Cultivated Reef

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Ew! I hate that dancing baby! 😂

I jus thought, we haven’t seen the Allie McBeal baby in forever...

• Haha 4

Back to some regularly scheduled reef pics:

Chalice has the Cyphastrea on the run. (The Chalice is mid-poop in this pic) 🤭

FEEDEFE2-851F-4C5C-99A1-523A1F41B780.thumb.jpeg.cc0f85920252c71d2074467eb3e5f3f6.jpeg

Check out this 8” Galaxea sweeper! Tommy looks so pretty in this pic. 

6D52BF3B-0C1B-47D3-9859-AD35E23266E4.thumb.jpeg.afd95ef808d9d1b7c1cb5a4c96ab8442.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Great pics!  How big is that tang?  Is it still pretty young?

BTW...

giphy.gif

Ive had him just over a year now. He’s almost four inches long. I never thought he would make it because he was soooo skinny when I bought him.  

6DD88E0E-E04D-4F35-B538-ECC8B114AF39.gif.7daef56bdb1a0dc424ed16277790cb3b.gif

• Haha 3
40 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Ive had him just over a year now. He’s almost four inches long. I never thought he would make it because he was soooo skinny when I bought him.  

6DD88E0E-E04D-4F35-B538-ECC8B114AF39.gif.7daef56bdb1a0dc424ed16277790cb3b.gif

I have a Kole tang in my 55 (relax tang police, the 55 is going to be upgraded to a 75).  I was never a huge fan of tangs but I like my Kole tang.  While he's/she is no dory, every time I see it I hear just keep swimming.  

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, SemperReef said:

I have a Kole tang in my 55 (relax tang police, the 55 is going to be upgraded to a 75).  I was never a huge fan of tangs but I like my Kole tang.  While he's/she is no dory, every time I see it I hear just keep swimming.  

I love watching him turn on the speed and go zipping through the tank.  He’s such an aggressive fish......always trying to stab the newcomers with his butt. 😄

• Haha 4
28 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I love watching him turn on the speed and go zipping through the tank.  He’s such an aggressive fish......always trying to stab the newcomers with his butt. 😄

Mine is pretty docile and skittish.  Aside from the Tang, biggest fish is a cherub angel and well they're not very big.  I've really come to like my tang though.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah mine does that to...........little bastard was going after a kliens butterfly non stop.........

Then my kole tang went nuts and started going after a new wrasse I put in......stupid fish.......

And as far as tang police :rolleyes: had a sailfin in a nuvo 20 :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yeah mine does that to...........little bastard was going after a kliens butterfly non stop.........

Then my kole tang went nuts and started going after a new wrasse I put in......stupid fish.......

878BFDEC-0D09-4B0D-83BF-CE0C7B6A0CD0.gif.e8c1efd5abb4cc1ecc13e5a37a3dcfb3.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, spectra said:

I am no tang police, nor am I part of their crew. I believe that a hippo can live in a 48x24 tank for a year or two (if aquired small) and sold to someone with a larger tank or traded in for credit. Upgraded tanks rarely happen, and thats not a good plan.

But, i did get into a argument with someone at a lfs recently. They recently cycled a 40 breeder and were about to purchase a medium to large sailfin and put it in said tank. They bought it anyway, 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
ECLS Reefer

My brother bought a blue tang for his 180g tank and it pooped his stock to death. He said he'd never have another tang again; it wasn't worth the trouble to clean after. But then, coming from him that's rich-he pays someone else to do all that cleaning.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, JBM said:

I am no tang police, nor am I part of their crew. I believe that a hippo can live in a 48x24 tank for a year or two (if aquired small) and sold to someone with a larger tank or traded in for credit. Upgraded tanks rarely happen, and thats not a good plan.

But, i did get into a argument with someone at a lfs recently. They recently cycled a 40 breeder and were about to purchase a medium to large sailfin and put it in said tank. They bought it anyway, 😞

Yes me either......my Sailfin was maybe a 1 1/2 when I got it from Petco...............it was the best fish ever......lived in my 20 for a few weeks then into a 40 breeder and grew......I was going to put it in my 100 but wanted a bigger tank for it.....

I now have a yellow tank bread that I picked up at 1" and could see through it......was really small. Now almost 2" but is happy........

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

My brother bought a blue tang for his 180g tank and it pooped his stock to death. He said he'd never have another tang again; it wasn't worth the trouble to clean after. But then, coming from him that's rich-he pays someone else to do all that cleaning.

They do have some big poops. 

8 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

Huh.............

All fish poop........does he have a skimmer ?

Mine pulls all sorts of poop out........its nice and dark like coffee and probably tastes the same...........

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Huh.............

All fish poop........does he have a skimmer ?

Mine pulls all sorts of poop out........its nice and dark like coffee and probably tastes the same...........

Is that where they make that "special" coffee? Oh no that's bat crap.

I have no idea what all he's got on his system-he's way above me in age, ability and caste in his mind. He barely acknowledges that I exist. I've tried to talk to him about his tank, now that I've started in on this hobby, since he's been keeping salt tanks for about 15 years or so, and he sends me one word replies. I'm sure whatever he's got on his two 180g tanks are gold plated and the most expensive or creative systems known to man. My brothers are dicks, what can I say. I was raised basically as an only child. LOL speaking of that, I need to wish my oldest happy birthday before its over 😳😳😬😆😆 WHOOPS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The only tang I like is a sailfin... too bad they get the size of dinner plates. 

I thought i didn't care much for tangs until my Kole tang.  I've taken a huge liking.  He/She is bashful when people are around the tank but noticed it's coming out more and more with people present.  I really dig the bristletooth specie of tangs.  Too bad hippo tangs get huge too.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SemperReef said:

I thought i didn't care much for tangs until my Kole tang.  I've taken a huge liking.  He/She is bashful when people are around the tank but noticed it's coming out more and more with people present.  I really dig the bristletooth specie of tangs.  Too bad hippo tangs get huge too.  

I had some tangs before... they are okay but really common and not really my thing. Not say say I would never have one as they do provide a algae eating service. 

Angels, wrasses, and butterflies would be my preference if I had a large tank. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I had some tangs before... they are okay but really common and not really my thing. Not say say I would never have one as they do provide a algae eating service. 

Angels, wrasses, and butterflies would be my preference if I had a large tank. 

I would love to have a butterfly. 

So far all the new fish are doing well. Can’t get any good pics yet because they are too fast!

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.