's wild, I guess most take for granted how common they are and don't think to check their animal's origins. I wonder if that's why they have such a mixed reputation, maybe some are more or less aggressive as well?

Do those not from Fiji tend to experience the bizarre sudden-colony-collapse that MCarrol was describing? Or are they rough to keep going for other reasons?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That's wild, I guess most take for granted how common they are and don't think to check their animal's origins. I wonder if that's why they have such a mixed reputation, maybe some are more or less aggressive as well?

Do those not from Fiji tend to experience the bizarre sudden-colony-collapse that MCarrol was describing? Or are they rough to keep going for other reasons?

I don't know what the issue is with them. I've had ones that did great and others that didn't in the same coral run. When I was importing them, each country had its own run so there was no chance of cross contamination. My theory is it's the depth they're collected at, the deeper ones do better than the shallower specimens. We had one that hung around for the better part of a year. One part died off so I broke it off and the rest did well. I do think that they are more sensitive than others to nitrates and other pollutants. The one below we kept in this tank for a month and it stopped growing. We moved it to another tank and the growth took off like a bat out of hell. I still have a part of the colony, its growing very slow again.

blHTKsF.jpg

• Like 3

I wonder if it's a game of look-alikes again and in ten years they'll have their own taxanomic description.
I remember reading an article a while back claiming most lepto's are technically pavona and vice-versa, then goni and alveopora weren't related and instead are relatives of porites and acropora respectively...
What crazy animals, perhaps those being collected are simply coming from unrealistically-clean, high-flow, and shallow water similar to how some of the torch colonies from australia were near-impossible to keep around because they used to be collected from crazy-high-flow river deltas?

• Like 5
On 8/23/2019 at 9:10 AM, Amphrites said:

I wonder if it's a game of look-alikes again and in ten years they'll have their own taxanomic description.
I remember reading an article a while back claiming most lepto's are technically pavona and vice-versa, then goni and alveopora weren't related and instead are relatives of porites and acropora respectively...
What crazy animals, perhaps those being collected are simply coming from unrealistically-clean, high-flow, and shallow water similar to how some of the torch colonies from australia were near-impossible to keep around because they used to be collected from crazy-high-flow river deltas?

I asked Walt about them and he said they come from lower flow areas, sorta in the valleys so they're protected. As for the water, they're pretty far off shore so I'd say clean lower flow waters. As for Gonis and Alveoporas, they come from cess pools. You need to do the bottle feeding of them daily to make them REALLY grow. I have a few that came in as hitch hikers from an unnamed origin. I've been  feeding those little shits and they're growing like a house on fire. They were about 2cm 6 months ago and now they're pushing 8cm.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I asked Walt about them and he said they come from lower flow areas, sorta in the valleys so they're protected. As for the water, they're pretty far off shore so I'd say clean lower flow waters. As for Gonis and Alveoporas, they come from cess pools. You need to do the bottle feeding of them daily to make them REALLY grow. I have a few that came in as hitch hikers from an unnamed origin. I've been  feeding those little shits and they're growing like a house on fire. They were about 2cm 6 months ago and now they're pushing 8cm.

They all seem to like my dirty tank so thats that’s good enough for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They all seem to like my dirty tank so thats that’s good enough for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️😄

My collector told me once that some of the deltas he collects off of looks like the shit water coming out of cousin Eddie's RV in Christmas Vacation, lol. Next year I'm gonna see if he was shitting me or not because we're going collecting.

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

That sounds like an unbelievable trip, I'd say take some photos but it sounds like you might have an easier time getting good video of a Florida bayou XD

It's going to be a nice trip. Since we started the business 10 years ago we haven't taken off more than 4 days at a time. Next 2 years are going to be busy with moving the business to NC and the trip. Once we get back from there I want to dive Truk lagoon before all of the ships are gone. M's grandfather sunk one of the ships there and she's keen to see it. We both want to go back to Thailand again and The Philippines as well.

• Like 4

Where in North Carolina are you headed? At some point, if my body ever manages to get itself back together, I need to get out to the east, or at least back to my big island home.

Sorry for the minor hijack >_<

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Where in North Carolina are you headed? At some point, if my body ever manages to get itself back together, I need to get out to the east, or at least back to my big island home.

No apology needed. 😊

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

How do you like the radions so far??

I’ve had them since the beginning of the tank....... they are great. I had never used them without the T5s and I’m liking it much better. The T5s were just a pain in the ass.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

A little town down on the south coast called Oriental, NC. We went there a few years ago and fell in love with the place. When the move starts I'm going to have to have pads poured and the steel buildings I have here moved there as well as the 4 of the machines from my machine shop, the rest will be sold. I'll be moving the solar farm as well.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’ve had them since the beginning of the tank....... they are great. I had never used them without the T5s and I’m liking it much better. The T5s were just a pain in the ass.  

Ahhh I see.. I have always wanted t5 but it's way to easy to swing the kessils out of the way during a wc.. plus the t5 just looks too bulky for me 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Ahhh I see.. I have always wanted t5 but it's way to easy to swing the kessils out of the way during a wc.. plus the t5 just looks too bulky for me 

I was the opposite: I liked a bulky fixture to balance out the large stand. But I really haven’t missed the T5s and the room does look bigger without the giant light fixture. 

• Like 2

Up skirt pic:

DA07668C-F86A-41F6-97DE-93AF8365C42F.thumb.jpeg.06af7dcf8b016b0079ce9db8715ca087.jpeg

nice and neat. 😊 

I have the pest tank running under there with pods from the minicomplete tank. Debating on shutting it down now that Rico died in the 12 gallon...... not as much need for pods. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.