Coral Vue Hydros

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

1 hour ago, Five.five-six said:

I love cyphastria and IMO it’s one of the more overlooked coral.  

I agree!

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s an awesome looking sponge! 

Do you have a name of it by any chance? 

It was sold as “Red Plating Sponge”.  I bought it and a “Purple Plating Sponge” at the same time...... they are both photosenthetic. I can’t get a good pic of the Purple one but they look like velvet......they have both grown a lot since I got them.  

• Like 1

Interesting, I thought sponges always liked little to no light. Like I find pale yellow ones in my overflow, in 100% shade, etc. They don’t get larger than a big pea for me though.

Sponges seem  soo.... spongey. Like a little light would cook them. I guess not! 

Do photosynthetic ones need lotsa nutrients? Or can they also thrive in low nutrients? Cool cheese.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I agree!

It was sold as “Red Plating Sponge”.  I bought it and a “Purple Plating Sponge” at the same time...... they are both photosenthetic. I can’t get a good pic of the Purple one but they look like velvet......they have both grown a lot since I got them.  

I like sponges and since they seem to like my tank, I am always looking for new species to add some diversity and color. 

Since they are photosynthetic, my next question is: what light intensity they seem to like in your opinion? 

That would give me a good starting point if I decided to get those guys for my tank. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Interesting, I thought sponges always liked little to no light. Like I find pale yellow ones in my overflow, in 100% shade, etc. They don’t get larger than a big pea for me though.

Sponges seem  soo.... spongey. Like a little light would cook them. I guess not! 

Do photosynthetic ones need lotsa nutrients? Or can they also thrive in low nutrients? Cool cheese.

All the ones that grow naturally in my tank are in darker places except for the bright yellow one. These new ones I have up high right under the Radions and they are slowly spiraling up.  

I first saw a purple one in Lawns tank and wanted one ever since. 

23 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I like sponges and since they seem to like my tank, I am always looking for new species to add some diversity and color. 

Since they are photosynthetic, my next question is: what light intensity they seem to like in your opinion? 

That would give me a good starting point if I decided to get those guys for my tank. 

These two are right under the Radions.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, specore said:

They look pretty good.  Doing anything special when you shoot video?

Not really.  🤷🏻‍♀️  I just try at different times of day because the room is sooo bright.  I have plenty of videos that are shit! 😂. The big tank has really thick glass so you have to be parallel to glass or the camera can’t focus ......so it is really hard to get pics in there.  The small tank is quite photogenic and takes a good one almost every time. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Snails making a run for it lol.

They are kinda dumb. I have two of them and when they smell food they come out of the sand hauling ass....... straight outta the tank. ??‍♀️

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are kinda dumb. I have two of them and when they smell food they come out of the sand hauling ass....... straight outta the tank. ??‍♀️

Do you end up having to put them back in? 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Do you end up having to put them back in? 

I have rescued them a number of times. One night I was sleeping and it sounded like a cue ball hitting the floor from 5ft up. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.