Top Shelf Aquatics

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh you're very welcome. My tanks looking fugly at the moment. In fattening up the blenny, I shot up nutrients and algae came back. I'm treating it right now and then hopefully once this is done all should be good in my tank again. Fingers crossed

It happens......I damn near polluted my tank trying to fatten up the Chromis and Dottyback. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
31 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh you're very welcome. My tanks looking fugly at the moment. In fattening up the blenny, I shot up nutrients and algae came back. I'm treating it right now and then hopefully once this is done all should be good in my tank again. Fingers crossed

I lost power from a blown neighborhood transformer an hour ago. Thankfully it's a warm day, but I'm sitting here trying to write a paper that's due Sunday and sweating over my poor new tank 😳😳😳😳. The battery backup sucks-it lasted maybe 2 minutes due to the amount of power the sump pulls. God I hope it doesn't screw my new tank system up!!!

• Sad 3
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I lost power from a blown neighborhood transformer an hour ago. Thankfully it's a warm day, but I'm sitting here trying to write a paper that's due Sunday and sweating over my poor new tank 😳😳😳😳. The battery backup sucks-it lasted maybe 2 minutes due to the amount of power the sump pulls. God I hope it doesn't screw my new tank system up!!!

You cant catch a break! Hopefully they repair it quickly. 

ECLS Reefer
14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You cant catch a break! Hopefully they repair it quickly. 

Well at this time they still haven't. If nothing else, I'm able to heat up water for them because I have a gas stove. The water is still 78 degrees though-have a back up thermometer thank goodness!

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
21 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Well at this time they still haven't. If nothing else, I'm able to heat up water for them because I have a gas stove. The water is still 78 degrees though-have a back up thermometer thank goodness!

Oh that sucks. I hope they get the power back on soon. Do you have an air stone at least? Also if it gets too hot you can throw some ice in a bag to keep the temp down if it starts to get to hot.

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

It happens......I damn near polluted my tank trying to fatten up the Chromis and Dottyback. 

Yeah I knew I was gonna have a battle of the algae lol. Blenny's doing good though so I can deal with the algae.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
20 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh that sucks. I hope they get the power back on soon. Do you have an air stone at least? Also if it gets too hot you can throw some ice in a bag to keep the temp down if it starts to get to hot.

Problem isn’t that it’s too hot- I keep my house cold and so the tank is slowly dropping. And not filtering. And no I have no air stone, at least not one that doesn’t require a pump to make it bubble. They re-estimated the power to come on at 6🤦🏽‍♀️. Knowing Entergy that’ll be 7 next. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Problem isn’t that it’s too hot- I keep my house cold and so the tank is slowly dropping. And not filtering. And no I have no air stone, at least not one that doesn’t require a pump to make it bubble. They re-estimated the power to come on at 6🤦🏽‍♀️. Knowing Entergy that’ll be 7 next. 

IT JUST CAME BACK!! Hallelujah!!!!!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That sucks!!! Sounds like you got power back thank goodness.. I would hook up only the smallest wavemaker you have to battery back up and make sure that power head creates surface agitation that's really all you need to keep stuff alive. (Our Coral and fish can handle a little temp drop as long as its a gradual drop) Dont worry about no filter shoot vw doesnt even run filters lol... 

• Like 3
Just now, FISHnChix said:

That sucks!!! Sounds like you got power back thank goodness.. I would hook up only the smallest wavemaker you have to battery back up and make sure that power head creates surface agitation that's really all you need to keep stuff alive. (Our Coral and fish can handle a little temp drop as long as its a gradual drop) Dont worry about no filter shoot vw doesnt even run filters lol... 

743993CB-6917-49FA-ABBB-521E96DD77E6.jpeg.cac4558ddc38380cf3061402cc054008.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
ECLS Reefer
10 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

First I have to get a better battery backup. The one I have lasted less than a couple minutes. Sounds familiar....

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh good glad the power came on 😀

I have a little battery air pump I got at dicks for when you have shinners for fishing. Works fine if the power goes out.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh good glad the power came on 😀

I have a little battery air pump I got at dicks for when you have shinners for fishing. Works fine if the power goes out.

That’s a good thought! At least something to keep it moving a little. I’m wanting to get a new battery UPS that’s capable of handling all the amps from this new tank, but it’s pricey. And a screen top since I’ve had one fish commit suicide my jumping already to the grief of one little boy. Not gonna repeat that one. 

• Like 2

That’s a good thought! At least something to keep it moving a little. I’m wanting to get a new battery UPS that’s capable of handling all the amps from this new tank, but it’s pricey. And a screen top since I’ve had one fish commit suicide my jumping already to the grief of one little boy. Not gonna repeat that one. 

I have one I bought on amazon that saved my 12 gallon......and the big tank has battery backups for both power heads. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The battery air pump is cheap too. Always have one just in case. I've even left it on while at work if the weather said severe thunderstorms. They last a pretty long time too.

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have one I bought on amazon that saved my 12 gallon......and the big tank has battery backups for both power heads. 

Which one do you have? I got the one I have from Home Depot but it’s maxed out on its capabilities because this sump runs so much higher amps. I can’t plug everything in because it screeches at me and shuts off. And then today it lasted no time at all. So that won’t do. I was home today to intervene but I won’t always be so lucky

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I gonna get one for the 75 I think

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Which one do you have? I got the one I have from Home Depot but it’s maxed out on its capabilities because this sump runs so much higher amps. I can’t plug everything in because it screeches at me and shuts off. And then today it lasted no time at all. So that won’t do. I was home today to intervene but I won’t always be so lucky

A04DE085-DEC6-4C52-9106-8E1E3BCAB8D0.thumb.png.fc7aa09a3720ded3ce6490fdd0441b87.png

thats what I use on my 12 gallon. 

The 75 has two MP 40s and each one has a vortech battery. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
24 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

A04DE085-DEC6-4C52-9106-8E1E3BCAB8D0.thumb.png.fc7aa09a3720ded3ce6490fdd0441b87.png

thats what I use on my 12 gallon. 

The 75 has two MP 40s and each one has a vortech battery. 

I don't have powerbeads I have the two Orbit wave pumps turning at 100%, every 30 seconds on surge. I'll have to look into those air pumps, while I figure out what to do about the battery backup. 

• Like 2

I don't have powerbeads I have the two Orbit wave pumps turning at 100%, every 30 seconds on surge. I'll have to look into those air pumps, while I figure out what to do about the battery backup. 

Both options are extremely temporary.  We had a bad storm and the generator died and then our small back up generator didn’t work so it was an extreme situation.  The ten dollar air pump saved the day. 

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

A small air pump will save your ass in an emergency. I bought an  ice chest with a battery operated air pump and that's what we used to bring those little hulk hermit crabs home in. 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

A small air pump will save your ass in an emergency. I bought an  ice chest with a battery operated air pump and that's what we used to bring those little hulk hermit crabs home in. 

I have three battery pumps at home just in case the power goes out (which is common here because we get lightning storms 2 to 3 times a week min.). Has saved my tanks and the livestock quite a number of times. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Thats what I bought mine for initially....... transport. 

Once we move, the first major purchase will be a whole house generator.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.