Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Welcome to the show. :)

What show :lol: hell its been 2 days and no pics...............................

Get with it already...................

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

What show :lol: hell its been 2 days and no pics...............................

Get with it already...................

:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, spectra said:

Oh don't bring the beer bros back :lol: 

But the beer bros are fun! :happydance: 

im nine pages in with no tank yet.... let's party! B)

• Like 2

Not many updates yet....

I'm still working on the scape. I can't quite settle on the rock to tank ratio.  

Gratuitous "rocks in a tub" shot:

IMG_0945.thumb.JPG.a0190f8bac359ceddb0e89eb614239ec.JPG

and since not not much is happening, here's a shot of my jugs just to keep things interesting:

IMG_0944.thumb.JPG.73c3ac192c5a5426eeafd1c7c0849bae.JPG

:lol:

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Travis said:

No RODI i assume? Lol been there 

I do have an RODI but I'm just loading up for the "big fill" this week and want to be front loaded. lol

Today I moved the tank out from the wall to accommodate the skimmer when/if the time comes.  I only had to move it out another inch but in a small house that inch counts!! 

In the next few days I plan to finish the scape and get this thing filled up!  Woo-hoo!! I'm still gathering/hoarding RODI so I won't have to make so much water this week. 

• Like 5

It's been two weeks of soaking rocks. First week in RODI to get the crud off and the second week in saltwater. I finally received my Hannah checker today and checked the phosphate in the bin and it was 0.69. So it looks like I've got more soaking to do. :mellow:  Getting ready to switch the water out now and will check again in a few days. 

With the small tanks I didn't worry about anything......I just tossed the dry rock straight into the tank after a brief soaking..... Didn't dip corals......Everything ended up fine. But with this tank I find myself much more cautious. :excl:

• Like 4
6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Today I moved the tank out from the wall to accommodate the skimmer when/if the time comes.  I only had to move it out another inch but in a small house that inch counts!! 

I couldn't agree more....every inch counts.

-Nice looking rock, btw! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jack1978 said:

I couldn't agree more....every inch counts.

-Nice looking rock, btw! 

Thanks.  :)

Are we talking about the same thing?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

It's been two weeks of soaking rocks. First week in RODI to get the crud off and the second week in saltwater. I finally received my Hannah checker today and checked the phosphate in the bin and it was 0.69. So it looks like I've got more soaking to do. :mellow:  Getting ready to switch the water out now and will check again in a few days. 

With the small tanks I didn't worry about anything......I just tossed the dry rock straight into the tank after a brief soaking..... Didn't dip corals......Everything ended up fine. But with this tank I find myself much more cautious. :excl:

You got the Pukani rock, right?  Plenty of room for yucky crud in that much lol

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You got the Pukani rock, right?  Plenty of room for yucky crud in that much lol

Yep.  Some pieces had so much crud inside they were not usable. I don't know what it was.... sponges maybe?  It was black and still wet inside. Verrrry stinky. 

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Is that all you have soaked it in?

When I first got mine it soaked in a vinegar bath for a few days. Then into just water for a few then into salt and some bacteria to seed it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Is that all you have soaked it in?

When I first got mine it soaked in a vinegar bath for a few days. Then into just water for a few then into salt and some bacteria to seed it.

First I did about a week of RODI circulating, scrubbing, rinsing and repeating. Now it's been a little over a week in saltwater circulating and heating.  

47 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

First I did about a week of RODI circulating, scrubbing, rinsing and repeating. Now it's been a little over a week in saltwater circulating and heating.  

I think the vinegar helps clean it kind of like an acid bath just not as worse........

Mine had some crap in them but not to bad.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Yep.  Some pieces had so much crud inside they were not usable. I don't know what it was.... sponges maybe?  It was black and still wet inside. Verrrry stinky. 

EWWW I think I threw up a little lol :wacko:  So disgusting!

Try the vinegar bath for those pieces maybe?  Ew ew ew (ew ew ew) ew...

• Like 2
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

EWWW I think I threw up a little lol :wacko:  So disgusting!

Try the vinegar bath for those pieces maybe?  Ew ew ew (ew ew ew) ew...

Yeah, those pieces couldn't even be used. G-R-O-S-S. 

the "chosen ones" were all pretty clean and I drilled through them to be sure. :closedeyes:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah, those pieces couldn't even be used. G-R-O-S-S. 

the "chosen ones" were all pretty clean and I drilled through them to be sure. :closedeyes:

Maybe that's why the cat was so interested...

• Like 3
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe that's why the cat was so interested...

I never thought about that...... she smelled all that nasty in there!  :blink:

• Haha 1
Just now, WV Reefer said:

I never thought about that...... she smelled all that nasty in there!  :blink:

Did she seem more interested in particular rocks?  Wondering if the grosser ones were more interesting to her lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Did she seem more interested in particular rocks?  Wondering if the grosser ones were more interesting to her lol

Actually, one of the rocks I chose was one of her favorites. :mellow:

The gross rocks were the ones that seemed more dense than the others. Not sure if that was actually true or they were just wet inside.  They fell apart when drilling or chiseling.....It's like I broke the seal. 

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Actually, one of the rocks I chose was one of her favorites. :mellow:

The gross rocks were the ones that seemed more dense than the others. Not sure if that was actually true or they were just wet inside.  They fell apart when drilling or chiseling.....It's like I broke the seal. 

Broke the seal...and unveiled the nasty! :o

• Like 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.