inTank Media Baskets

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

On 12/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, WV Reefer said:

Your tank looks great, just made it through all 21 hilarious pages!

I love pistol shrimps, they’re so cool. You might want to break up some of that extra rock you’ve got and give him some rubble and shells to use as building materials, he’d probably be less likely to go after frags. A few pieces every now and then would give him something to arrange without messing up your sand bed too much. 

I know you say you run your tanks filterless, does that mean no mechanical or chemical filtration either?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lynaea said:

Your tank looks great, just made it through all 21 hilarious pages!

I love pistol shrimps, they’re so cool. You might want to break up some of that extra rock you’ve got and give him some rubble and shells to use as building materials, he’d probably be less likely to go after frags. A few pieces every now and then would give him something to arrange without messing up your sand bed too much. 

I know you say you run your tanks filterless, does that mean no mechanical or chemical filtration either?

Thank you!  

I did toss in some bigger pieces of rubble after that but of course  they only want the frags. lol. That shrimp cracks me up the way he grabs and moves things. 

Both of my tanks run filterless and skimmerless with no dosing or additives. There have been a few issues in the smaller tank where I have added a HOB filter for a few hours to “polish” the water or suck out detritus but mostly it’s just water changes.  

Just caught another hermit running bare assed around the reef. :rolleyes:   Had to stop working to give him a shell.  — Left handed hermits are weirdos. 

• Haha 7
Snow_Phoenix
18 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Whoa. Nice footage! I love how he flipped around and quickly buried himself. So neat. Also, is he not a tiger pistol? Just curious, because my LFS brought in this exact shrimp once several years back but they called them Tiger pistols. Candycanes were the bright cherry red and white ones, I think. Either way, I still think he looks cool!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Whoa. Nice footage! I love how he flipped around and quickly buried himself. So neat. Also, is he not a tiger pistol? Just curious, because my LFS brought in this exact shrimp once several years back but they called them Tiger pistols. Candycanes were the bright cherry red and white ones, I think. Either way, I still think he looks cool!

Candy Cane is her name. :)  

She is Alpheus Bellulus aka Tiger Pistol Shrimp. 

She went rogue tonight and left her goby all alone. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
18 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Candy Cane is her name. :)  

She is Alpheus Bellulus aka Tiger Pistol Shrimp. 

She went rogue tonight and left her goby all alone. 

Ah! Lol, mine has dumped the goby as well. Still buried himself in my LR - ain't coming out anytime soon. These guys are honestly, so entertaining to watch. :lol:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Ah! Lol, mine has dumped the goby as well. Still buried himself in my LR - ain't coming out anytime soon. These guys are honestly, so entertaining to watch. :lol:

I don’t care what she does as long as she leaves my frags alone. I don’t like it when they try to redecorate the reef! 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I absolutely love Star Lord! Another blenny that I've always liked, but daren't keep is the Leopard Blenny. Their specific diet makes them so difficult to appease in the aquarium. Also, that Galaxea is badass. I had a small frag of Galaxea once (very, very long time ago) and it stung the crap out of anything and everything near it - so much so that it had a tiny frag-island devoted just for it. I also love the extension from your Goni! I nearly bought a Goni last week, but it was a colony and not a frag, so it was too big for me to keep. Gah, seeing all your awesome corals makes me want to keep a big tank again. I miss keeping colonies. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I absolutely love Star Lord! Another blenny that I've always liked, but daren't keep is the Leopard Blenny. Their specific diet makes them so difficult to appease in the aquarium. Also, that Galaxea is badass. I had a small frag of Galaxea once (very, very long time ago) and it stung the crap out of anything and everything near it - so much so that it had a tiny frag-island devoted just for it. I also love the extension from your Goni! I nearly bought a Goni last week, but it was a colony and not a frag, so it was too big for me to keep. Gah, seeing all your awesome corals makes me want to keep a big tank again. I miss keeping colonies. 

Star Lord rules this tank. He’s hard to get a pic of sometimes but his face cracks me up. :)  

That Galaxea is super mean...... you can see some sweeper tentacles in the video...... it’s always ready for a fight. 

Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Star Lord rules this tank. He’s hard to get a pic of sometimes but his face cracks me up. :)  

That Galaxea is super mean...... you can see some sweeper tentacles in the video...... it’s always ready for a fight. 

I bet it is!

Oh, and blenny faces are always so adorable. I once had a blenny with some odd facial markings. Honestly he looked like he was wearing lipstick. Poor dude didn't realize he was the butt of so many fish-jokes back at home. :lol:

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.