Innovative Marine Aquariums

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thank you. She’s a good girl. They are great dogs but need room to run out their demons. 😄

Gah, if ever I get the privilege of owning one, I'll take him/her on my daily walks/runs. My first therapy dog was very good and strong enough to go on runs/walks with me, even though she was just a terrier mix. My current dog is too small and has a lower energy streak, so I can't bring her out of the house compound very often. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Gah, if ever I get the privilege of owning one, I'll take him/her on my daily walks/runs. My first therapy dog was very good and strong enough to go on runs/walks with me, even though she was just a terrier mix. My current dog is too small and has a lower energy streak, so I can't bring her out of the house compound very often. 

Then you would do fine with one I think.  Also you have to be prepared for the hair tsunami that follows a husky around. 

• Haha 2

Then you would do fine with one I think.  Also you have to be prepared for the hair tsunami that follows a husky around. 

Oh, yes - the shedding! I've watched vids of Husky owners grooming their dogs - the amount of fur they pull off is enough to 'make' another Husky! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I would kind of like to see that. 🤭

poor turtle.  

Poor turtle indeed! One of them also caught a bird out of the air once.  Crazy pups.

• Like 2
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Oh, yes - the shedding! I've watched vids of Husky owners grooming their dogs - the amount of fur they pull off is enough to 'make' another Husky! 

The good thing is they like to groom themselves like a cat so they tend to be clean dogs.  I have only bathed her once and it was because she was sprayed by a skunk. 🤢

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Oh that part sucks. With my dog , well I live in a desert not a good place for a husky, but in the summer I would literally pull grocery bags full of fur out with my hands almost weekly...

• Like 2
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Poor turtle indeed! One of them also caught a bird out of the air once.  Crazy pups.

Nika has caught a few birds as they fly through the yard and killed all the frogs in my pond. 😕

Malamutes are very pretty but are much heavier than Husky’s. Nika barely breaks 50lbs. 

2 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Oh that part sucks. With my dog , well I live in a desert not a good place for a husky, but in the summer I would literally pull grocery bags full of fur out with my hands almost weekly...

Yeah, I swear the shedding is year round. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The good thing is they like to groom themselves like a cat so they tend to be clean dogs.  I have only bathed her once and it was because she was sprayed by a skunk. 🤢

Ouch! Thank goodness skunks are only sold as 'exotic' pets here in Malaysia (and even then, very rarely). Good thing they don't exist naturally here in the tropics. *shivers*

3 minutes ago, Weikel said:

My area is very hot too - but there are different 'grades' of Husky being sold here, that have sort-of adapted to our climate. The 'standard' Husky has a very thin coat. The 'Wooly' versions are almost like the Huskies you see in the West, with thicker, fluffy coats. People usually keep their Huskies indoors and in an air-conditioned room here. Very rarely have I seen a Husky outdoors (except when they are being walked or lost). 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Nika has caught a few birds as they fly through the yard and killed all the frogs in my pond. 😕

Malamutes are very pretty but are much heavier than Husky’s. Nika barely breaks 50lbs. 

There's a Malamute-Husky mix in one of the pet stores near my home. Belongs to the owner and is basically a huge, fluffy beast. I love him. He's very gentle whenever I go there to send my terrier in for grooming. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Poor birdies and froggies! Yeah I'm not sure if they are purebred, I seem to remember something about a mix, but they look like big, pure white wolves. Gorgeous and too smart for their own good lol. 

7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Ouch! Thank goodness skunks are only sold as 'exotic' pets here in Malaysia (and even then, very rarely). Good thing they don't exist naturally here in the tropics. *shivers*

My area is very hot too - but there are different 'grades' of Husky being sold here, that have sort-of adapted to our climate. The 'standard' Husky has a very thin coat. The 'Wooly' versions are almost like the Huskies you see in the West, with thicker, fluffy coats. People usually keep their Huskies indoors and in an air-conditioned room here. Very rarely have I seen a Husky outdoors (except when they are being walked or lost). 

You can always tell when a skunk was hit by a car nearby as you're driving along! :lol:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Poor birdies and froggies! Yeah I'm not sure if they are purebred, I seem to remember something about a mix, but they look like big, pure white wolves. Gorgeous and too smart for their own good lol. 

You can always tell when a skunk was hit by a car nearby as you're driving along! :lol:

Nika is very smart. We had to change the style of door knobs in the house because she would open them like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park. 😂

• Haha 3

Here's the Husky I was talking about earlier - they call him an 'Alaskan' husky which I *think* actually means Alaskan Malamute x Siberian Husky cross. (Btw, sorry for chatting about dogs on your thread and veering off topic - I just can't help it - I really, really love Huskies! 🙂 )

• Like 2

Here's the Husky I was talking about earlier - they call him an 'Alaskan' husky which I *think* actually means Alaskan Malamute x Siberian Husky cross. (Btw, sorry for chatting about dogs on your thread and veering off topic - I just can't help it - I really, really love Huskies! 🙂 )

Sooo pretty!! Nika’s mom was a gorgeous copper color....... I had never seen a darker one before that. 

• Like 1

Sooo pretty!! Nika’s mom was a gorgeous copper color....... I had never seen a darker one before that. 

Copper ones are expensive here. The standard gray or black & white ones are cheaper. Also, pure white huskies are expensive as well. And the prices also depend on the dog's eye color. The lighter the color (blue/green), the more expensive it is. 'Fluffiness' and gender determines price as well. The most expensive husky puppies I've seen here are the triple-coat woolly huskies, which range above RM 3.8K. When the breed was first introduced to my country about 15 years ago and hit popularity, the prices stretched up to RM 8K. Even now, Alaskan Malamutes (wooly ones) which are imported from overseas fetch up to RM 9K per pup (standard price). Considering the average Malaysia earns about RM 1.8K to RM 2.5K a month, that is usually unaffordable for most. So owning a Husky here used to be for the upper class/social elites only. 

Prices have dropped over the years and a standard-coat Husky pup is about RM 1.2K to RM 1.8K. Now everyone can own one, if you're committed to keeping one. 🙂 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Copper ones are expensive here. The standard gray or black & white ones are cheaper. Also, pure white huskies are expensive as well. And the prices also depend on the dog's eye color. The lighter the color (blue/green), the more expensive it is. 'Fluffiness' and gender determines price as well. The most expensive husky puppies I've seen here are the triple-coat woolly huskies, which range above RM 3.8K. When the breed was first introduced to my country about 15 years ago and hit popularity, the prices stretched up to RM 8K. Even now, Alaskan Malamutes (wooly ones) which are imported from overseas fetch up to RM 9K per pup (standard price). Considering the average Malaysia earns about RM 1.8K to RM 2.5K a month, that is usually unaffordable for most. So owning a Husky here used to be for the upper class/social elites only. 

Prices have dropped over the years and a standard-coat Husky pup is about RM 1.2K to RM 1.8K. Now everyone can own one, if you're committed to keeping one. 🙂 

It’s sad because so many end up in shelters because people aren’t prepared for their exercise needs.  

• Sad 1
17 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It’s sad because so many end up in shelters because people aren’t prepared for their exercise needs.  

That is true. And they are high-energy dogs. Wish people would do more research before getting a particular breed. 😞 

• Like 2

What happened? Did he go carpet-surfing again?

Sorry for your loss. 😞 

Yep. My husband found him on the floor. Dude just wanted to be a dolphin soooo bad.  ☹️

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yep. My husband found him on the floor. Dude just wanted to be a dolphin soooo bad.  ☹️

Sigh. My Ornate Leopard hit one of my lids yesterday afternoon too. I couldn't find him and I searched all over - both in and out of the tank. Then by some chance I saw him swim between the LR pieces in my in-tank fuge. Pulled him out and re-released him back into the display. He wasn't happy at being caught. I think all wrasses secretly wish they are dolphins, as you've said. I haven't had one wrasse who hasn't tried to jump out of the tank before. 

• Like 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.