Top Shelf Aquatics

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I get algae with flakes but unrinsed frozen is no problem and the juice feeds the coral  and  small  organisms. I think frozen food like LRS is healthier than dry foods imo.

This is what I'm feeding for frozen, when I actually feed it. I used to feed this all the time up till I switched to mainly flakes.

IMG_20190120_152007.jpg

IMG_20190120_151939.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

This is what I'm feeding for frozen, when I actually feed it. I used to feed this all the time up till I switched to mainly flakes.

IMG_20190120_152007.jpg

IMG_20190120_151939.jpg

Looks good to me.  I have all of those plus some others.  I like using a variety of food......keeps the fish healthier. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
27 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks good to me.  I have all of those plus some others.  I like using a variety of food......keeps the fish healthier. 

I forget the nori sheets lol.

• Like 1

Not sure why but I hate feeding flakes. I feed the same brand but pellet with garlic.  Got some frozen variety foods but they need to be replaced. All freezer burnt.  

Then I have reef roids and reef blizzard-o

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, patback said:

Not sure why but I hate feeding flakes. I feed the same brand but pellet with garlic.  Got some frozen variety foods but they need to be replaced. All freezer burnt.  

Then I have reef roids and reef blizzard-o

Flakes smell yucky too. 

LRS fish frenzy is basically everything in 1 pack. Their website shows how they make it: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/our-ingredients.html

Anyone concerned with the long term effects of garlic? 

There was some evidence posted in a study that garlic damaged the liver and kidneys of fish. It was high doses but I just use it for new fish/picky fish, not long term as fish don't eat garlic in the wild and I am not certain it is healthy for them so I try to stay away. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

LRS fish frenzy is basically everything in 1 pack. Their website shows how they make it: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/our-ingredients.html

There was some evidence posted in a study that garlic damaged the liver and kidneys of fish. It was high doses but I just use it for new fish/picky fish, not long term as fish don't eat garlic in the wild and I am not certain it is healthy for them so I try to stay away. 

I’ve read that also. 

49 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Garlic is a HUGE no no in my tanks just for the gastric issues. Many studies have been done showing that it scars the ENTIRE GI tract. If you have an issue, use Praziquantel for internal parasites, not voodoo cures thought up by people who are looking to line their own pockets.

• Like 4
Just now, debbeach13 said:

DAM I just ordered garlic for the first time ever. I wanted to get some clown gobies and was going to use it if they didn't eat. Oh well

😄🙁 😐

17 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Flakes smell yucky too. 

I'm a freak and love the smell of fish food.  Used to feed the freshwater fish i had when I was little multiple times a day cuz I loved it so much. 

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Garlic is a HUGE no no in my tanks just for the gastric issues. Many studies have been done showing that it scars the ENTIRE GI tract. If you have an issue, use Praziquantel for internal parasites, not voodoo cures thought up by people who are looking to line their own pockets.

I never heard of it being used medicinally. Just enticing to fish that are finicky eaters. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, patback said:

I never heard of it being used medicinally. Just enticing to fish that are finicky eaters. 

i forget who the first one was that marketed it for internal parasites was. This was back in the 90s.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Look at what was used in the study, Nile Perch. Like my friend says, follow the money when it comes to a new additive. I want know if any of those researchers received any money from businesses that produced foods containing garlic. If they did, their findings are suspect at best. Back in the 80s people said garlic would rid your dog of fleas when all it did was cause kidney issues. Caveat emptor.

• Like 5

@StinkyBunny my Abalone just “released” (🤭) a whole cloud and then fell off the glass....... is he dying or just exhausted? 😅

I don’t feed it because I assumed it eats at night when it out cruising the glass.  

• Haha 2
A Little Blue
On 1/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Look at what was used in the study, Nile Perch. Like my friend says, follow the money when it comes to a new additive. I want know if any of those researchers received any money from businesses that produced foods containing garlic. If they did, their findings are suspect at best. Back in the 80s people said garlic would rid your dog of fleas when all it did was cause kidney issues. Caveat emptor.

Skepticism is understandable and I don’t know the motives that would incentivize ppl to lie and hype the story behind garlic power (not really sure if that’s what they’re doing). If they have lied then so did thousands of study papers over the past 60 years. All I am saying is that it (garlic power) might not necessarily be all snake oil as some suggested. Either way, I don’t think your fish will come near any harm if you decided to use pure garlic, extract of garlic or garlic infused fish food. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26500024_Pharmacological_Effects_of_Garlic_Allium_sativum_L

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

@StinkyBunny my Abalone just “released” (🤭) a whole cloud and then fell off the glass....... is he dying or just exhausted? 😅

I don’t feed it because I assumed it eats at night when it out cruising the glass.  

Did you get it a smoke :unsure:

• Haha 4

The pisser with those guys is that they are off all of my Philippines lists and nobody wants to tell me why. I have probably 30 in the runs and home tanks and I want more. They're like furry little tanks that don't knock shit over. Sorry you lost your abalone.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The pisser with those guys is that they are off all of my Philippines lists and nobody wants to tell me why. I have probably 30 in the runs and home tanks and I want more. They're like furry little tanks that don't knock shit over. Sorry you lost your abalone.

I loved it and not sure why it killed over suddenly. 

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I loved it and not sure why it killed over suddenly. 

They don't ship well which is heartbreaking. How long have you had it? I've had them keel over a week after they arrived and I don't have a damn clue why Christy. 😞

• Like 1
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

They don't ship well which is heartbreaking. How long have you had it? I've had them keel over a week after they arrived and I don't have a damn clue why Christy. 😞

Since like July. 

• WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.