Pod Your Reef

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

A Little Blue

I bought Pectinia a while back (rainbow or something they call it). Do you know the name of yours? Looks kinda similar but hard to tell with that blue hue. 

Mr. Thein from Tidal Gardens recommends mid light/flow. What are your thoughts? Also, I have never tried feeding it directly even though some recommend it. Cool vids btw. Gonna have to shoot some myself someday. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I bought Pectinia a while back (rainbow or something they call it). Do you know the name of yours? Looks kinda similar but hard to tell with that blue hue. 

Mr. Thein from Tidal Gardens recommends mid light/flow. What are your thoughts? Also, I have never tried feeding it directly even though some recommend it. Cool vids btw. Gonna have to shoot some myself someday. 

Thanks. 😊

Mine is supposedly a Rainbow Pectinia...... it’s purple, green, red and a bit of orange. I like it because it always looks sparkly. It is in pretty good light and flow. I don’t feed my corals directly but I have seen it grab stuff when the pumps are off. It has rrrreeeeaaalllyyyy long sweepers at night. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thanks. 😊

Mine is supposedly a Rainbow Pectinia...... it’s purple, green, red and a bit of orange. I like it because it always looks sparkly. It is in pretty good light and flow. I don’t feed my corals directly but I have seen it grab stuff when the pumps are off. It has rrrreeeeaaalllyyyy long sweepers at night. 

Sweepers! Long! I need to pay more attention. I thought it was harmless. I have noticed my red sponge getting stung by something. The only thing nearby was Pectinia. I’ve moved it somewhere else since. 

Thanks for tip. 

• Like 2
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Sweepers! Long! I need to pay more attention. I thought it was harmless. I have noticed my red sponge getting stung by something. The only thing nearby was Pectinia. I’ve moved it somewhere else since. 

Thanks for tip. 

They are known to be super f*cking mean. Beware. ☠️😀

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

Looking great! What do you use for pics? Mine look like shit and need something better...........

My iPhone straight up. 😊

• Wow 2
17 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

My iPhone straight up. 😊

I don’t know how you do it then because I just get BLUE. By then I’ve got an LED. I did download a DSLR app that seems to be able to get past a lot of the blue though, called DSLR. It was .99. I like it so far.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

I don’t know how you do it then because I just get BLUE. By then I’ve got an LED. I did download a DSLR app that seems to be able to get past a lot of the blue though, called DSLR. It was .99. I like it so far.

I have to wait for the perfect time of day.  

This tank has an LED/T5 combo. It’s almost impossible to get pics when the bulbs are on.  

10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have to wait for the perfect time of day.  

This tank has an LED/T5 combo. It’s almost impossible to get pics when the bulbs are on.  

I’m still learning about lights and specifics. What are T5s? I had to get an Orbit because it did thunderstorms. That was the highest priority for the 9 year old on the lights. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

I’m still learning about lights and specifics. What are T5s? I had to get an Orbit because it did thunderstorms. That was the highest priority for the 9 year old on the lights. 

T5s are bulbs. my lights are a combo of Radion xr15 LEDs and 4 48” T5 bulbs.

Here’s a pic before hanging: 

There are two bulbs in the front. Two Radion xr15 LEDs in the middle. And two bulbs in the back.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Was an iPhone 7.......Recently got the Xr. 

Oh ok so your rich :lol: no way I am dropping that much on a phone..............but a coral :unsure:

4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

T5s are bulbs. my lights are a combo of Radion xr15 LEDs and 4 48” T5 bulbs.

Here’s a pic before hanging: 

There are two bulbs in the front. Two Radion xr15 LEDs in the middle. And two bulbs in the back.  

You need to turn it upside down to show the T5s............

• Haha 2
A Little Blue

Taking pics with an iPhone or any other smartphone is challenging to say the least. There are few apps, add on lenses that might help some. But there are limitations. Good point and shoot or entry level dslr camera with brown or orange filter that goes over lens optics is the way to go if you really want to get those true to live pictures. 

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

They are known to be super f*cking mean. Beware. ☠️😀

I had no idea😯 Thanks👍

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Taking pics with an iPhone or any other smartphone is challenging to say the least. There are few apps, add on lenses that might help some. But there are limitations. Good point and shoot or entry level dslr camera with brown or orange filter that goes over lens optics is the way to go if you really want to get those true to live pictures. 

I saw you can get those on amazon. They just clip on the phone. My tanks nowhere near pretty enough to brag that much yet 😔. I’ll wait until there’s actual growth to invest in real pictures like WV Reefer’s beauty pics. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

I saw you can get those on amazon. They just clip on the phone. My tanks nowhere near pretty enough to brag that much yet 😔. I’ll wait until there’s actual growth to invest in real pictures like WV Reefer’s beauty pics. 

You have to start somewhere............no tank is ugly........well is there just GSP in there..........

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

You have to start somewhere............no tank is ugly........well is there just GSP in there..........

Okay educate me- what’s GSP?? 😬

• Haha 3
Just now, Nursecop818 said:

Ohhhhhh yes there’s a few. But no they’re definitely not the only ones. 

I love GSP............it just needs its own area..........

I try to grow it on my back wall of the tank.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

I love GSP............it just needs its own area..........

I try to grow it on my back wall of the tank.

My branching GSP finally started up the wall.  I’m about ready to cut it loose from the main rock. 

EDF2416D-6246-4219-B402-5EB0FC37F935.thumb.jpeg.6fbb31c4ec17495934900a956def5df8.jpeg

• Like 4

I gave all my branching away..........

Saved a small patch I tore of my overflow that was normal GSP........well it was in with the pistol and yashi and they buried it :lol: now its growing up...........

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.